Who has an Instant Pot?

Options
CandyCoatedKaty
CandyCoatedKaty Posts: 4 Member
I love my Instant Pot and use it several times each week, but never with super healthy recipes! What are your go to?

TIA!

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I do! I love it as well. I use it to poaching chicken breast, whole chicken, boiled eggs, broth or stock, lots of soup(LOTS), rice, stew, so much stuff. Last thing I made was a turkey meatball soup from stuff I just had, no recipe really. Added 1 egg, 1/4 cup panko, 2 Tbsp. Parmesan, grated onion and garlic to 1 lb. turkey. Formed into meatballs. Browned in the pot in a little olive oil on saute and removed. Added rest of the onion chopped, 2 ribs celery sliced, 2 carrots, chopped, 8 oz mushrooms sliced, saute until begins to soften. Deglaze the pot scrapping the bottom clean with chicken broth. Added 6 cups chicken broth total then put meatballs back in. Cooked on soup for 13 minutes, NPR 5 then released the rest of the pressure. The meatballs were so good. next time I will add some pasta or white beans.

Before that I made a Bahn Mi style bowl. The chicken is AMAZING!!!! littlespicejar.com/chicken-banh-mi-bowls/

There is a group on MFP. It is not very active but several things posted there. I post there when I cook something. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115500-pressure-cooker-recipes-and-tips
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I use mine for beans/lentils and soup more than anything else.
  • raetucker1
    raetucker1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Got it a month or 2 ago, love it. I've steamed veggies, made brown basmati rice, coconut milk yogurt, chicken wings, beef brisket, eggs, and probably some more I can't remember
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    I JUST purchased one today, so I am bookmarking this thread! I am vegan, so I will mostly be using mine for beans, stews, and rice. I'd love to see and post pictures of IP creations :blush:
  • ritzvin
    Options
    And hard boiled eggs. . Even fresh ones are easily peel-able if hard boiled in a pressure cooker.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I make salsa chicken, teriyaki chicken, beans, and sweet potatoes frequently. The potatoes are so fast (vs the oven), cut them length-wise and put them on the steam rack with water in the bottom and set for 20 minutes +\- (depending on size of potato). I've done baked apples, and going to be doing squash pretty soon. Turkey meatballs are a great idea, I've done "porcupines" before with a beef/rice mixture cooked in a tomato sauce. Oh and it'll do roast in an hour or so! Also split pea soup is so fast and good
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love my Instant Pot and use it several times each week, but never with super healthy recipes! What are your go to?

TIA!

Never heard of it. What is it and how does it compare to a slow cooker?
  • spiritrunner24
    spiritrunner24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @earlnabby it's an electric pressure cooker. Very handy and also won't heat up the kitchen in the summer. Very easy to. Can just dump stuff in like a slow cooker and does it in an hour or so vs 4-8
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    @earlnabby it's an electric pressure cooker. Very handy and also won't heat up the kitchen in the summer. Very easy to. Can just dump stuff in like a slow cooker and does it in an hour or so vs 4-8

Thanks.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options

TIA!

My fiancée just got one, she's excited about it. I am a little intimidated by all the buttons and dials, I confess. I'd like to try making some steel cut oats in it.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Chicken tikka - homemade in less than 10 minutes. Love the instant pot!!!

10zp0q4j44do.jpg
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i make mac and cheese in mine the most. But did a lovely beef and broccoli last week that was a big hit with my husband.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Mostly for chicken breasts, hard boiled eggs, steel cut oats, and Mongolian Beef. Super easy, food always comes out perfectly and its super fast.

Here's a great link for pressure cooking times for just about any kind of food you can think of, plus altitude adjustment if that applies to you.

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooking-times/#meat
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    The instant pot is great for Indian cuisine. I made Chana (Chickpea) Masala, Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Biryani. It works for many different cuisines. It is also great for making Pho and Ramen broth. I have been very happy with the product.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »

10zp0q4j44do.jpg

Do you have the recipe? Looks great!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    And hard boiled eggs. . Even fresh ones are easily peel-able if hard boiled in a pressure cooker.

I will never EVER EVER!!! understand this. The way I boil my eggs instant pot or not, they always peel easily. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Mine don't peel easily when I cook them in a pot - I've tried so many techniques! I love cooking them in the IP. Actually it's what made me enjoy hard boiled eggs again.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I bought an IP a few months ago. I make this recipe regularly- super easy; it comes out tender and very spicy. You can add it pasta, rice, or make soft tacos- a versatile staple.

2-2&1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
    1 tsp Cumin
    1tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp kosher salt
    16 oz salsa verde

Instructions:
    1. Place all the ingredients in your Instant Pot.
    2. Set cooker to high pressure for 25 minutes.
    3. When the timer goes off, quick release the pressure and shred the chicken with two forks.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »

I will never EVER EVER!!! understand this. The way I boil my eggs instant pot or not, they always peel easily. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Mine don't peel easily when I cook them in a pot - I've tried so many techniques! I love cooking them in the IP. Actually it's what made me enjoy hard boiled eggs again.

Same here. The only thing that worked reliably for me before the pressure cooker was only using eggs that were at least a week old.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    madwells1 wrote: »

10zp0q4j44do.jpg

Do you have the recipe? Looks great!

So easy:

Saute briefly:

1 TBSP olive oil
    .5 to 1 C chopped Red onion (You can use yellow/white onions as well)
    1 chopped fresh jalapeno or fresh red chili pepper (depending on how spicy you want it)
    2-4 cloves chopped garlic
    1 inch fresh ginger minced

Throw in:

1 C chopped cilantro
    .5 to 1 C greek yogurt (plain...I usually just use 1 single serving Fage container)
    2 - 4 TBSP Garam Masala (see notes)*
    Cut up chicken breast (~1lb chunked)
    2 TBSP tomato sauce (I sometimes also throw in a cut up tomato as well--but it isn't needed)
    1 tsp kosher salt

Stir together. Set it on 10 minutes and voila.

I like my sauce a little thicker so sometimes I thicken it with something at the end after it's done, or reduce it a bit. Depending on how much water is released for your chicken you may not need to do this. It's all personal taste.

*For the garam masala, I usually use a combination of Shahi which comes in a box and you can find online or in some random stores, and some fresh garam masala that my friend makes for me because I am too lazy and she makes it all the time. I know they sell regular garam masala in the spice isle at regular groceries and that works too.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I use mine one or two times a month. I love using it for a shrimp boil, mac and cheese or to make french dip sandwiches. I haven't made too many healthy things with it. A couple amazing things I've made have been loaded baked potato and broccoli cheese soup. Definitely not healthy.