Anyone here do intermittent fasting?

Options
Tell me about it. I'm thinking of trying it out a few times a week.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I do, but only because it fits my natural eating tendencies. IF doesn't prevent over-eating, and I've gained and lost weight IFing... so ultimately it's still up to me to keep my calories/intake where it should be.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Live by IF...great way to build willpower as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What kind are you interested in?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    The information given by GBTA is actually incorrect. IF is not mere caloric manipulation. It's success lies mainly on the hormonal manipulation and it's implications on both body fat access and use, as well as the resulting health benefits.
    I'm on the 16:8 protocol for a while now and I have seen really great results, despite the fact that my caloric intake has remained the same (if not a bit higher). I'm still losing body fat eating between 2200 and 3000 calories (depending on my activity levels on the day), on high carb vegan diet. Bliss!
    Give it a go.. You have nothing to lose!

if you are losing fat then you are in a deficit of calories. you cannot lose fat if you are not in a deficit unless you are doing whats called a recomp. IF doesnt burn body fat any faster or quicker than not doing IF. I have had the same rate of fat loss doing both. you can overeat doing IF and gain weight(I have done that too). its only when Im in a deficit that I lose. and yes a deficit is proven to work for everyone,scientific fact.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    In my experience, fasting leads to binging and just makes people neurotic about food. Just eat healthy.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mgalvin12 wrote: »
    In my experience, fasting leads to binging and just makes people neurotic about food. Just eat healthy.

Depending on the type of fasting the OP is looking into, it's either a shorter amount of time to eat or two days of low calories/the remainder at maintenance
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The information given by GBTA is actually incorrect. IF is not mere caloric manipulation. It's success lies mainly on the hormonal manipulation and it's implications on both body fat access and use, as well as the resulting health benefits.
    I'm on the 16:8 protocol for a while now and I have seen really great results, despite the fact that my caloric intake has remained the same (if not a bit higher). I'm still losing body fat eating between 2200 and 3000 calories (depending on my activity levels on the day), on high carb vegan diet. Bliss!
    Give it a go.. You have nothing to lose!

Then you have been eating in a deficit. IF is nothing more than a timing tool. Your body is always burning and storing fat regardless of fasted or fed state. If it's not you need medical attention. Studies have also proven that a IF has no weight loss advantage over a normal all day eating pattern when caloric consumption is the same. It also proven to have no additional benefits to a normal diet with the same calorie consumption. There is not magical fat burning access window.
  • BettyDares
    BettyDares Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    Kind of! After reading about IF and realizing that was how my eating habits used to naturally align (starting in middle/high school) I stopped worrying about eating breakfast during the week and started eating at lunch time instead.

This approximately fits a 16:8 IF schedule most days but I'm not terribly strict. I like it a lot better since I always felt with 'breakfast' my cals at lunch and dinner had to be more limited. Any more I'm not even hungry until noon or after.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

For you maybe. I've done 16/8 or 18/6 IF for years and the opposite is true. I helps control my appetite and hunger / satiety signalling, calories and eat the way I prefer with a good size dinner. It works this way for lots of people. For those, it is eating healthy. I suggest you do you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @mgalvin12
    That actually seems back to front.
    The usual advice is that people who are prone to binging or other eating disorders shouldn't do IF.

I did 5:2 for weight loss and maintained with 16:8 for a while. Neither protocol changed my relationship with food, neither changed the healthy diet I always have. They simply changed by eating pattern - that's all.

From the 5:2 Fast Diet website:

Who is advised not to do IF?

People who are underweight or have an eating disorder
    Children (under 18 years old)
    Type 1 diabetics and diabetics taking medication for their diabetes (other than Metformin)
    Pregnant women or breast feeding mothers
    People recovering from surgery
    Those who are frail or have a significant underlying medical condition should speak to their doctor first, as they would before embarking on any weight-loss regime.
    Those who are not sure about whether it may affect their prescribed medications should to speak to their doctor first.
    People feeling unwell or have a fever
    People taking Warfarin as the variation in food intake may alter their INR.
    People with a history of serious mental health problems.

• mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't fast because my blood sugar levels drop and I get hangry. I have read posts by so many people on this forum write about eating little or fasting and find themselves binging as a result. People who normally don't binge find themselves famished and eat everything in sight. I'm not against fasting if it works for you, I'm just saying that is most certainly not for everyone.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I don't fast because my blood sugar levels drop and I get hangry. I have read posts by so many people on this forum write about eating little or fasting and find themselves binging as a result. People who normally don't binge find themselves famished and eat everything in sight. I'm not against fasting if it works for you, I'm just saying that is most certainly not for everyone.

It isn't for everyone but nobody ever claimed that it was. It has become somewhat of a fitness industry marketing hype thing. But for those that have the blood sugar drop thing, it is not the right solution. If it leads to binging, it is definitely not the right solution.

For some people, and I am one, we can delay eating indefinitely without issue. I've pretty much never felt hangry. I can wake at 6 am and not eat for the first time until 2. No problem. Once I start eating, I want to keep eating. Also, I like one good size meal. It works for me very well. I am not alone in this. Some function best this way. Some function best eating 3 meals plus 2 snacks.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Tell me about it. I'm thinking of trying it out a few times a week.

I'm trying it again. For the last two weeks, I haven't eaten before 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I'm not overly concerned with my eating window or calories for now, I'm focusing on creating the habit. There are several threads here. You also can Google:
    • Intermittent Fasting (IF)
    • Leangains
    • Fast-5
    • Alternate Day Fasting
    • 5:2 Diet
    • Rapid Fat Loss Diet

I'm usually not very hungry but I do have to deal with the boredom of not eating. If I don't have a structured schedule I find my mind wandering and I end up wasting time. But it's only been a couple of weeks. I'm also not sure I could do IF if I had to be extremely physically active.

I love the simplicity of it. I'm often in situations where I'm surrounded by food I would never buy. The fasting window provides some discipline.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Depending on the type of fasting the OP is looking into, it's either a shorter amount of time to eat or two days of low calories/the remainder at maintenance

Some people do it every other day: that's the Alternate Day Diet.