thoughts on general 'ideal weight' benchmarks

Options
hey y'all. so something has been bugging me a little. i routinely check out what my ideal weight is - based on apparently having a 'large frame'. Im 5foot3 and the most I should apparently weigh is between 138 and 145lbs (63 and 66kg).

the smallest i've ever been in my adult life is 63kg/138lbs - 10 years ago. i was starving myself to get that small and taking drugs to cut my appetite - it wasn't natural for me to be that light.
i am happy with how i look and feel at the 70kg/155lb mark, but the benchmarks tell me that's overweight for my height. i think anywhere between 150-165lbs is what looks and feels natural for me.

currently im 83kg (182lbs) and aiming to get down to 68kg (150lbs), which is as light as i believe i can get based on what i know about my body, and without being super drastic with my diet.

i just wanted to get an idea of what other people think of these benchmarks. do we think they're outdated? wrong? not broad enough? i really want to be the healthiest version of myself that i can be - can that be with a few pounds more than what the benchmarks and doctors say?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight is important if you're a professional model, a wrestler, etc. For general health, there are better metrics, like bodyfat percent, blood tests, etc. :+1:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    aim to be happy healthy active capable and happy with what you see in the mirror. Weight is just a number

This^

The number on the scale is just ONE measurement. As you pointed out - some people have larger frames.

Also, some people have a higher % of lean muscle to fat. This is a good thing, however these people weigh MORE. Muscle is compact, so you look tight and lean but you weigh more.
  • yung_baller_86
    yung_baller_86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    cool cool! im going to be happy outside of those benchmarks. but they still bother me! :)
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Have no idea what ideal weight guidelines you're referring to, but my ideal weight is one that produces good health markers, and also one that I feel good with how I look. I'm in maintenance and I feel like I'm in my 'zone' right now at 123lbs. I'm 5ft, 6in, 38 yrs old female/mom of 3 kiddos. Last blood test put my total cholesterol in the 160s, triglycerides in the 60s, fasting glucose in the 80s and blood pressure was very good. This is me though, others will be different.
  • OliveGirl128
    edited August 2017
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Nice looking girls normally have Hig(cm)-110(kg) In your case 161sm-110=51kg in lbs: it will be112lb.
    OK, OK... don't despare. If u can reach 161-100=61 (135lb), u still will be good looking lady, especially if u are big frame girl. Big frame means, that when u wrap your wrist with your own 1st and 3rd fingers, they not gonna touch each other
    So your ideal weight is 112 -135lb. Good luck

I always thought this was an odd thing to do-when I was overweight my wrists were bigger because of fat. Now that I weigh less, my wrists are much smaller. Does that mean my frame changed?

Also a fun little side note-I went down an entire shoe size during my weight loss phase. Had to completely buy all new shoes lol.
  • yung_baller_86
    Options
    Nice looking girls normally have Hig(cm)-110(kg) In your case 161sm-110=51kg in lbs: it will be112lb.
    OK, OK... don't despare. If u can reach 161-100=61 (135lb), u still will be good looking lady, especially if u are big frame girl. Big frame means, that when u wrap your wrist with your own 1st and 3rd fingers, they not gonna touch each other

hmmm. at 160lbs i got hit on everyday.....

anywho - those fingers can touch each other. i decided to choose 'large frame' so i would get an ideal weight that seems more reasonable to me.
  • yung_baller_86
    Options
    Have no idea what ideal weight guidelines you're referring to.

basically all the BMI type calculators you find online. i think i just wanted to reassure myself that they're not the be all and end all :)
  • yung_baller_86
    Options

I always thought this was an odd thing to do-when I was overweight my wrists were bigger because of fat. Now that I weigh less, my wrists are much smaller. Does that mean my frame changed?

Also a fun little side note-I went down an entire shoe size during my weight loss phase. Had to completely buy all new shoes lol.

a whole shoe size? that is crazy!? and yep, the wrist thing is odd.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

yeah i went from 8-9 down to 6 and no cute shoes come in 6 -.- Have to wear a bunch of socks to fit shoes LOL
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

yeah i went from 8-9 down to 6 and no cute shoes come in 6 -.- Have to wear a bunch of socks to fit shoes LOL

Dudes, I just spent the last year building out my shoe collection - if I have to replace them all I'm gonna be piiiiiiiissed. I'm a third of the way to my goal and I have noticed recently that some of my previously less comfortable strappy shoes are more comfortable now, so maybe all the chub was living on the top of my foot?
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

Dudes, I just spent the last year really building out my shoe collection - if I have to replace them all I'm gonna be piiiiiiiissed. I'm a third of the way to my goal and I have noticed recently that some of my previously less comfortable strappy shoes are more comfortable now, so maybe all the chub was living on the top of my foot?

i never thought i had fat feet....like they looked boney....but somehow i lost 2-3 sizes...so probably XD
  • yung_baller_86
    Options
    Body fat is much more relevant than scale weight...I was a size 8 at 135 lbs (probably 30% body fat), currently a size 4 at 150 lbs (about 21% body fat)...I like the size 4 me better!!!

awesome! i like this very much :) how does a regular joe go about checking their body fat percentage on a regular basis?
  • OliveGirl128
    Options

Dudes, I just spent the last year really building out my shoe collection - if I have to replace them all I'm gonna be piiiiiiiissed. I'm a third of the way to my goal and I have noticed recently that some of my previously less comfortable strappy shoes are more comfortable now, so maybe all the chub was living on the top of my foot?

I lost 50lbs and had re-buy EVERYTHING! Shoes, undergarments, clothes, outerwear (new coat etc). I'm very grateful for Goodwill or I'd have gone broke lol.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited August 2017
    Options

I lost 50lbs and had re-buy EVERYTHING! Shoes, undergarments, clothes, outerwear (new coat etc). I'm very grateful for Goodwill or I'd have gone broke lol.

probably TMI but im still in the same panties as 105 pound ago me >.> I cant decide if im happy or saddened that they still fit and are cute....some are a bit loose but hold up just fine.... saved money anyway lol