30 Day Shred General Questions-Comments

Options
I started doing the 30DS last week annnd i have questions---

how heavy are your weights? Did you switch weights at any point?

Is there any way to cut right to the workout? On my dvd I have to go through like 10 minutes of Jillian talking- it doesn't let me fast forward to a menu

at what point did you switch to the next workout?

Figured we could all ask and answer each other's questions here.
I also tend to mute it because I really find Jillian to be annoying :X

Replies

• fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I used 5 pound weights and only used 3 pounds when we had to do V squats. You can't fast forward through her talking, so what I did was put the DVD in without turning on the TV and I used that time to get into my workout clothes. Usually by the time I was done getting ready, she was done talking. I did 10 days per level, although I did skip some days out of sheer boredom. It's hard for me to do the same thing everyday. After that, I started Ripped in 30. Same 3-2-1 concept, but 4 workouts instead of 3. Also, (in my opinion) harder than the Shred.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I used 3 lb hand weights the entire time.

When i finish the workout, I turn off the dvd player before she is done talking. When I turn it back on the next day, it starts from where I left off and I simply go back to the menu of choices. It is a pain if you take it out of the dvd as it goes back to square 1. On days where this happened, I put it in, let it run and got ready as she talked (went to the bathroom, changed clothes, got water ready,....)

Once I made it through a workout all the way, no stopping, and pretty much maintaining the high intensity for 3 days straight, I moved on. Level 1 was 7 days, Level 2 was 12 days, and Level 3 I am at day 4 pushing my way through it. Not sure I will finish this workout as there is a ton of jumping/plyometrics in it.

Hope this was helpful!! GOOD LUCK! It is a great workout!!
  • olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    I use 3 lb weights and I don't think I'll move up, since that's all I have. I'm doing it on each level until I am comfortable throughout the entire workout, then I'm moving on through the next level.

And I can totally skip through all her talking and that nonsense! I push the "next chapter" button on my player's remote, and it glides right over all that stuff to the "level 1, level 2, level 3" screen. No waiting except at the very, very beginning of the dvd, where they're showing copyright information.
  • Bee_B
    Bee_B Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I've gone through the Shred twice and I use 3 and 5 lb weights. I know some people use 8 lb as well but I was fine with up to 5. Just go with what you feel most comfortable doing. When I was just starting, I used my 3 lb weights for the most part and gradually worked up to 5 lb.

I did each level for 10 days but making sure I took at least one rest day a week to let my muscles recover. Some people move on faster. Again, it's personal preference and what you feel most comfortable with. I waited until I could get through the level with maybe only one or two short breaks. I agree though with finding Jillian annoying at times... especially on the 8th or 9th day of the level.

Best of luck! It's a good workout and it's nice because it's quick but still challenging. :smile:
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    I guess we mostly have the same idea- I put on the dvd then go get dressed, get my weights, etc! lol
  • Shantre
    Shantre Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    On my DVD I am able to go to the menu screen and choose what level I want to do. Maybe try using a laptop. I use 5 pound weights only. I listen to her voice because she scares me and makes me finish.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I use 3.3lb weights. I use her "yapping" time to do extra shoulder and knee stretches after getting water and such. I too keep the DVD in the player so I can start right at the screen that lets you pick which level. I did L1 for 7 days then started doing L1 & 2 back to back and I just did day 4 of that. I know there are people that do each level for several weeks though. You have to listen to your body and do what feels right. On my 8th day of L1 I got to the end and felt like I was just warming up so I went into L2 just to see how far I could get and I did it all so I've been sticking with that. Good luck to you!
  • fj78
    fj78 Posts: 17
    Options
    In the menu of my copy there's an "Audio Options" part where you can choose to do the workouts with just the music - yap free! I'm halfway through Level 2 and tempted to use it but I'm not sure I'd know when to stop the exercises where I can't look at the TV the whole time - like all those plank things which make me go bright red! Maybe this is only available on the UK version?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The people without illegal copies are talking about the portion at the beginning before the menu that cannot be skipped or fastforwarded, not audio options
  • fj78
    fj78 Posts: 17
    Options
    "I also tend to mute it because I really find Jillian to be annoying"
    My post was a reply to this since everyone else had made useful suggestions about being unable to skip the intro. If my copy is illegal then amazon.co.uk have some questions to answer :)
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I missed that one and thought you'd misunderstood (I don't know you from anyone else on here).

The illegal copy was a dig at some others, not you
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i use 3lb and i think some actually most of the shoulder work is tough...the bicep and flys and other workouts i wish i had more but switching weights is just a lot of time work and money being as i dont own more than 3lb weights.

i am doing them till i can do the whole workout at high insenstiy twice before i move on...i start level 3 on monday

i dont find her annoying cause i yell back at her a lot when doing shoulder work...
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Such tiny weights could be increased by swapping for water bottles or milk jugs or something. Fitness can be free