30 y/o. 50lbs overweight. Sugar addict.

Options
Yep. I said it. I'm an addict. Barely drink. Don't smoke. Certainly not a street drug user. But show me a box of chocolate covered anything and I'll practically get the shakes without it.

So basically I need some friends to help keep me on track, to use the app to remind me that people are watching when I slip into a sugar addled craze and to virtually slap the junk out of mouth. I've been up and down so many times that I realize now that a good support system is more powerful than anything else and I'm too broke to hire anyone to be that for me.

Also, sweet tooth alternatives that aren't just full of aspartame or Splenda are very welcome

Help me?

Replies

• sonyacapizzo
    sonyacapizzo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm encouraged by your accountability! I am also a sugar addict. If I can't eat junk, I just don't eat at all! Let's break this sugar habit!
  • masterloafer
    masterloafer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow, just don't eat at all! I eat like a pig until I get something to hit that craving. Looking to take a note from your book!
  • CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    anything that uses Stevia instead of sugar. No calories, and 200x sweeter.
  • Farrahwithanefffffff
    Options
    I'm not a sugar addict unless you count wine, but I need more support! Add me if you like, my phone kicks me out of the app and won't let
    me message or add people.
  • mrsm913
    mrsm913 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Story of my life!
  • CapellieG
    CapellieG Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This sounds just like me! I haven't yet been able to cut it out all the way, but I've cut back a lot. I've tried to use somewhat nutritional alternatives? For example, if I have a sugar craving after a meal (always) I'll eat a dark chocolate KIND bar instead of straight up ice cream. The whole thing is 200 calories, but if I do half after lunch, half after dinner, boom?

I usually just eat the whole thing at lunch though... :|

anyway... I feel like the nuts help add more of a benefit to offset the sugar?

I hate the taste of splenda/stevia etc. I started making some smoothies lately and an over-ripened banana is really sweet to make up for any lacking there. I've heard honey is another good way to sweeten without all of the straight up bad sugar/corn syrup...

I'm not around a ton but I'm trying to be so I'm down to be friends too :)
  • Maritill
    Maritill Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I can now see there are more of me out there. I'm trying to lose 40 lbs.(would like 60) but take what I can. Watching what I eat and trying to steer clear of chocolate. I would go to WM just for a candy bar. It's only 1.5 miles away but I stopped doing that. It looks like we ALL need each other. Add me to the friends list.
  • awesome_socks
    awesome_socks Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Zero control here. Feel free to add me! Unlike drug addiction, you can't just stop eating. Everyday is a struggle, especially when triggers kick in like boredom, stress, emotional stuff, hormonal swings...
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've recently given up *almost* all added sugars, after gradually reducing for a while. I am finding that my friends and co-workers have no interest in talking about it with me, lol. Sugar has always been my weakness. Last sugar bomb for me was "National Root Beer Float Day," which apparently we celebrate at my office (8/6).

Now I've been almost added-sugar free for about three weeks and really not experiencing cravings. I can't have a "cheat day" or occasional treat or I know the struggle will begin again, but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up.

I don't use ANY artificial sweeteners, don't like the taste of them, including stevia. I do eat several servings of fruit per day, and I've been sweetening smoothies with dates.

I've had a few days with small glasses of fruit juice, still no added sugar but without the fiber the sugar hit is pretty high. I sometimes put dried cranberries in my oatmeal, they do have added sugar and I've promised myself I won't buy more when the bag is gone. Twice I had muffins that contain brown sugar (homemade). I buy bread with no added sugar and otherwise make most of my food from scratch. I have had white pasta a few times, oh, and frozen pizza.
  • cjsacto
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sorry to post so long but one thing I'd like to add: I was at a party last night and I didn't have dessert!!! I ate some yummy fresh strawberries but there were also sugary things (some of my favorites) and I cannot recall another time in my life when I passed up goodies like that. Usually I not only eat it, I slink back for seconds or thirds, then feel terrible. That's really addictive behavior. No one in my life seems to understand what a freaking big deal it is to me to be able to pass up dessert.
  • cathyschuh
    cathyschuh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been reading Dr Mark Hyman's books; he's a well respected doc from Cleveland Clinic. He talks a lot about why to cut your sugar and carbs, increase your fat intake for your metabolism. For me, it really helps to understand the science behind why I should do this.
  • cjsacto
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yes, I'm trying to get my cholesterol down, and sugar intake is part of that - we don't hear about the effect of sugar on cholesterol very much but I've been reading about it. I think Dr Hyman focuses on blood sugar, though I haven't read his book. I'm not diabetic, but my fasting blood sugar has dropped from high 90s to mid 80s. I plan to get cholesterol checked next week. 14 months ago it was 239, healthy is under 200.

I'm also eating healthy fats, trying to get enough protein (I'm a vegetarian but not vegan). I'm not cutting out carbs but trying to make my carb intake a reasonable % of my macros.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've been reading Dr Mark Hyman's books; he's a well respected doc from Cleveland Clinic. He talks a lot about why to cut your sugar and carbs, increase your fat intake for your metabolism. For me, it really helps to understand the science behind why I should do this.

He has been debunked many times over.

Don't believe any thing from Drs that are trying to sell you something.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2009/09/08/dr-mark-hyman-mangles-autism-science-on/
  • tdbgilmore
    tdbgilmore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! I turn 30 next week, am also trying to get rid of at least 50lbs., and am a complete sugar adict. I'd love to connect and cheer each other on!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Individual packs of something sweet help me stop the mass eating of sugary goodness. Sometimes just chocolate chips weighed out in bags so I know "OK Katie, you can only have 1 bag tonight so enjoy it slowly". :D
  • MegMC854
    MegMC854 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar fiend myself. Maybe not with a candy bar, but I get it in my foods a lot. And night snacking kills me. Lol. Stay focused and you're not alone!you have all of us here!
  • cjsacto
    Options
    Successfully turned down a FREE ice cream sample at the grocery store tonight. Wouldn't have messed up my calories for the day but I'm truly trying to be sugar free. It was hard.

Sugar is a binge food, but free food is a huge trigger for me, too -- I feel like I have to have it. My BF won a dozen free doughnuts last week and we didn't go down to pick them up, also gives me a little pinch of regret, but I'm glad not to have eaten them.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm encouraged by your accountability! I am also a sugar addict. If I can't eat junk, I just don't eat at all! Let's break this sugar habit!

im dealing with that too.. i rather live off of larabars than real food..
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Who doesn't like sweet stuff? (OK, some say they don't, but they are a minority and probably mad.) It's made to taste good. When we eat a lot of it, we get used to it, and when we restrict intake by force, we still want it, and the internal battle can indeed create a shaky feeling.

Nobody can or should slap you, not even you, and it's certainly nothing you should pay anyone for. I suggest you get in some good eating habits (enough food, food you like, regular meals) and a better structure to your food environment (no hidden stashes of too tempting foods), and work on your attitude (this is your coice and your choice alone).