question

Options
so if you go over your calorie goal, could you just not eat those calories the next day to make up for it? or does that logic make no sense...help!

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    no don't try and make up for it. drink a lot of water to flush extra sodium out of your system.
    just get back on track the next day with a normal calorie intake.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    That does make a lot of sense, but I don't think you should decrease your calories by more than 300 the next day.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    Yes, you can do that. It's the average that really matters. A lot of people cycle that way on purpose, in order to prevent their metabolism from adapting to a lower-calorie diet. Your weekly average is more important than every day individually.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't do it. When I close out my diary for the day - I close the book on what happened that day. I start fresh every day.

Now. Some people set a calorie goal for the WEEK and as long as they are under at the end of the week - they consider it a successful week (so they may be WAY over one day and WAY under the next...).
  • makemetinyplz
    Options
    try to excersise it off :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Who said anything about sodium?

There's nothing magical about an arbitrary 24 hour period, and your body certainly takes longer than one day to react to your intake/ expenditure. So there's nothing forbidden about averaging your calorie intake over a week (or longer)

It's a long term game, this.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think it kind of ties in with zig zag dieting which seems to work. On a cheat day, I will go over by about 500 calories, but the next few days, I usually have around 200 left each day. I've been losing weight a bit slower this way but it's the best way for me so that I don't deny myself of anything. It's the long run that I'm working towards.