WINE

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My most disappointing discovery was how many calories were in my homemade quince and apple cider. They need to invent a truly low calorie alcohol... that also tastes nice.

I love it in the alcohol threads when someone suggests drinking vodka and tonic as a "diet" drink. I firmly believe that 98% of people who say they like vodka and tonic are lying.

Unless it's diet tonic it's not low calorie.

That sounds even worse. >.<

It is! And I like tonic. But diet tonic is horrible.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My most disappointing discovery was how many calories were in my homemade quince and apple cider. They need to invent a truly low calorie alcohol... that also tastes nice.

I love it in the alcohol threads when someone suggests drinking vodka and tonic as a "diet" drink. I firmly believe that 98% of people who say they like vodka and tonic are lying.

I love vodka and (diet) tonic, but I feel as if I'm in the minority. I don't know anyone else personally who enjoys it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I love vodka and (diet) tonic, but I feel as if I'm in the minority. I don't know anyone else personally who enjoys it.

Not tried vodka and diet tonic, but I do like gin and diet tonic.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I used to measure out 5oz of white wine and have a glass or two at night if I could fit them into my calories. At 1200 calories I needed to be careful I wasn't drinking 20% of my daily calories though. My problem was weekends, when I'd eat and drink more and forget to measure. I've stopped drinking alcohol now and find it easier than worrying about when or how much I could have of wine. I'd love a glass of white wine though.........
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Darn. I thought this was a whine page.
    I am sooo tired of all the "gaining weight on 1200 calories" threads. :/

I can gain weight on 1200 calories a meal

• Narbie
    Narbie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I, too, love wine! I wondered the same thing ... if I had to give it up in order to lose the weight. I'm encouraged by all the ones who are in the same boat and all the ideas. I drink merlot as I was told that it's also a low carb wine. I was trying to just use it as a treat on the weekends, but now I see if it fits in my calories for the day, I can drink a little. :smile:
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I love gin and diet tonic! If a bar doesn't have diet tonic, I prefer to drink it straight then with regular tonic. Regular sodas taste funny to me and irritate my bladder big time. And gin is the best alcohol imo. I've notice the older I get the more I appreciate bitter flavors like gin and black coffee.

Used to love wine but now it just gives me a runny nose (red or white) :( I miss it though
  • E_Foley
    E_Foley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Some people love bread and fit it into their daily - I love wine. I fit it into my daily. Moderation is the key.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I used to until I discovered that soda water is a different thing (duh! lol) now I'm a gin and soda with lime girl :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Narbie wrote: »
    I, too, love wine! I wondered the same thing ... if I had to give it up in order to lose the weight. I'm encouraged by all the ones who are in the same boat and all the ideas. I drink merlot as I was told that it's also a low carb wine. I was trying to just use it as a treat on the weekends, but now I see if it fits in my calories for the day, I can drink a little. :smile:

Having just noticed that woo on my first post, I would like to clarify that lots of people make it work, and you should absolutely give it a try. I *personally* couldn't make it work, but that doesn't mean you can't! I am rooting for you!
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ok...so vodka is really good in those 0 calorie flavored waters, ends up being 70 cals if you stick to one ounce of vodka ;)
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    1 serving of alcohol is between 90 to 200 calories. I like wine mixed with Spindrift - Sparkling Water (they have various flavors). I can usually get a lot of mileage out of a can of that with 1/2 serving of wine thrown in the mix. I also like one of the milder beers with a splash of orange juice.

Sometimes I have a TBSP of peanut butter (no sugar, just oil and peanuts) with some hot tea as a snack. It doesn't hit all the same notes in my brain as the alcohol, but, if I am hungry, it helps.

If you have the means to do so, have you though about starting a mommy's group? Maybe meet in a public place like a McDonalds just to get out and meet some other mom's?
  • cierrahc
    cierrahc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    BOURBON or WHISKEY with diet dr pepper, it is AMAZING
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

I used to until I discovered that soda water is a different thing (duh! lol) now I'm a gin and soda with lime girl :)

Tried gin & soda (good gin as well). Did not like it as much.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've cut back alcohol during the week and now save it for football Saturday's where I plan to throw back 6-8 blue moons! GO HAWKS!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    30 minutes on a treadmill (300 calorie burn) = 2 glasses of red wine.
  • sbdriver2
    sbdriver2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    37 years ago I married an Italian. A glass of homemade red wine with dinner was just a part of our routine. I tried to give it up when my weight started creeping up, but I found it made me grumpy. lol. I've dieted off and on over the years but since I've started using MFP I have realized that as long as I get some exercise in, my glass of wine (or 2 or 3 on the weekends) can fit into my calorie allowance. It's all about balance. (for me)
  • jennifer_runs
    jennifer_runs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Along these lines- does anyone know of any good non-alcoholic wines that can give some of the satisfaction of the taste without the calories or alcohol?
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options

I really enjoy vodka and diet tonic, especially with tons of ice and some lemon slices. Also, it means if I want more than one, I can have another diet tonic in the same glass and feel like I'm drinking more than I am :D