Which has worked better for you? Watching Calories/fat or Keto

Options

Replies

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Both. Keto keeps the craving and hunger away, and calorie restriction is what makes you slim down, so if you're thinking keto, you have to do both.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I could lose small amounts of weight (~10lbs) by just cutting back on calories but I I could not maintain lweight loss through moderation. I just got too hungry.

I have lost 30-40lbs twice in my life. The first time I followed (sort of) Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet and did P90x. I ate whole foods that I could recognize as an organism: veggies, meat, seafood, eggs, fruit. I ate no flours or sugars. I even tended to mostly skip natural sugars like honey because those tend to go best on processed carbs. It was moderate to higher protein diet and ended up being low to moderate carb. I did not count any calories or macros and lost 0-8 pounds in a week, with most weeeks being 1-2 lbs.

Once I got to maintenance I allowed myself some baked goods again. Then some sugars came back. I had a severe injury and had to stop all exercise. I gained my weight back within a couple of years.

A couple of years ago I went very low carb, ketogenic, with primal types of food. It was mainly to I lost 40 lbs within about 5 months. I lost 2-3 lbs per week while counting calories (1500 kcal). Weight came off fairly easily but I still needed to count calories most of the time to lose if I included nuts or cheese in my diet. During maintenance I did not count calories. I maintain very easily though if I keep carbs below 20g. If I let carbs creep up it usually means I will be overeating or getting into refined carbs - not good for weight maintenace or for my insulin resistance.

I have maintained a 30lb loss with ease but the last 10 lbs tend to fluctate up and down over a few months -due to health issues or carb and calorie creep.

LCHF primal whole foods tends to be the healthiest and best way for me to eat. I'll continue it for the foreseeable future.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is the first and only diet plan I've tried. My physical activity has always exceeded by caloric intake and I never had an issue with weight management. Since using MFP I have been able to drill down to key data points and meet and/or exceed my fitness goals.
  • kimjschroeder
    kimjschroeder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    callriter wrote: »
    I've tried every diet known to man. In the mid 1990's I tried Jenny Craig which worked great for 2 years (lost 70 lbs) but once I stopped eating the frozen foods I gained it all back plus another 50lbs! I've counted calories which has always helped. Not too long ago my doctor diagnosed me with type 2 diabetes, so I started restricting processed foods and sugary things. I started paying more attention to my fiber intake and limited my alcohol intake. Now if I go out to dinner I try to stick to salads and meat or fish and I drink maybe 1 or 2 mich ultras. My A1c went from a 9.1 all the way down to a 5.4 in 4 months. And I have lost about 30 pounds. I started on this website just about a month ago and am trying to lose about a pound a week by limiting processed foods and drinking lots of water. My next goal is to actually start some type of exercise routine. Sorry I think I'm rambling .....

Congrats on both the weight loss and A1C. Type 2 diabetes runs in my family. One of the reasons for this weight loss push. I put on 80 lbs in about 18 months due to depression. Finally had a wake up call that I can't continue on this road and realizing I'm about the same age as my mom's diagnosis. I killed 3 generations of women on my mom's side and I dont want to be the next.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have noted that besides the calories in vs calories out, what worked? I always look at calories, but is there anything else that helped increase your loss?

You shouldn't be focusing on how to increase your loss. You should be focused on finding an appropriate calorie deficit to achieve your weight loss goal, logging accurately to ensure you really are eating at that calorie target, exercising to improve overall fitness - and then finding a way of eating that you enjoy that enables you to adhere to that calorie target until you reach your goals and then transition into maintenance.

The best diet is the one you can stick with - for many of us that means a focus on foods that provide nutrition, satiety, and enjoyment within the context of the right number of calories for our weight management goals.

This. So much this.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sorry, I should have noted that besides the calories in vs calories out, what worked? I always look at calories, but is there anything else that helped increase your loss?

