Calculating Calorie Intake, BMR, and Macronutrients

Options

Replies

• charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC read! Thanks oodles and oodles!!!!
  • rocky282
    rocky282 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ugh.

This may be more difficult than you realize, especially being borderline diabetic. Another problem is the meds you are currently on. I was going to suggest to you a keto diet but that may end up bringing in more health problems.

I could come up with some numbers for you, but with the health issues it might do more harm then good. Let me work on it.

Bump :) Any help is appriciated! My doctors tell me to that I am super complicated. lol That's probably why it takes me forever to figure anything health realted out.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Bump :) Any help is appriciated! My doctors tell me to that I am super complicated. lol That's probably why it takes me forever to figure anything health realted out.

This may be getting a bit personal, but do you mind disclosing what meds you are on? Private message me if you don't want everyone to know. This will help.
  • ActiveTami
    ActiveTami Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Now you've got me curious about my MICROS too. Where does fiber and sugars fit into all of this? Are they considered micronutrients?

Fiber is considered a macronutrient.

Micronutrients are your vitamins and minerals.

Macronutrients are your proteins, carbs, fats, fatty acids, fiber.

Regarding directly with weight loss, carbs, fats, and proteins are what you have to balance along with a calorie deficit under your maintenance to achieve weight loss depending on your goals, etc.

Thanks for the info!
  • joejccva71
    Options
    No problem at all.
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Friday bump
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Question, when figuring calorie intake with respect to fat/protein for example, what do you consider a protein over a fat if the food is somewhat high in both? Does it go towards protein or fat calories? For example natural peanut butter has protein and fat, so what macronutrient would I count that towards? protein or fat???
    Hope this makes sense, trying to crunch all my numbers to figure this out and math wasneverm y strong suit lol!!
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Question, when figuring calorie intake with respect to fat/protein for example, what do you consider a protein over a fat if the food is somewhat high in both? Does it go towards protein or fat calories? For example natural peanut butter has protein and fat, so what macronutrient would I count that towards? protein or fat???
    Hope this makes sense, trying to crunch all my numbers to figure this out and math wasneverm y strong suit lol!!

You would count both protein and fat because thats what the food contains.

So for example lets take 1 serving of whole natural almonds (26 pieces):

160 calories
    14g of fat
    6g of carbs
    6g of protein

You'd count all 3 macros into your daily routine. It just adds to your total for the entire day if that makes sense.
  • geesdubya
    geesdubya Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed readin your information on micros and macros, very helpful!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    So that gives me a really big range for fat intake. Between 54 and 115 grams. So as long as I'm somewhere in that range, it's okay?
  • bjalter
    bjalter Posts: 43
    Options
    bump bump
  • soychaigirl
    Options
    Hey Joe,
    Hoping you can help me with a breakdown with my numbers...it is all so overwhelming:noway:

I am 45 years old
    5'2
    119 lbs
    I have been a vegetarian for the past 18 years

I am also an active athlete...swimming, biking and running...now racewalking instead of running; I do strength training once a week
    I am now training for the Mohican 100 mile trail run for next June but I'm racewalking instead of running
    I train an hour, two hours, or three hours a day during the week...depending on what day of the week it is
    And more on the weekends
    Here is my weekly workout routine which seems to be working for me:
    Mondays-swim (hour)
    Tuesday-racewalk (hour) and bike (60-90 minutes)
    Wednesdays-racewalk (hour) and bike 90-120 minutes)
    Thursday-swim (hour), strength training (hour) and racewalking (90 minutes)
    Friday-rest day
    Saturday-bike (up to three hours)
    Sunday-racewalking (gradually builiding miles every week-this Sunday is a 16 miler)
    I was keeping track of everything I consumed manually until I found this application which seems to work for me
    I just think the numbers are way too low
    Could you help me with a better breakdown of the numbers?
    Thank you so much for any suggestions?
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this...very concise

Kevin
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Hey Joe,
    Hoping you can help me with a breakdown with my numbers...it is all so overwhelming:noway:

I am 45 years old
    5'2
    119 lbs
    I have been a vegetarian for the past 18 years

I am also an active athlete...swimming, biking and running...now racewalking instead of running; I do strength training once a week
    I am now training for the Mohican 100 mile trail run for next June but I'm racewalking instead of running
    I train an hour, two hours, or three hours a day during the week...depending on what day of the week it is
    And more on the weekends
    Here is my weekly workout routine which seems to be working for me:
    Mondays-swim (hour)
    Tuesday-racewalk (hour) and bike (60-90 minutes)
    Wednesdays-racewalk (hour) and bike 90-120 minutes)
    Thursday-swim (hour), strength training (hour) and racewalking (90 minutes)
    Friday-rest day
    Saturday-bike (up to three hours)
    Sunday-racewalking (gradually builiding miles every week-this Sunday is a 16 miler)
    I was keeping track of everything I consumed manually until I found this application which seems to work for me
    I just think the numbers are way too low
    Could you help me with a better breakdown of the numbers?
    Thank you so much for any suggestions?

I'm not Joe but...

What is your goal? You already at a healthy weight range for your height and obviously very fit with the amount of exercise you do.
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump, waiting to see how this works with diabetes. I'm not on meds but lose weight soo slow.