WINE

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Vodka Tonic (I do drink diet) and a good gin and tonic. It does make me cringe when people think that regular tonic is low calorie though, it's actually as high in cals as Coke.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    good non-alcoholic wines

I know those are words, but I can't understand what they mean.

:)

I think this is one of those "you can only have two of these things at once" kind of situations.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Vodka Tonic (I do drink diet) and a good gin and tonic. It does make me cringe when people think that regular tonic is low calorie though, it's actually as high in cals as Coke.

It was a surprise to me when I looked. Hence why I'm using diet now.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I had to cut wasaaay back to make this work. Like from a bottle (or two really big glasses) a day to a 5oz glass maybe twice a month.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

It was a surprise to me when I looked. Hence why I'm using diet now.

I honestly didn't know either! I wonder how many people giving that advice specify diet or are similarly mistaken. Either way, I'll just stick to a moderate number of full calorie beverages.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Along these lines- does anyone know of any good non-alcoholic wines that can give some of the satisfaction of the taste without the calories or alcohol?

Isn't non alcoholic wine just grape juice?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    geltner1 wrote: »
    Sounds as if you may have a problem with wine. Start by only drinking wine three days per week. Get used to those non-alcohol days and you will begin to enjoy them. I've had this experience.

What exactly made you jump to the OP "has a problem with wine"? Many people consume alcohol a few times per week whilst maintaining a deficit to lose weight and without it being evidence of a "problem"...

I got "potential problem" from the OP as well. It's not drinking per se that's a problem, it's why and how much, and reading between the lines there could be some red flags about both in the OP.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love it in the alcohol threads when someone suggests drinking vodka and tonic as a "diet" drink. I firmly believe that 98% of people who say they like vodka and tonic are lying.

I can't stand tonic...too sweet for me. But I love Vodka and club soda with a splash of lime...maybe some muddled mint. Since Club soda is flavorless, this probably grosses you out too, but it really is good!

Wine though. Nothing compares to an awesome cab.
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Along these lines- does anyone know of any good non-alcoholic wines that can give some of the satisfaction of the taste without the calories or alcohol?

Isn't non alcoholic wine just grape juice?

No, non alcoholic wine is made just like wine, then the alcohol is removed. Juice is never allowed to ferment. If that makes sense.
  • melodysf10
    melodysf10 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    melodysf10 wrote: »
    I have a couple of glasses usually on Friday and Saturday night. I just fit it into my calories. I make that easier by not eating back exercise calories most of the time. My problem is that the wine I like is probably the highest calorie wine out there (of coirse).

Just curious what kind of wine that is..?

It's a Cabernet savignon (did I spell that right?) port style, raspberry and chocolate. It's made at a little winery in the middle of nowhere about 7 minutes from my house. If they happen to be out of that the caramel, chocolate orange, or coffee are all wonderful as well. Serving of that type of wine is 3 oz at about 80 calories PER OUNCE. At least that's what I think. That's what I have read, so that's what I log.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    My most disappointing discovery was how many calories were in my homemade quince and apple cider. They need to invent a truly low calorie alcohol... that also tastes nice.

I love it in the alcohol threads when someone suggests drinking vodka and tonic as a "diet" drink. I firmly believe that 98% of people who say they like vodka and tonic are lying.

I actually really like Vodka with Soda Water (not too different and even lower calorie than "Diet" Tonic. I just pop some fresh lime and maybe some mint in for flavour, it's quite refreshing.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love wine, myself. Just limit yourself to a 6oz glass and use a liquid measuring cup to avoid over pouring.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I remember i used to try desperatly to make wine fit. Id even go hungry sometimes (was dumb to try to fit 2 glasses of wine into my nutritionally uninformed 1200 calorie eating body)

For sure you can fit it, But be extra mindful of what else you eat. And i wouldnt suggest nightly but no reasoning behind that besides what iv already said, Dont want to go hungry for wine, Or lack proper nutrition. But many people have

Eventually you may be like me and phase out of it, I realized i much prefered eating more food because yumm. Can make a huge plate of food for 250 cals i had saved for wine lol.

Weird how that changed honestly. So many changes happen you never expect lol.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My most disappointing discovery was how many calories were in my homemade quince and apple cider. They need to invent a truly low calorie alcohol... that also tastes nice.

Unless it's diet tonic it's not low calorie.

yes. I think tonic adds ~120 calories. (versus club soda which is 0 calories).
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It's the same as any other treat really. I like a drink as well and there's nothing wrong with that! Just make sure that what you want fits into your calories, if not, do a bit more exercise or don't have it :) Good luck x
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I love vodka and soda with a slice of lime, or gin and tonic with a slice of cucumber! I drank it way before I started thinking about my weight. It's just got to not be "house vodka" because that's vile. The type of tonic also makes a difference
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Unless it's diet tonic it's not low calorie.

That sounds even worse. >.<

It is! And I like tonic. But diet tonic is horrible.

Slimline fevertree is nice. Slimline schwepps is not.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    BritanyJ wrote: »
    Any winos out there?? I stay at home with my two year old and let's just say I love my wine!! How can I fit that into my diet?

I would rather die than give up my wine and occasional brandy. Also the occasional beer, rum etc.... What good is living if you’re not enjoying the fruits of life.
    I work out extra hard so I can have what I want when I want it. And if I’m a wee bit over my ideal body weight so be it! Love me as I am or piss off eh!
  • macw1_2000
    macw1_2000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! Wino here. That's what got me chunky. Started Jenny Craig and I walk my *kitten* off in the morning and at night in order to be able to have two glasses at night. NOT giving up my wine.