What's the percentage of cabs, proteins and fats that I need?

Options
Hey guys, I am 18, right now I am 57 kg and my height is 167 cm. I want to lose around 5 kg. I've been training for 2 weeks and I eat healthy without starving myself because I've learnt it doesn't help. So I am focused on the calories but I reckon that It is important to know how much of which macros to eat. Right now my macros are like this:45% proteins 40% carbs and 15% fats. I will be happy to hear your opinion. Thanks for the help. ;)

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    As long as you get the minimum for protein and fat for health, you can tweak them however you want for satiety. 45% protein is probably a little excessive, 30-40% is about as much as you need, personally I would drop a little protein and increase your fat a little. Most TDEE calculator sites will give you a rough idea of percentages for low/moderate/high carb for your stats for losing/maintaining/gaining weight such as www.tdeecalulator.net
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Switch around protein and fat. But also make sure your total calories are appropriate. You are aiming for the lowest point of healthy BMI, so if it's even possible to reach it, it will be very slow. Pick the lowest weight loss rate MFP offers, and eat those calories, and eat back exercise calories too.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    up that fat
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Protein should be measured in grams. For your weight 100gm protein daily is enough, regardless of the %.
    40-60gms fat, rest carbs.
  • workhard115
    workhard115 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. So is it okay 110 grams of carbs ?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options

As long as you are getting the fat and protein you need, the rest would be carbs, so yes around 110g Carbs should be fine for you.
  • misnomer1
    Options

I would suggest 100gm protein, 40-60gm fats, and the rest in carbs to fulfill your calorie goal. You could look at weekly nutrient averages in the mfp app to give you an idea of what % comes to how many grams at your calorie goal.
  • abrasiveavocado
    abrasiveavocado Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with previous comments, increase fat intake, decrease protein, and eat back your exercise calories or life will get a lot harder.
    I'm somewhat in the same boat: 168cm, started at nearly 57kg and I'm aiming for 53kg. Better said, I don't particularly care for the weight, but I'm trying to get back to the size I was when I was 53kg. Progress is slow, but it's happening :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Firstly you do not need to lose weight as you are already at the bottom end of a healthy weight for your height.

Secondly I'd recommend 40% carbs and 30% each of protein and fat and eat at maintenance.

Lastly, as a teen you require more calories than an adult and this app does not take this into consideration. Use this calculator to determine your calorie needs.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/bodycomp/energy/energyneeds_calculator.htm
  • workhard115
    Options
    I am afraid that my carbs are too much because I eat 2 bananas a day and 1 apple for example. And considering what I've read 2 bananas is a lot when u want to lose weight. My question is whether do I eat too much fruit.
  • misnomer1
    Options
    I am afraid that my carbs are too much because I eat 2 bananas a day and 1 apple for example. And considering what I've read 2 bananas is a lot when u want to lose weight. My question is whether do I eat too much fruit.

All that matters for weight loss is calorie in calorie out. It does not matter how you consume your calories.

That being said, adequate protein is essential so that you don't lose muscle while losing weight (along with progressive lifting program).
    Adequate fat is required for normal functioning of the body.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Just curious, why are you trying to lose weight? You are a healthy weight. Are you wanting to build muscle and look more toned?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

What would you think the effect on my weight loss would be on the day I ate well over 600 grams of carbs but still had a substantial calorie deficit?

You need to change your reading material, individual foods are an irrelevance.
  • workhard115
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Just curious, why are you trying to lose weight? You are a healthy weight. Are you wanting to build muscle and look more toned?
    Well I'm working on building muscle but I also see that I need to lose weight because if I build muscle in those kgs I don't think I will be delighted. I know I look okay right now but I'm sure losing weight is the right thing. Yes, I am not obese or something but why should I be to start changing my body in the way I want it to be.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well I'm working on building muscle but I also see that I need to lose weight because if I build muscle in those kgs I don't think I will be delighted. I know I look okay right now but I'm sure losing weight is the right thing. Yes, I am not obese or something but why should I be to start changing my body in the way I want it to be.

The opposite in the case. Muscle is much more dense than fat. Ie a pound of muscle takes up much less room than a pound of fat. This means that if you lose fat while gaining muscle and stay at the same weight you will be SLIMMER than you now are.
  • workhard115
    Options
    Given your stats, you say you're 167 cm and 57 kg and you wan't to cut down 5 kg ? Why?

You are well within healthy weight range but if you go down 5 kg you're BMI is going to be 18,6 instead of a healthy 20.4 (I'm using BMI cause you're new at training)

Now you say you've been working out for 2 weeks right? 2 weeks is nothing. You're just getting started and you should not see any difference right away.

In fact, many people experience weight gain the first few week in response to the new stress you're putting on your muscles. (It's mostly water weight that goes away if you keep working out)

52 kg is not a realistic goal for a young woman that's your height.

Rethink your goal, find something realistic that you can maintain and hold on to.. then work for it. Don't copy the supermodel goal. It's not maintainable for the long run.

Well, to be honest l, I am not new at training. I've been trying to find the right way for over a year. I said 2 weeks but I've been training before that, too. It is just now that I found the right way. I mean not starving myself and not wanting to lose weight in 1-2 weeks and being unrealistic. Now I know I shoud eat right and eat more. I know I will not see a difference in 2 weeks. I am ready to change my lifestyle and to wait as long as i see a result. And I am not within the healthy BMI because according to my weight, training and height it is okay to be between 51-60 kg. So I reckon that my goal is realistic. I still look for the right way maybe I am not completely right but still. Thanks for the help.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

With your stats you will most likely not build very much if any muscle eating at a deficit. If you are not happy with your current composition and you keep losing, you will pretty much just look like a smaller version of your current self, not more toned since you most likely don't have a sufficient muscle foundation. So no, losing more weight is not the right thing. Lift weights and eat to maintain your weight.