Work outs for "morbidly" obese

My BMI says I'm morbidly obese. I'm 286 @ 5'2 being a 23 year old female. I've been over weight all my life so I'm used to having a belly and I'm really flexible and can get around very easily like normal people would. I'm not like those people that have to use a scooter or anything like that lol but my point is that I'm wondering what's the best work out for me to start? Walking 3-4 times a week for 30 mins a day is what I've been doing because I don't want to push myself so hard and I plan to lose 10-15% of my body fat before I try to lift weights because of my "joints" with me being so heavy. Am I doing the right thing? Or should I do more than what I'm doing now? Help?

Replies

• dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Jasmine it sounds like you have a great plan for yourself. Walking is excellent exercise and if you are consistent, your tolerance will increase. You can look for opportunities to take more steps- parking further from the entrance- etc. in addition to your walks. When you feel ready- add stairs- 1flight up or 2 flights down and go from there! You've got this!
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    My BMI says I'm morbidly obese. I'm 286 @ 5'2 being a 23 year old female. I've been over weight all my life so I'm used to having a belly and I'm really flexible and can get around very easily like normal people would. I'm not like those people that have to use a scooter or anything like that lol but my point is that I'm wondering what's the best work out for me to start? Walking 3-4 times a week for 30 mins a day is what I've been doing because I don't want to push myself so hard and I plan to lose 10-15% of my body fat before I try to lift weights because of my "joints" with me being so heavy. Am I doing the right thing? Or should I do more than what I'm doing now? Help?

Walking is an excellent exercise. You burn calories and have little chance of injury. I agree with the suggestion about swimming, too.

You might talk to your doctor and get an okay to do exercise more strenuous than walking. Once you get an okay, you could try different things out to see what clicks -- anything from a Zumba class to learning to run.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Anything that doesn't cause you pain and that you feel like you can stick with forever.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    I started with walking, I even got a little platform stepper and I will go up and down on that while I am at home watching tv. Since then I got a kettle bell and have been working with that lately. Still trying to find where I stashed my dumbells though.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    It sounds like you have a great plan and are approaching this sensibly (and brilliantly). There are things like Leslie Sansone on Youtube, I believe it's workouts based around walking, lots of people here love it and recommend it to people looking for something gentler to get them going or work within limitations.

You can increase your variety of activity like you say, once you get to a weight you feel more comfortable to go from.

Good luck!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited August 2017
    I started with walking in October. My SW was 254 lbs. In my basement is a fitness glider with a maximum safe weight of 250lbs. However, I didn't look at the label. I thought it was 225. When I got down to 230 or so, I actually saw the label, realized that I could safely use it and started.

Over time, I came to the forums and started learning about strength training and how it's more than just 'another way to work out'. Around February, I started using resistance tubes and some exercises off the manufacturer's website and YouTube. I've been using lighter dumbbells (up to 10 lbs) since May, slowly increasing the weights/sets/reps/difficulty level of exercise.

I'm echoing the other posters who've suggested walking. And suggesting that you try strength training with lighter weights at first. You probably have more muscle than you think from hauling your extra body fat around, and you want to retain as much of that muscle as possible. (Caveat: I'm not a trainer or physical therapist or any kind of professional. If you've been medically advised to do no strength training, ignore me.) The book I'm using—Strength Training Exercises for Women by Joan Pagano starts with 3lb and 5lb dumbbells for most exercises. Some start with no added weights or are bodyweight exercises.

Best of luck to you. You CAN do this!
  • JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Thank you guys for the support and advice ❤️
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    What you're doing is fine. Just keep your calories in check.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Walking and swimming are my "go-tos". Swimming especially. It's easy on the joints, is a full body workout, and helps with strength and cardio.

Aggie
    SW 431
    CW 376
    GW 230ish
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Another vote for walking and swimming for now.

I have cranky knees and started off with walking about 20 minutes and gradually added more time and hills.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    5'2, female, 21, SW 208, CW 195, GW 130

I'm unsure about the difference in physicality, but I set for myself two fitness goals to complete when working out. My cardio consisted of walking/jogging through C25K, and I added strength training by doing Bodypump twice a week and slowly adding weights as I go.

I think the biggest things are trying new things, proper stretching before and after working out, and pushing through the soreness IF you are not too fatigued to go on. Lightheadness and a high heart rate is very different from your legs being sore because you haven't warmed up yet.

It seems like you're setting reasonable goals for yourself and that is going to make losing weight more successful than crash dieting.
  • Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    In addition to walking and swimming, biking is low impact an easy on the joints.