Anybody else not exercise?

Options
So this is a topic I thought about posting a few times and stopped myself. Diet and exercise are so inextricably linked in the way we talk about losing weight and gaining health. But I've finally been successful achieving my weight goals, and I did it by giving up on the idea that scheduled exercise had to be a part of my approach. I am just sharing this out of curiosity whether anyone else has had a similar experience.

Over the years, I have tried nearly every type of physical exercise imaginable, from rock climbing to yoga, personal trainer to dance class. I hate all of it. And I do mean hate. I would do almost anything to avoid going to the gym. The only thing I enjoy is walking and - by extension - hiking. I live in the city and don't own a car, so I have 4-5 miles of daily walking already built into my life, and that's fine. Occasionally, on the weekends, I go for a hike. But forcing myself to go to the gym or to turn on the pilates video in the evening was always the thing I hated most about dieting, and the first thing to go when my motivation flagged after a month or so.

Also, it takes so much TIME. Finding time for the gym between work, class, and more work was always a struggle, and after all that I would end up eating cold salads or unappealing ready meals. So I changed my focus. I decided to use my limited time not on exercising, but on cooking. Cooking is something I genuinely enjoy. I started going to the grocery store on my way home from work and experimenting with fresh, healthy recipes. I started packaging up extra servings and bringing my leftovers for lunch rather than spending $10-15 per day on expensive sandwiches and salads.

I'm saving a ton of money, eating really well, AND I finally lost the weight. As a bonus, I feel like I have made a sustainable lifestyle change that will be a big help for the maintenance phase of this journey that I'm now entering. I love that my knees don't hurt anymore climbing the stairs and that I have more stamina now. I love feeling light and at ease in my body. But I didn't need any special exercise or gym time to accomplish this. And that, for me, was finally the key to success.

Just my own personal experience.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Walking can be exercise.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to you, I enjoy walking but not much else.

It's entirely possible to reach your goal weight without intentional exercise.

For me, it's proving to be a big challenge though. My Sedentary TDEE is only 1800, so to lose a pound a week, I'm eating only 1300 calories... which is leaving me very hungry. So I think I will need to bite the bullet and get out of my Sedentary lifestyle and find some tolerable activities I can do every day.
  • SephiraAllen
    SephiraAllen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't currently exercise, though I was swimming 3-4 times a week for a while. It wasn't really making any sort of a difference, and actually seemed to being slowing my weight loss rate down. Once I stopped going to the gym, it got better.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Lost the extra weight with no exercise factored in. Maintaining now for over 4 years, with no exercise factored in. I do enjoy some summer walking, but nothing structured and it has a very minimal impact on my calories.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I'm similar to you, I enjoy walking but not much else.

It's entirely possible to reach your goal weight without intentional exercise.

For me, it's proving to be a big challenge though. My Sedentary TDEE is only 1800, so to lose a pound a week, I'm eating only 1300 calories... which is leaving me very hungry. So I think I will need to bite the bullet and get out of my Sedentary lifestyle and find some tolerable activities I can do every day.

@toxikon You can eat anything under 1800 and it's a deficit. Every day does not have to be the same. You are not stuck with 1300 every single day to achieve your goal. And 1800 at least one day a week will help keep your hormones stable. I like to call those 1800 days maintenance days, not cheat days, because it's actually eating NORMAL. Fit in workouts you enjoy when you can! Good luck!

Oh don't worry, I don't stick to 1300 nearly as often as I'd like to. At least one or two days are at maintenance, which is my struggle. Weight loss has been very slow (like 1lbs a month) because I'm having trouble sticking to a reasonable deficit due to how low it has to be!
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do not exercise. I work two jobs and go to school so it doesn't leave much time to go to the gym or work out. I do some of my physical therapy weights/exercises for my knee and back a couple times a week but it's nothing intense. I try to do things I enjoy like hike to the beach for the day which doesn't seem like exercise but I suppose it is.

The only thing I really enjoyed doing was dancing but I injured my knee so I can't do that right now. Even if I could it probably wouldn't fit into my life financially or logistically at this point.

I've lost almost 15 pounds in a little over two months so far.
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As you get older, weight training/toning is going to become so much more valuable than the walking. Try to add that in if you can if you're looking to keep your body in shape. Just a few times a week is needed but it's really important.

Congrats for logging all those miles every week. Your heart will thank you.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I decided to take 1 month and just concentrate on my eating. My second month starts soon and I've decided that I have the eating habit down, and I can add some strength work into my schedule 3-4 times a week. During this past month, my BF and I would take walks, but nothing else. I lost 7.5lbs this month alone.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    At first I did a lot of cardio to build my CO as fear of hunger was my main obstacle in weight loss. As I got further along and realised I had lost a lot of lean muscle I added a lot more resistance training in and I now keep that up for the aesthetic. I really enjoy the way my body looks these days. My main hobby is a full contact sport, though, so I am generally happy to be active. I will say the weight training makes me way hungrier than cardio so I do have to be mindful and allow myself to go over cals sometimes to allow my body to build the muscle. That's a tricky switch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure walking 4-5 miles per day is exercise...

I exercise for my general health and well being...I ride 3-4 days per week at the moment and do some rock climbing every couple of weeks or so and lift a couple days per week. I've found it very beneficial for stress relief as well as keeping my blood pressure under control...when I start neglecting my exercise, my blood pressure always starts to climb...

I've never really intertwined weight loss with exercise...as a once upon a time competitive athlete, exercise and training has been a part of my life for most of my life...
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I actually love working out and love the changes I've seen in my body with weight training. I want to preserve muscle and strengthen my bones as I lose weight and age.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    In years past, I thought I had to "exercise" to lose weight. By that, I mean do intense cardio at least 45-60 minutes, 6 days a week. This time around, I ditched the intense cardio and just walk for activity/exercise. I used to like the feeling of intense cardio, but there was more of a dread factor when I would think about scheduling it in. It became like a chore I had to complete. I used to jog, but now my knees can't handle it.

Now I enjoy walking -- I can binge watch Netflix or Amazon shows on the treadmill, or just get up and move. I work a desk job, but my FitBit reminds me to move as much as I can at work, taking the stairs, going to the next building for restroom breaks, etc. And -bonus- it raises my TDEE, so I can EAT more! :)

Turns out, I lost (and am maintaining) 20+ pounds just fine without the intense exercise. I'm also the lowest weight I've been since I was a teenager. I have incorporated strength training -- but I lost the weight without.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Other than walking, which definitely is exercise, I do very little. I am like you and have always hated all kinds of sport. I did a bit of resistance training a while back because I know it is important but really don't enjoy it.

I have decided that being a healthy weight and walking at least 10,000 steps a day is enough to keep me healthy, even though I won't have the toned body that most desire.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Walking is the only exercise i do, roughly 10kms a day, on a good day.

I'm not going to pay to join a gym and then lie to myself that i'll actually go...