Is this symptoms of Over-training? How to recover quickly. Finished 4th week of MAX30

I just finished 4th week of Insanity Max 30. I stuck to it good , missed only 2 days all month.
This week I suddenly started to feel weaker, more tired, hungry, veryyyyy irritable (My poor little toddler felt my grumpiness) and can't get a good sleep like I usually do.

I went to a wedding last saturday and drank too much and then tuesday had supper with friends and had a few beer. Then wednesday morning I woke feeling like this. So I'm thinkin my body didn't have enough chance to recover this week. Do you think this is why i have symptoms of over training (Or am i just tired out).. or am I actually over-trained?

Do I start Monday with Month 2 of Insanity Max 30? OR should I take a week break this week? (I'm relaxing hard core this weekend, just wondering if two day will be enough recovery to start back monday). Maybe do a less intense workout every second day and then next monday start month 2 of insanity?

Should I eat above my calorie goal over the weekend, maybe eat at maintenance? I still have about 5 pounds to lose. I lost 3 pounds in the first month on insanity max.

I just want to recover fast and not make a mistake and ruin all my gains. (I have history of being over trained and it took me 3 months to be able to walk up the stairs normally without struggle, that was nuts).

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Nothing wrong with taking a break or even an active break (maybe a walk or modifying workout). I have no idea what your calories or macros look like, but sometimes adding more carbs can help with energy especially on workout days. Be sure you are drinking enough water as well.
    There are alot of things that can cause your problems listed- not eatting enough, hormone levels(time of the month, limiting carbs, too much exercise, lack of sleep, dehydrated(you mentioned drinking alcohol which doesn't help)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Not sleeping can be a sign of over-training. Your grumpiness and lack of energy could be because you aren't eating enough calories. Lack of energy could be either of the above, the kind of foods you are eating, and dehydration from drinking too much. If you feel like you need a break, take it. Can't hurt and might help.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    If you're not sleeping because you're in any kind of pain from working out, take a break. The rest of it sounds more nutrition- related.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you're asking whether you're overtraining, you probably are. Take a few days break (still keep lightly active like walking or whatever you do) and make sure you get good nutrition.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I've done Max30 twice. I don't really see how anyone could over train with a program that is 30 minutes a day, has modifications for every move, and even incorporates rest and a one day recovery workout into the program.

I completed the 2 months on modifier track after not walking for months healing a torn meniscus.

Is this the only workout you are doing or are you adding other workouts with it? What is your deficit look like? With only 5lb left to lose, and the fact that you lost 3 the past month I suspect this is more an issue of having to steep a deficit. When someone is so close to goal 0.5lb a week is the max recommended loss rate.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2017
    This does not sound like over training, it takes a lot more to consider the body over trained. I have been over trained with blood work showing all types of abnormalities. If you think you have, get to a doctor.

I think time off and yes, depending on your daily routine even outside of exercise can warrant break of a few days to week.. Look at your nutrition (macros and micros) and assure your hydration is dialed in. Also do not forget to add in where you are in your cycle mid or beginning.
  • FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I've done Max30 twice. I don't really see how anyone could over train with a program that is 30 minutes a day, has modifications for every move, and even incorporates rest and a one day recovery workout into the program.

I completed the 2 months on modifier track after not walking for months healing a torn meniscus.

Is this the only workout you are doing or are you adding other workouts with it? What is your deficit look like? With only 5lb left to lose, and the fact that you lost 3 the past month I suspect this is more an issue of having to steep a deficit. When someone is so close to goal 0.5lb a week is the max recommended loss rate.

I am under 150 so the nutrition plan says the range (roughly) from 1150-1350 on plan A (http://pledgetostayfit.com/insanity-max-30-nutrition-plan-nutrition-max). So that's what I eat about ( I weigh all my foods) at the ratio carb 40% protein and fat at 30%. I read that once carb stores deplete you can get tired and cranky. So over the weekend I tried increasing my carbs and last night I actually had a workout where I could actually work through and I took 2 days rest (Saturday and sunday). But should I dial my carbs back down again now.. or should I keep them up just a little?
  • FemmeAndi
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This does not sound like over training, it takes a lot more to consider the body over trained. I have been over trained with blood work showing all types of abnormalities. If you think you have, get to a doctor.

I think time off and yes, depending on your daily routine even outside of exercise can warrant break of a few days to week.. Look at your nutrition (macros and micros) and assure your hydration is dialed in. Also do not forget to add in where you are in your cycle mid or beginning.

thank you for the reply and the guidance
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    FemmeAndi wrote: »

I am under 150 so the nutrition plan says the range (roughly) from 1150-1350 on plan A (http://pledgetostayfit.com/insanity-max-30-nutrition-plan-nutrition-max). So that's what I eat about ( I weigh all my foods) at the ratio carb 40% protein and fat at 30%. I read that once carb stores deplete you can get tired and cranky. So over the weekend I tried increasing my carbs and last night I actually had a workout where I could actually work through and I took 2 days rest (Saturday and sunday). But should I dial my carbs back down again now.. or should I keep them up just a little?

Keep them up a little since that seemed to help.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

Keep them up a little since that seemed to help.

I agree. If you are within your MFP calories and getting adequate protein for muscle repair you will do great. Low carb isn't for everyone.

I did not do the food plan the second time I did the program. I needed more flexibility.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    lets just say I totally get this, did 8 miles a day with 1.5 hours of weight training for 30 days. My millage I did under load, my body feels so spent. Im to the point eating is hard and I have to focus on my nutrition. Now that my 30 days have concluded I have shifted focus to an active recovery mode. Ive reared off the cardio almost completely and been doing a more maintenance routine with the weights. I usually give my self about 5-7 days of recovery after huge stents of intense training. BUT LISTEN to your body when it gets lethargic, hard to eat, hard to focus just cut way back take that 5-7 days. You will be stronger upon the return.
  • FemmeAndi
    lorrpb wrote: »

Yah and my nails have become brittle, my hair has become really dry and wiry :( This seems to happen every time I follow these plans to a T... Like I follow the macros (maybe I don`t hit my fat percent a lot some days) but for the most part you know I follow it good. Sucks cause it's like I hit this wall all the time. Last night I binged but like healthy stuff (greek yogurt, apple n peanut butter, and oatmeal with some chocolate chips but lol that was a lottttttttt to eat while watching a 1 hour show) LOL But I calculated it.. and I ate somewhere around maintenance level so thats not too bad.