Activity level help

Options
Ok, so I am looking for some help with activity level. I do understand that my fitness is separate from activity.

I basically work a 40 hr per week desk job. However, I'm working on getting my miles for running up to 20 miles per week and am currently at about 15 miles per week.

I wear a heart rate monitor when working out and add this to my log, thereby allowing me to eat back exercise calories.

Would I be right in saying I should leave my activity level at sedentary, or should it be lightly active? Oh, and I'm also a homeowner, so there is always something to do around the house (mowing lawn or odd job around the house).

Currently 179lb 66" tall male in mid/late thirties looking to get to 160lbs by late fall this year (2011).

Replies

• Hermione35
    Hermione35 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sedentary says to me that you sit around at work AND at home...if you are running and doing work around the house (lawn mowing can be some decent exercise depending on how long it takes as long as you are using a push mower...), I'd put lightly active...
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'd say lightly active as well.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I also work a desk job, and am there at least 40 hours week (if i'm lucky!) I have my activity level set on sedentary even though I walk about a mile to work in the morning, plus run at least 4 days a week. I record those calories burned in my log and eat at least half of them back. I think if you keep it on sedentary, you have to be pretty diligent about recording exercise calories because if you aren't, you could be starving your body.

So, it's really all your choice. The difference between lighty active and sedentary really isn't too much in the end!
  • m8cb0y
    m8cb0y Posts: 3
    Options
    That's pretty much what I had thought. Every cardio calorie I burn gets logged, kinda easy when you remember to use the HRM. The ones I worry about are the strength training exercises, but I supposed by upping the activity level to lightly active, that may take into account strength training, since they don't usually generate any calories burned (too short a time).

I do have to admit that my 2lb/wk goal on lightly active was difficult at best. Downright impossible when family came to visit. Maybe 1.5lb/wk on lightly active may be better.