Quit drinking alcohol, not losing weight

Options

Replies

• oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    NigelNi35 wrote: »
    Losing weight is an effect of burning more calories than you consume. Exercise can help with that, but certainly isn't required.

Umm....Yes, it's true. Any nutritionist is going tell you that you need to exercise to burn calories. Saying, "losing weight is an effect of burning more calories than you consume" and exercise "isn't required" makes you look like a fool. [/quote]

Nutritionist?! Mmkay.

I'm sure you'll also think this makes me a "damn fool", but there are some clear deficiencies in your understanding of how weight loss works.
  • NigelNi35
    NigelNi35 Posts: 53 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Umm....Yes, it's true. Any nutritionist is going tell you that you need to exercise to burn calories. Saying, "losing weight is an effect of burning more calories than you consume" and exercise "isn't required" makes you look like a damn fool.

You are 100% incorrect. If I burn 2000 calories a day just living life and I eat 1500 calories a day, I will lose weight. I don't need to exercise. Exercise just helps me create a deficit.

If I go on the threadmill, I burn calories. If I walk around the park, I burn calories. It's good you're watching what you eat but it's best to exercise. It would be a surprise if any nutritionist would tell you exercising isn't required to lose weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Umm....Yes, it's true. Any nutritionist is going tell you that you need to exercise to burn calories. Saying, "losing weight is an effect of burning more calories than you consume" and exercise "isn't required" makes you look like a damn fool.

You are 100% incorrect. If I burn 2000 calories a day just living life and I eat 1500 calories a day, I will lose weight. I don't need to exercise. Exercise just helps me create a deficit.

If I go on the threadmill, I burn calories. If I walk around the park, I burn calories. It's good you're watching what you eat but it's best to exercise. It would be a surprise if any nutritionist would tell you exercising isn't required to lose weight.

I've lost weight without exercise. It's not required. It's preferable for most people who are able to for their general health, but it's not required for weight loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Honestly scales are not over the top. I will bet you money what you weigh in a cup will be way more than you think....so you "think" you are on 1200 but more than likely you are on 1500+
    packages are not allowed to weigh less than stated so to make sure they are not breaking the law they can and do add more to the pack sometimes 10-20% more than stated

actually I have had products weigh less than the package states. not often but it does happen.I have contacted those companies though to let them know.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I lost weight sitting on my butt due to an injury and lost weight with no exercise and lost weight watching my calories. losing weight is really 100% about calorie intake and output, but exercise helps your body in many other ways
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I would never trust anything a nutritionist says. Registered Dieticians who actually study nutrition science and are held to a high professional standard say the same thing everybody else is saying: eating fewer calories than you burn will result in weight loss. exercise is not required. Exercise is helpful in creating the deficit but people who are bedridden will lose weight if the are in a calorie deficit.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is an effect of burning more calories than you consume. Exercise can help with that, but certainly isn't required.

Umm....Yes, it's true. Any nutritionist is going tell you that you need to exercise to burn calories. Saying, "losing weight is an effect of burning more calories than you consume" and exercise "isn't required" makes you look like a damn fool. [/quote]

Wow, some strong language from someone who is completely incorrect. Seeing that your body burns calories while sleeping, it is fairly obvious that exercise is not necessary to burn calories. Weight loss is about taking in less calories than you consume. Exercise helps burn additional calories but it isn't necessary at all to create a deficit. Before you go around calling other people foolish maybe you should attempt to educate yourself.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Nutritionists. ....I can pay 29.99 and spend 3 hours on an online course to become one.....I. wouldn't trust ANYTHING they said. Excersise is beneficial....is it mandatory for weigh loss....no and if you believe otherwise you need to study science.

Edit to add. ..
    How do bedbound unable to move patients lose weight if excersise isn't he only way you can.

You misspelled exercise and weight. Any person can read whatever scientific studies which will tell them what they want to hear. The consensus is eating right and dieting is good for you, but exercise is beneficial.

Nobody is saying it isn't beneficial. What everyone but you is saying is that it isn't required.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Nutritionists. ....I can pay 29.99 and spend 3 hours on an online course to become one.....I. wouldn't trust ANYTHING they said. Excersise is beneficial....is it mandatory for weigh loss....no and if you believe otherwise you need to study science.

Edit to add. ..
    How do bedbound unable to move patients lose weight if excersise isn't he only way you can.

You misspelled exercise and weight. Any person can read whatever scientific studies which will tell them what they want to hear. The consensus is eating right and dieting is good for you, but exercise is beneficial.

so scientific studies are wrong but a nutritionist who probably has no degree or any real qualifications is correct? anyone these days can become a nutritionist. and most states they dont need a degree or license to practice either and most arent backed by the AMA like dietitians are.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ok thank you. I won't go down to 1200 just yet.. and honestly I have been pretty bad about measuring my food too so maybe I've been eating more than I think, I have to work on that. I didn't really think about my body needing to heal itself.. thank you :)

Sounds like you have it.

I agree with those who said maybe cut it a little (100 or 200 calories) and mostly tighten up the logging and give it time. And congrats on cutting out the drinking, given the amount that's important for your health!

Makes total sense to focus on making that big change first and your body may take a bit of time to adjust.
  • NigelNi35
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yes, you burn calories from sleeping but it wouldn't be anywhere near as much as lifting weights, jogging, shooting hoops, running on the threadmills, exercise bike, or other forms of exercising.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Beneficial does not equal required. Rather than sticking to your guns over your initial statement which you seem to want to do everything you can to not say that you misspoke, why don't you ask your dietician nutritionist if exercise is "required" for weight loss. Let us know what their answer is.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Good job! It's a good place to target in your diet...booze is great, makes you feel great. Everybody loves it because it's awesome. But yeah, it's really not the best on your diet and your body.

I think 2000 to 1200 is too big of a jump...don't forget, you don't have to be perfect! You just need progress. Time marches on, and if you make some important changes like...less booze, then...it will WILL show over time.

I suggest you log your calories...I know it's a major pain, but it does help.

I personally have found more success by eating close to a calorie goal, and then well...getting some good exercise in...maybe even A LOT of exercise.

Small changes become big changes.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes, you burn calories from sleeping but it wouldn't be anywhere near as much as lifting weights, jogging, shooting hoops, running on the threadmills, exercise bike, or other forms of exercising.

Nobody is disputing that you burn more calories exercising vs sleeping. What people have a problem with is when you said:

"Any nutritionist is going tell you that you need to exercise to burn calories. Saying, "losing weight is an effect of burning more calories than you consume" and exercise "isn't required" makes you look like a damn fool"
  • NigelNi35
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    Beneficial does not equal required. Rather than sticking to your guns over your initial statement which you seem to want to do everything you can to not say that you misspoke, why don't you ask your dietician nutritionist if exercise is "required" for weight loss. Let us know what their answer is.

Okay, will do.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I was drinking about everyday for a year. About 8-9 beers plus a bunch of junk food while intoxicated. I gained 40 pounds. It's been a week since I quit drinking. I've been counting calories but staying about 2000 just because I've just felt really hungry. I haven't lost any weight and I'm a little ticked off. I'm thinking of cutting down to 1200 calories starting tomorrow, having one maintenance days week, and working out 4x a week. Does this seem like a good plan?

It takes a while to get in to a new routine and there isn't always a loss the first week of a change. I have a mixed drink a couple times per week and I always show a loss the next day so I fit it in to my calories. Be sure you are weighing everything you eat and tracking it, don't guess at it.