Quit drinking alcohol, not losing weight

Options

Replies

• wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Honestly scales are not over the top. I will bet you money what you weigh in a cup will be way more than you think....so you "think" you are on 1200 but more than likely you are on 1500+
    packages are not allowed to weigh less than stated so to make sure they are not breaking the law they can and do add more to the pack sometimes 10-20% more than stated

Like I said, I lost over 50 pounds doing it the way you say is "incorrect". I don't need everything to be 100% as long as I'm getting around what I'm aiming for. Nothing is 100% either way. An egg for example may say it's 70 calories but it may really be 60 or 80. This is suppose to be a way of life and I won't be measuring every little thing I eat forever.

Btw I never said scales are over the top, I said measuring prepackaged foods is a bit extreme..obsessive imo.

But you aren't losing by guessing now.
    You asked for advice and a scale is what 99% of people here will tell you will get the best results but if you want to carry on assuming go right ahead but know if you carry on in a stall it will be you are not using a scale and eating more than you think

I AM using a scale but only for meat. Anything else I use measuring cups. It's only been a week plus I was basically eating at maintenance this past week. I was wondering why, even at maintenance I wasn't losing because while drinking I was averaging around 4000 calories a day, going from 4000 to 2000 should result in a loss.. but again it's only been a week and I am cutting my calories down starting today. But I will not measure prepackaged foods.. that's just silly to me.

I was eyeballing stuff out for awhile, but like I said previously I'm starting to measure again, just not to the extreme like you say.

This doesn't make sense. You won't lose at maintenance even if your calorie level was higher before you started reaching maintenance. You need to be at a deficit to lose weight.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Honestly scales are not over the top. I will bet you money what you weigh in a cup will be way more than you think....so you "think" you are on 1200 but more than likely you are on 1500+
    packages are not allowed to weigh less than stated so to make sure they are not breaking the law they can and do add more to the pack sometimes 10-20% more than stated

Like I said, I lost over 50 pounds doing it the way you say is "incorrect". I don't need everything to be 100% as long as I'm getting around what I'm aiming for. Nothing is 100% either way. An egg for example may say it's 70 calories but it may really be 60 or 80. This is suppose to be a way of life and I won't be measuring every little thing I eat forever.

Btw I never said scales are over the top, I said measuring prepackaged foods is a bit extreme..obsessive imo.

But you aren't losing by guessing now.
    You asked for advice and a scale is what 99% of people here will tell you will get the best results but if you want to carry on assuming go right ahead but know if you carry on in a stall it will be you are not using a scale and eating more than you think

I AM using a scale but only for meat. Anything else I use measuring cups. It's only been a week plus I was basically eating at maintenance this past week. I was wondering why, even at maintenance I wasn't losing because while drinking I was averaging around 4000 calories a day, going from 4000 to 2000 should result in a loss.. but again it's only been a week and I am cutting my calories down starting today. But I will not measure prepackaged foods.. that's just silly to me.

I was eyeballing stuff out for awhile, but like I said previously I'm starting to measure again, just not to the extreme like you say.

This doesn't make sense. You won't lose at maintenance even if your calorie level was higher before you started reaching maintenance. You need to be at a deficit to lose weight.

I exercised 4 days last week so that would create a deficit.

If you weren't accurate with your logging, and you think you were eating at maintenance then how would you know? You should be eating at a deficit based on your TDEE minus your weekly weight loss goal, and then maybe eating back half of your exercise calories(depending on the type and duration of the exercise).
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    But I will not measure prepackaged foods.. that's just silly to me.

You know those packages of pre-cooked bacon? I used one in a recipe a while ago, and decided to weigh it just for the sake of accuracy. The box said something like 65g for the entire package. It was 116g - that's a substantial difference!

It's entirely up to you, obviously, but if you get everything else as accurate as you can and you're still not losing as much as you expect then consider weighing those things as well. :)

Congratulations on quitting drinking, though, that's a great thing you've done for your health and well being right there. Once you get your calorie allowance and everything else figured out - and it can take some time and experimentation, because like you said it's all estimates - then you'll start losing. Consistency and patience are key, but perfection isn't required! :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at roughly maintenance, and exercising some, but you are not exactly sure how many exercise calories you have and if you're really eating at maintenance or a little over, you may be "stuck" successfully at maintenance.

It sounds like you were successful before with this system. The problem with jumping down to 1200, unless you're very petite and older, is that most people can lose weight at that, but then eat so much once they're "done" that they over eat and gain the weight back. I'd go to 1500 and take it a little slower. See how much you lose in a month and if it's sustainable, and adjust accordingly. (For me mfp put maintenance at 1340 so I set to 1200. Slow going... )
  • lovetolose17
    lovetolose17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Be gentle on yourself. Cutting out alcohol is a huge change, not just in terms of calories. When I stopped drinking, I remember it took several weeks for me to begin to lose weight. Once I had my head back, I did a Whole30. It really helped me feel like I was starting over and it helped me lose weight while eating to fullness. My eating habits totally changed. That was four years ago. Good for you for cutting out alcohol -- whether it's for weight loss/gain or other reasons, it can do nothing but good for you if you were consistently drinking several drinks/beers a day. Sending support!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    If you're eating at roughly maintenance, and exercising some, but you are not exactly sure how many exercise calories you have and if you're really eating at maintenance or a little over, you may be "stuck" successfully at maintenance.

