Intermittent Fasting

Options

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I really recommend talking to your doctor about your weight loss plan if you haven't already. You probably already know this but fasting can be dangerous at worst, ineffective long term at best. Even if you can do it safely, at what cost? You'd be much happier and healthier filling up on vegetables, protein, and getting a moderate work out in to cut down on calories every day instead of drastically depriving your body one day a week. You absolutely don't have to go without eating to lose weight and in my opinion, doing so is setting yourself up for failure later when your body gets overwhelmed by fatigue and hunger.

- 52lbs over a year eating 3 square meals a day
    You gotta nourish to flourish friend! Good luck and listen to your body. What works for everyone is different.

I don't think you understand what intermittent fasting is. People who use this method still get all of their daily calories, it's just within a limited time window.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I really recommend talking to your doctor about your weight loss plan if you haven't already. You probably already know this but fasting can be dangerous at worst, ineffective long term at best. Even if you can do it safely, at what cost? You'd be much happier and healthier filling up on vegetables, protein, and getting a moderate work out in to cut down on calories every day instead of drastically depriving your body one day a week. You absolutely don't have to go without eating to lose weight and in my opinion, doing so is setting yourself up for failure later when your body gets overwhelmed by fatigue and hunger.

- 52lbs over a year eating 3 square meals a day
    You gotta nourish to flourish friend! Good luck and listen to your body. What works for everyone is different.

I don't think you understand intermittent fasting at all. Intermittent fasting is a timing tool that allows people who enjoy larger meals an easier means of adhering to their calorie goals by limiting the amount of hours they eat per day. That's it. People use it for losing weight, maintaining weight, and gaining weight/muscle all by calorie manipulation. I eat 1600 calories a day across 8 hours. I am hardly depriving myself. There is no overwhelming sense of fatigue or hunger.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just started the 16:8 over the weekend. I was worried about skipping breakfast and starting my eating day at 11:00. I didn't feel hungry at all. I have no idea why, I wake up every morning thinking about what I will eat first thing. I had read that women may not lose a lot of weight but their measurements may change. That is what I hope for. So far so good, on day 4 and still feeling good. I have to stop eating at 6:30 and that has not been a problem.

IF is nothing more than a timing tool. If you want to change your shape or lose weight you will still need to achieve a calorie deficit. A progressive lifting routine will help with shape as well.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    About to go to my part time job tonight... only have had a small amount of almonds and lots of water... doing great.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    About to go to my part time job tonight... only have had a small amount of almonds and lots of water... doing great.

I'm confused, why have you only eaten a few almonds all day?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Doesn't fasting make the body go into shock & hold onto any calories you eat ? I'm just wondering cos I'm sure I heard that before

For one, we are talking about intermittent fasting and not fasting, and for two, you're describing starvation mode, which is a myth. And for three, what calories you eat would the body hold on to if you don't eat? Think
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Doesn't fasting make the body go into shock & hold onto any calories you eat ?

No.

Plus, IF is just "fasting" for 16 or 18 hours or eating a couple of very low calorie days per week while overall eating no less than you otherwise would on a calorie deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP at its best right here....
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »

As far as I know the second food hits your lips your fast is over. So those almonds ended your fast. But you will still benefit from saving the bulk of your calories for a certain time for instance if you have problems overeating at night, saving your calories for the end of the day can keep you from going over, that's not considered fasting though if you eat anything at all during the fast, I would consider it saving your calories for the end of the day.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Doesn't fasting make the body go into shock & hold onto any calories you eat ? I'm just wondering cos I'm sure I heard that before

The studies that I have read (I'm sorry, I don't have a link handy... I'm at work) say that you must fast for upwards of 60 hours to see ANY change in your metabolism, and at that, they have shown that the decrease after 60 hours is around 7%...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

For one, we are talking about intermittent fasting and not fasting, and for two, you're describing starvation mode, which is a myth. And for three, what calories you eat would the body hold on to if you don't eat? Think

Ok thanks that's cleared that up, always been a bit wary about fasting /intermittent fasting but same time curious how it works. Kinda seems logical to have maybe a day here or there free of food. Give the body a rest I suppose.

Intermittent fasting isn't a day free of food. It is fasting for part of a day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Ok thanks that's cleared that up, always been a bit wary about fasting /intermittent fasting but same time curious how it works. Kinda seems logical to have maybe a day here or there free of food. Give the body a rest I suppose.
    Glad to get that out of the way. But learning never stops. How on earth does not eating for a day seem logical, and why would your body need a rest from eating?
  • Antaste
    Antaste Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting isn't a day free of food. It is fasting for part of a day.
    It can be a "day free of food"... There are different protocols. You're talking about daily schedule (16:8, 19:5, 20:4 - the warrior diet, 23:1 - one meal a day) but there are also weekly schedules like alternate day fasting or 5:2 meaning eating for five days and fasting for two days (anything longer than that is prolonged fasting but that's not IF anymore).