Workout attire for the mature woman

Options
Hey ladies, if you were designing workout clothing, what would you do differently?

Replies

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    mgalvin12 wrote: »
    Hey ladies, if you were designing workout clothing, what would you do differently?

Longer tank tops. I recommended them to a company called Title IX years ago but they never came out with anything. I recently bought a tank from Lululemon but it was ridiculously expensive.

I'm mature now, but even when I was young I was always turned off by the tight, skimpy high-cut leotards and leggings look. I always wore a T shirt, shorts and/or running tights.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    mgalvin12 wrote: »

Longer tank tops. I recommended them to a company called Title IX years ago but they never came out with anything. I recently bought a tank from Lululemon but it was ridiculously expensive.

I'm mature now, but even when I was young I was always turned off by the tight, skimpy high-cut leotards and leggings look. I always wore a T shirt, shorts and/or running tights.

I feel like tank tops are so long already. They annoy me because the go around my belly and make me look pregnant. I always cut them shorter.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    CTcutie wrote: »
    Make tank tops NOT cling to mah belly!!

Same.

I'd like a pair of shorts that aren't corny and long to the knees, but that my *kitten* also does not eat. For now I pretty much can't wear them.

Watch for lululemon clamdiggers. It's an older style but they may bring them back. Luon with a ribbed waistband and fit to the knee. One of my fav styles.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I run to colour. My girlfriend, a contemporary, doesn't. I love spandex for leggings, and looser, wicking tops. Make sure there are little pockets.

There is not a decent runner's windbreaker out there that isn't pink. I want a windbreaker that covers my butt.

There's nothing more miserable than to come in from a cold run, sweating, with a frozen butt.

And while you are at it, add reflective tape.

Look into the Target C4 line of running jackets. They may hit your needs.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm tall, I'd love to have just regular Medium sized t-shirts or tanks to be longer. 99.999% of all tops hit right in the middle of my butt. To get them longer, I have to get XL or XXL, or men's...and then they're baggy all over. Hate. I want my crotch and my butt covered.

Also, another "tall" complaint: I would LOVE to find bike shorts, or just spandex shorts, that actually hit right above my knees, as they show in the PHOTO on the package. Due to long upper legs, these shorts hit several inches above my knee, so my excess lower-thigh flab bulges out at the bottom. GAWD I hate that. I've even bought Tall from Title IX spandex shorts (thinking their quality would translate into a correct tall fit), and they're still too short. I can't fold up capris, the lower hem is too tight when it reaches my lower thighs. Ugh.

In essence, if a company decides to make a "tall" version of anything, can you not think of the truly tall women instead of this faux-tall?

(jeans, too...."tall" sizes are still too short for me in most cases).

JCPenney's Xersion brand and Made For Life brand carry tall women's. At 5'11'' they are almost too long!

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I run to colour. My girlfriend, a contemporary, doesn't. I love spandex for leggings, and looser, wicking tops. Make sure there are little pockets.

There is not a decent runner's windbreaker out there that isn't pink. I want a windbreaker that covers my butt.

There's nothing more miserable than to come in from a cold run, sweating, with a frozen butt.

And while you are at it, add reflective tape.

Look into the Target C4 line of running jackets. They may hit your needs.

C9... oops

https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=C9+jacket
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hanes.com has some really comfortable clothing for men that I like for myself. They have: 100% cotton, tagless T-shirts (also long sleeved for cooler days -- these also make great sleep shirts); 100% cotton Jersey jams, with deep pockets (my i-Phone plus fits and I safety pin it closed) and draw strings (I cut them and make shorts for the summer); and their women's bras (Hanes Women's Constant Comfort™ X-Temp® ComfortFlex Fit® Pullover Bra 2-Pack - which go to 3X) are also very comfortable.

If you are the creative type, you can also decorate the shirts and pants and make them more girly by sacrificing one of the colored T-shirts for appliques and stripes. So, for the price of a pair of Lululemon yoga pants and a Saturday afternoon, you could have some really cute and highly functional work out clothing.

Ref: http://www.instructables.com/id/Monstrously-Easy-Applique-on-T-Shirts-and-More/

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would like to not display the company logo.
    I like solid colors not patterns or lots of writing. More color choices between black or neon pastels would be nice.
    I like the fit of Danskin Now activewear pretty well.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. How do you all feel about wearing skin tight pants in public? I think I look good, but I see other women and I can't help think that it looks like they forgot their skirt! Any thoughts?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    I don't like or wear shorts, leggings or "compressing" pants for working out so I find my choice of pants very limited, and that really annoys me. I have three straight legs pants (one for cooler months) and I take care off them like a baby. I am also short and petite so getting something in my size is like looking for a needle in a haystack. All the workout gear is made for body types that only exist in the brochures or the runway. I don't have or buy special tops for the gym; I just wear whatever is getting too old to wear in the street.

I don't run or jog, but I did buy a nice sport bra at Soma on line and I may get another one later. They are not cheap, but they are pretty and worthy.

@mgalvin12
    I am not fond of tight clothing, specially pants. I am short, a small pear shape and old, and I firm believer that women need to dress according to their shape and to certain extent, according to their age. Some ladies can wear tight pants in public with a nice long tunic, and some wear them anyway regardless of their body type or other people opinions. I can't so I don't.

This is what I believe and stand for but women can, and they will, dress the way they like or want. But since you asked, I am giving you my opinion.