It sounds like you were successful before with this system. The problem with jumping down to 1200, unless you're very petite and older, is that most people can lose weight at that, but then eat so much once they're "done" that they over eat and gain the weight back. I'd go to 1500 and take it a little slower. See how much you lose in a month and if it's sustainable, and adjust accordingly. (For me mfp put maintenance at 1340 so I set to 1200. Slow going... )

Yes that makes sense! I tend to take a cheat day on Sundays (thats what I've always done) I know a lot of people don't agree with cheat days but it's what works for me, and eating 1200-1300 the rest of the time. Ive tried many other ways, eating 1500 everyday of the week, with no cheat never worked. My body just works differently I guess who knows lol

Then I'd just go back to doing what worked before. When I cut out alcohol I didn't lose weight but it made staying on top of my calories more accurate, even with counting my drinking calories, as I didn't munch as much at night. Give it time, you'll get there.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You're eating more than you think. Till you accurately measure actual intake, you'll likely be overconsuming calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes that's what I just said lol..I was asking how many calories I should be eating to lose..I already stated that I will be focusing more on measurements.

I think what @ninerbuff meant was you're likely not at 2000 calories, meaning the logging is off and you're eating a higher number of calories and therefore not in a caloric deficit.

For the greatest level of accuracy, weigh all solids with a food scale (including pre-packaged foods like frozen meals, protein bars, slices of bread and eggs, etc.) and measure liquids with measuring cups and spoons. Most folks who switch to the from eye-balling or even from just using measuring cups for everything are usually floored to see they're eating hundreds more calories per day than they thought.
  • PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Definitely be patient with yourself. I cut out alcohol at the end of July and have lost 3-4 pounds in August, but it didn't happen overnight. I focused on the positive changes I was making though - kept tracking and logging into MFP and kept working out. The weight loss will come. But you do have to be patient as your body is adjusting and healing as many others have said.
  • lisa2113940
    lisa2113940 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Buy a scale and use it....then after a few weeks you can see about slowly cutting calories if loss isn't forthcoming. Your body is still healing itself so be kind.

This is one of the best pieces of advice you can receive during a stall (but a week or even two or three isn't considered a stall). Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and use only measuring cups for liquids. Weigh even prepackaged food.

Not drinking alcohol will only help if it brings you into a calorie deficit.

I lost over 50 pounds from 2015-last summer, after the birth of my third child.. but when I got into the alcohol trap last year, I gained most of the weight back. I had a food scale that I used for meats, and measuring cups I used for just about everything else, I didn't weight pre-packaged foods either, honestly I just think that's a little over the top. I just need to get back to measuring, at least close enough, instead of eyeballing everything like I've been doing lately.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I was just thinking of going to 1200 calories because that's how I lost weight previously, but I will try to just work my way down slowly, and exercise 4x a week.

If you are not going to be making changes to your diet that will last the rest of your life, you'll gain back the weight. Cutting down to a drasticly low calorie limit (if you should be losing at 2000, 1200 is drastic) just to lose the weight is going to be a yoyo diet. That is likely why you gained it back in the first place. Try finding a lifestyle that you won't abandon after you hit your target weight (i.e. running in the mornings, making nutritionally dense meals that you enjoy eating, remain aware of portions and nutrition information in every single thing you eat while aiming for a modest deficit, find your ideal macro balance that leaves you feeling good and full more easily, learn to view food as fuel and not as a treat or emotionally satisfying activity)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I drink lots. just work it off.works for me.
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    First of all, congrats on quitting and changing your life. I quit several years ago and it was the hardest, but best, thing I ever did for myself.

I echo what some of the other commenters have said. Give it time. Your organs need to detox and adjust to the new normal. They are still acting like they did when you were drinking. Once they adjust, your body will start to function like it should, and you will lose weight.

Be gentle with yourself!
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    NigelNi35 wrote: »
    I was drinking about everyday for a year. About 8-9 beers plus a bunch of junk food while intoxicated. I gained 40 pounds. It's been a week since I quit drinking. I've been counting calories but staying about 2000 just because I've just felt really hungry. I haven't lost any weight and I'm a little ticked off. I'm thinking of cutting down to 1200 calories starting tomorrow, having one maintenance days week, and working out 4x a week. Does this seem like a good plan?

I've lost eleven pounds this year. In January 2017, I was 247 lbs and now I am 236 lbs. This is mainly from exercising in the park. I still drink beer regularly, though not everyday, and eat fast food occasionally. You're unfairly blaming the alcohol for the forty pound weight gain. If you don't exercise regularly no amount of counting calories and eliminating beer is going to change your weight.

Umm...no, not true. Losing weight is an effect of burning more calories than you consume. Exercise can help with that, but certainly isn't required.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has a lot of sugar calories (you were probably consuming at least 1350 calories in just alcohol); your body needs time to reset itself. Also, try to log / weigh what you are currently eating, just to give yourself some data points (in terms of when you are hungry and what you are gravitating toward food wise). Sugar / alcohol is really hard to come down off of. Be gentle as you make the transition to a healthier lifestyle.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You guys read that she was drinking 8-9 beers per day, right? Regardless of whether she "needs" to stop drinking to lose weight, drinking that volume every day is really bad for your health.

OP - good for you for quitting. Are you going to meetings or anything? There is no shame in any of that!

Personally, I would spend a couple of weeks just being focused on good, healthy food to make sure that you're getting all your vitamins and minerals. Then start worrying about your calories. When my boyfriend stopped drinking he was hungry all the time for about a month. His body was getting used to the reduced calories and I think that's maybe a symptom of detox over the longer term (mental symptom?). It got better though.