Improving 200m time?

I'm 128 lbs and run a 30 second 200m. I'm hoping to lower my time to 25 seconds by track season. I'm doing xc right now and then winter season will be track training and then spring is track. How can I shave off those 5 seconds?

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Weights, lots of explosive work, miles.

You've probably got the miles doing cc now. Check your time at the end of the season.

Weights - sprinting is totally different. Need strong thighs to burst out of the blocks. Need strong shoulders and upper arms for higher leg turn over.

But weights will be counterproductive for cross country
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Weights are good. But be sure you include explosiveness training, specifically, and things like box jumps, hill repeats.
    And then, practice sprinting. I would guess that is you are running a 30-second 200-meters that you can shave those five seconds with better technique. I'd be surprised if you couldn't.
  • semirav
    semirav Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks. I think my biggest problem is not doing sprint-float- sprint like I do on 400m ( I can do those on 52 sec). I better try adding that to my 200m
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Do you have a coach who could suggest drills specific to you since s/he probably knows you better than we do?
  • semirav
    Yeah I can ask the xc coach he coaches track and the xc summer coach who's better than the real coach.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    semirav wrote: »
    Thanks. I think my biggest problem is not doing sprint-float- sprint like I do on 400m ( I can do those on 52 sec). I better try adding that to my 200m

So you can run a 52 sec 400, but only a 30 sec 200? You do realize that's kind of impossible?
  • semirav
    I don't even know but that's what my coach said my time was. The day I timed my 200 I had had way less sleep and was coming back from an injury
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    If you can run a 52 second 400, you're a pretty good sprinter. At that level, a good coach with a plan specific to you will be a lot more valuable than generic advice from runners on the internet.