My Fitness Pal and Fit Bit Exercise Calories

Does anyone know how to register calories from Steps which syncs with my Fit Bit as well as calories from Exercise? It doesn't seem to automatically sync for both? If it syncs my steps and I then try to manually add the exercise I have done at the gym it then gets rid of the calories earnt from my steps? I would like to see how many total cals I have burnt from exercise in a day so I can compare it to my food calories.

Replies

• PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    MPF adjusts so that you aren't double counting steps for the workout and steps. For instance, if you get 1000 steps during your workout, you don't want to also count calories for those steps for both the workout and the activity. I hope that makes sense. Long story short - you are seeing the total cals burnt.

So for whatever reason, FitBit gives me step credit for a bike ride. I had 22,990 steps at the end of the day recently, but some of those steps were recorded from a 2 hour bike ride. MFP records 1367 calories for the bike ride and only 712 calories for the steps. On a different day, without the bike ride, I got 1159 calories for 21,991 steps.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I have found that if I use an app that syncs to MFP it doesn't use both fitbit and the app to record the burn just the app.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    edited August 2017
    1. Fit bit doesn't give you a step credit when synced.
    2. Fit bit sends over 2 pieces of info: step count and total calorie burn. They do not equal each other.
    3. Your adjustment is based on your total calorie burn, not how much your step count is. Fit bit says I burned 925 calories at noon. MFP then estimates what my full calorie burn for the entire is based on that and subtracts my maintenance calories.
    njtd8p254rwt.png
    57c00v1au1bs.jpg
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    When you sync your Fitbit, MFP reads the total calories burned up to that point and gives you an adjustment based on that. It has no idea if the calories were burned from exercise, general activity, or your BMR. Your best bet is to track exercise with your Fitbit (if it's capable of doing so, which all except the Zip and One would), and then you can see your calories burned when you worked out.
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    My fitbit typically says I burn 3500 to 4000 calories a day. This includes resting cal's + exercise cals. I'd say I thinks it's way to high. I don't eat anywhere close to that many cal's in a day