Work outs for "morbidly" obese

Options
2»

Replies

• cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Dancing, yoga, or anything fun that doesn't make cause pain. Exercise is a good habit and mood booster, but doesn't do as much as people think for weight loss. It mainly increases strength and stamina. Don't worry too much about workout routine til after you've gotten down to whatever weight u are comfortable at, then u can see what ur working with and build up from there!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Low impact exercises are good, like the above suggestions for walking and swimming.

I also did some low impact cardio video workouts like the one below (aimed at Seniors or those who need to be careful with their joints) and a beginner strength training video, starting out with light weights and working up to heavier ones gradually. I do think you should try and get the strength training in as early as possible unless your doctor has advised against it, because it helps to maintain muscle whilst you lose weight. There are body weight and resistance band options if you prefer not to use weights to start with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtcl2PbMyI
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Hey chick, I started at around 250 with the proud morbidly obese BMI of 37.3 points. I started with C25K which took me longer than the "usual" 9 weeks, but slow and steady wins the race. If your knees can't put up with running yet, then the others here are right, water-based exercises, and walking will do wonders. Try to aim for the 10.000 steps a day, because any form of moving is better than not moving. I've seen people on here drop 100+lbs just by walking (and of course eating at a deficit). The more you do it, the easier it will become and you will be able to increase your efforts.

I wish you the very best on your journey!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I started Taekwondo at 420 pounds with a very understanding instructor. Do what you can do, your body will tell you if you are doing too much. At 23 your body will keep up with almost anything you ask it to.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started at 300 with walking and strength training. I definitely think you should consider strength training now because it will help you retain muscle as you lose. You will prob need to start out fairly light on lower body but that's OK. Get it going now and you will be happier in the end. With doctor's approval, of course, if you have joint issues.
  • Aftronthegreat
    Aftronthegreat Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started at 306lbs and now I'm down almost 40lbs!! I do Zumba (without jumping), walking, elliptical, and anything aqua related (aqua fitness). As long as I stay off stairs and jumping my knees are good! Best of luck with your loss journey!
  • rawrrgenn
    rawrrgenn Posts: 118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'4'' and 215 lbs and I'm starting to want to move (exercise) more too. I've found that searching up terms on YouTube like "low impact" at home exercises,for example, has been a good place to start for me. Look up 'jessicasmithtv' on YT. I've also taken to go on long walks in the park. There are also Zumba videos on YouTube which can be more fun while getting your heart rate up :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a great mindset for success. Think marathon over sprint, take things slowly - walk, swim, elliptical, weights - all good!

Throughout this process look beyond the symptoms and really question to dig down to the root causes. Our behavior is rooted in habits - "good" and "bad" - all subjective, but will either help or hinder your goals.

Write down 5 "bad" habits that hurt your goals. Prioritize these 1-5. Scratch off 2-5 and focus on #1. Replace this bad habit with a good habit - one you can do for the rest of your life. Once this habit has become fully incorporated into your routine move repeat this exercise.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I actually wouldn't recommend anything different between anyone of size: do what you enjoy safely. Not everyone "needs" to do resistance training, though it might be more beneficial in the long run, and even then resistance training doesn't need to be the formal "lift heavy iron." Gymnasts and yogis gain lots of muscle strength from creating loads in various ways through body manipulation.

Do you and enjoy!
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My BMI says I'm morbidly obese. I'm 286 @ 5'2 being a 23 year old female. I've been over weight all my life so I'm used to having a belly and I'm really flexible and can get around very easily like normal people would. I'm not like those people that have to use a scooter or anything like that lol but my point is that I'm wondering what's the best work out for me to start? Walking 3-4 times a week for 30 mins a day is what I've been doing because I don't want to push myself so hard and I plan to lose 10-15% of my body fat before I try to lift weights because of my "joints" with me being so heavy. Am I doing the right thing? Or should I do more than what I'm doing now? Help?

Just want to point out that there's probably a lot of people using MFP who ARE "those people who have to use a scooter", and there's absolutely nothing "lol" about it.

I'm sure there was no ill-intent, of course, and I wish you the best.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. Focus on calories in, and just walk as much as you can, increasing over time. No need for anything more, do not worry.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 my starting weight was 308 lbs, current weight 231 lbs and my goal is to be 140 lbs or under.. I was given an exercise bike a long time ago which was used to dry clothes lol Feb this year I got it out and started using it, 3 mins at first and slowly worked my way up through the months to do more, I don't think I would be where I am today weight wise without it, I'm too anxious to swim or use the gym so using the exercise bike and now walking has helped me so much, I usually read my kindle whilst using the bike and it helps so much plus logging food, cutting calories.
    I wish you all the best in your weight loss journey :)
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm morbidly obese according to the BMI thingy. I lift weights, play tennis and squash. All alledgedly things I should avoid for my joints but doesn't seem to do me any harm. Of course I would be a lot better at all these things if I was a bit lighter.

My advice (but what do I know) would be to do whatever excercise you want to however bad it is for your joints but ensure you stop at the first signs of pain (sudden, piercing or that don't go away after a stretch and a bath). Obviously a sort of lingering burn pain is exactly what you are looking for.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    After I made it a habit I really enjoyed going out for walks. I found that using a walking app or step counter help push me to go a little bit further. Although exercise helps I would use calorie deficit to lose weight and walking to improve my mental & physical fitness. Just moving around helps your body so much. I have now moved on to running and hit my 10K step goal at 6:00 AM this morning.