Moving more, whether intentional exercise or just parking further away from the grocery store (as an example), will allow you to eat more while in a deficit. If you're talking about losing faster, then increase the deficit (without going overboard) or increase your calorie burn. Frankly, I think a slow and steady rate of loss is best for keeping it off long term. I took a year to lose 25 pounds, so that's only 1/2 pound a week, but I've been able to keep it off.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Actually, what's helping me stick to weight loss (so over time an increased loss) has been not demonizing foods I like. I check the calories, decide whether I want them, and log them if I do. No guilt, no anxiety, no worries about going off the rails, since I fit them into my day alongside more nutrient-dense fare. So I'm much more relaxed this time out.

Which is kinda good when you're a stress-eater...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What worked best for me was to just not eat the foods that tend to lead to overeating. The "no brakes" foods. Except on very special occasions. And never have them in the house.
    For me, focusing on nutrient dense plant foods, proteins, fats, and if I have grains they are nearly always whole/intact grains.

So for me that means: no sodas, no juice, no candies and pastries, and no tortilla chips in the house. Tortilla chips I will eat, OUT.
    I've been happily eating this way for about 15 years now.
  • roserly
    roserly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting and keto. Keto is for my stomach problems though, calorie counting is for my weight loss. Both are working for me
  • belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I eat keto because it makes me feel good and I have ZERO gas issues. I intermittent fast to keep a healthy calorie deficit and remove cravings/thinking about food all day. I lift weights to feel good about my self and get stronger and I do mild cardio kickboxing once in a while with the family to mix things up and motivate each other. For supplements all I take is a men's multivitamin and fish oil. Sometimes I have a zero carb protein shake to bump my protein up if I'm off my mark by too much on the macros for the day. I cook most all my own food from fresh ingredients and I LOVE to make all my food super spicy. The only food I weigh and measure before consumption is mayonnaise, all others I use my fist to measure portions if using bulk meat and just package label info for all others. Feel free to add me and my diary is always open to the public
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lost my first thirty pounds by logging all my food and keeping at a deficit. I also started moderate exercise but that was more for morale than anything else. I promised myself I'd be kind and never starve myself.

Phase 2 was a medically supervised VLCD diet for ten days to shrink my liver. Miserable. Lost ten pounds.

Phase 3 was bariatric surgery. Liquid diet followed and significantly reduced calories for months. My goal reversed to make sure I was getting enough calories in. It was tough. Another forty pounds gone.

Never followed Keto or any other special diet. I watch my fat but I am much happier when I get enough. I also like high bulk high fiber foods.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Eating fewer calories than I use is the only thing that's work for me long term. As far as "diets" are concerned, most fail long term simply because they aren't designed to be forever. Now if a specific diet is also what you need for an underlying medical condition (diabetes, Celiac disease, food allergies), that's absolutely best as you're treating a disease.

Eat less, move more. Simple and effective.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Both. Keto keeps the craving and hunger away, and calorie restriction is what makes you slim down, so if you're thinking keto, you have to do both.

But not for everyone. Keep in mind that people are different and feel satisfied with different kinds of food. A keto diet might also be very expensive in some countries, while in others, getting fresh veggies and fruits will be very expensive and difficult.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I've only lost the extra weight one time, so I don't have anything to compare that experience-but I did an IF protocol, along with restricting my calorie intake, and that worked really well for me. It also made the transition from the weight loss phase to maintenance fairly easy, and I'm now a few years into successfully maintaining the loss. Throughout maintenance I've done different IF protocols on and off, and use it when I feel that my calories are getting a bit too 'loosey goosey' lol. IF is a tool that helps me with my calorie adherence, and I'll most likely use it in some form at times, for the rest of my life, (along with being mindful of my calorie intake).
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Meaningless to watch fat. Watch calories, carbs and protein. Get the minimum recommended amount of protein or better, as little carbs as you can, and fill in the rest with healthy, tasty, satiating fat.

Except fat isn't satiating for everyone. I do much better on a high carb diet, because carbs are very satiating for me. Protein comes in at a distant second and fat does absolutely nothing for me.

Macros have different satiety levels for different people.