J72FIT
J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition

Replies

• J72FIT
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I did find it sort of funny how he went on about sexy, splashy diet programs that are out to make a buck, but then finished with advertising for Precision Nutrition. Bit ironic.

Does not take away from the quality of the article IMO...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I did find it sort of funny how he went on about sexy, splashy diet programs that are out to make a buck, but then finished with advertising for Precision Nutrition. Bit ironic.

eh, it kind of does. Because he basically reduces every other diet belief to hokem, because they don't agree with what his particular beliefs are. Almost every diet "belief" is backed up by some form of science. That's where they all come from, some study, somewhere, says something, and people run with it. He's not really any different. He's just trying to convince you his is to sell books, oddly for a diet system he's not even fully qualified in yet, which is interesting.

Agree to disagree...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Advertorial. Not much more.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

eh, it kind of does. Because he basically reduces every other diet belief to hokem, because they don't agree with what his particular beliefs are. Almost every diet "belief" is backed up by some form of science. That's where they all come from, some study, somewhere, says something, and people run with it. He's not really any different. He's just trying to convince you his is to sell books, oddly for a diet system he's not even fully qualified in yet, which is interesting.

Agree to disagree...

disagree all you want. I don't know if I've ever seen a diet plan that didn't have a lengthy list of citations to back it up. Even plans that differ completely.

The message I take away from that is that the most important thing in weight loss, more than the specifics of how you're dieting, is THAT you're dieting. That structure, rules, and rigorous adherence to some basic methodology, is better than a casual "just eat less" approach.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

He had aome interesting thoughts but he lost credibility at the end.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Don't know why so many are getting hung up on the sales pitch. I just ignored it...
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Don't know why so many are getting hung up on the sales pitch. I just ignored it...

they though? context is important, and it is literally the context for the entire article. He's not actually trying to get anybody to make better decisions based on the article itself. He's trying to convince them that with HIS paid help he can get you to make better decisions.

I have no affiliation or ties to PN, that said it is one of the leading diet and nutrition companies out there because it doesn't push a diet or gimmick or anything like that. They are based completely on science and use the best and latest research available. Much of their system is focused on helping people to sustainably change their habits so that they can be successful in the long term, not just about what they are eating. Mock it all you want, they are a leading authority.

^^^This.

Why anyone would "woo" this is beyond me...

woohoo?