Weighing food!!

Options
Please can someone help, I'm really confused about weighing food. Do u weigh before or after cooking

Replies

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Always weigh raw to be the most accurate. How you cook food affects the calorie count.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    Always weigh raw to be the most accurate. How you cook food affects the calorie count.

This. And also remember to account for whatever you used, if anything, to cook food in. (butter, oil, etc)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    For the most part, you want to weigh raw. But be careful in that some of the MFP entries are for cooked product. So you want to use the same form that the entry is.

You need to include cooking oil, butter and such as well as the food. Spices don't add enough calories to be worth tracking (in my opinion). Condiments need to be tracked.

Bacon is the toughest one. It really depends on how well it's cooked. The same piece of bacon cooked crisp is less calories that how I like mine, but the raw entry is kinda meaningless as so much of the fat is not consumed.

If making a large dish, use the recipe builder to get the total for the raw ingredients, then weigh the final dish or split it into portions to get what the cooked portion has for calories.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Either or. Just be consistent with one way. Use USDA entries in MFP and cross reference with USDA website to make sure entry is correct.