Can I eat Ice cream everyday and still lose weight?

I love mint chocolate chip ice cream! Should I cut back?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Yes. Calories are what matter for weight loss.
    Depending on your calorie goal, you may find fitting in icecream every day makes it difficult to adequately satisfy your macro/micronutrient requirements for good health. I like eating large volume, so frequent icecream consumption would take up too many calories I would rather use on other foods...
  • joeneely71
    joeneely71 Posts: 49 Member
    4 oz of mint chocolate chip ice cream - a relatively small but reasonable serving - is 250 calories per Baskin Robbins. I suppose that with that knowledge you can make your choices.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    sure! plan it into your daily calories and then plan the rest of your day around it (I do a bowl of cereal each night before bed and I'm down 11lbs and now maintaining)
  • 76Crane76
    76Crane76 Posts: 133 Member
    Try Halo ice cream...I believe they have that flavor. You'll get your protein & lower-fat and calories.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Eat what you like, within your specific target goals, whether it be macros or straight calories. When I want ice cream, I fit it in. Sometimes I prioritize other food, sometimes I don't :smiley:
  • propstome
    propstome Posts: 11 Member
    Thank you all for your great tips and suggestions!
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Breyer's lists 1 cup as 150 calories. That is more manageable than the Baskin Robbins listed above! Yes, you can put that into your daily calory count.

HOWEVER, I suggest you'll find weight lose easier if you're primary goal is overall health. I'd suggest you let treats be a treat & not a routine.

When I'm being disciplined, I have one or two desserts a week. So, I limit it to per-week, not per day. Elimination has a bunch of traps of it's own. I've also put the rule of no desserts without company. In other words, if I'm alone, no desserts. That limits it, too.

Yea.. I have what you'd consider 'dessert' at least once a day and I'm good. Most days, I eat cashews/melted chocolate in the evening. Yesterday, I had a candy bar AND potato chips mid afternoon. While I care A LOT about overall health, I also like the idea of putting a sustainable, low term plan in place.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Breyer's lists 1 cup as 150 calories. That is more manageable than the Baskin Robbins listed above! Yes, you can put that into your daily calory count.

HOWEVER, I suggest you'll find weight lose easier if you're primary goal is overall health. I'd suggest you let treats be a treat & not a routine.

When I'm being disciplined, I have one or two desserts a week. So, I limit it to per-week, not per day. Elimination has a bunch of traps of it's own. I've also put the rule of no desserts without company. In other words, if I'm alone, no desserts. That limits it, too.

Yea.. I have what you'd consider 'dessert' at least once a day and I'm good. Most days, I eat cashews/melted chocolate in the evening. Yesterday, I had a candy bar AND potato chips mid afternoon. While I care A LOT about overall health, I also like the idea of putting a sustainable, low term plan in place.

ditto - I am for about 80% healthy food and 20% fun food and no issues either losing weight or maintaining (currently) and my blood work (aside from my non-functioning thyroid) is some of the best my doc says she has seen
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I had Halo Top mint chocolate chip the last two nights. Lower in calories, and still tastes fantastic! You'll be able to eat half the pint for 120 calories.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member

Overall health also includes a healthy relationship with food, not to mention all other aspects of life outside of food. Restricting "treats", unnecessary "rules", or labeling foods healthy vs junk/treats can lead to a failure to adhere or maintain a lifestyle in the long run. Many individuals on this site have lost and continue to maintain their weight by eating whatever foods they choose, as long as it fits into their caloric plan. While your rules may work for you, they aren't necessary, nor do they make weight loss "easier".
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Depends on the person. I do restrict treats, but I have them regularly. Example: this past Saturday, we had guests for lunch. One brought a bag of 'gourmet' red licorice twists. One brought chocolate-covered almonds. Over the last few days, I've been rationing out the licorice, 2 pieces at a time, logging it all. I discovered that 6 almonds made up a 28gram serving and I'm going through that over the next little while, too. What I restrict is mindless eating, grabbing a handful and then another till the bag is gone.

I love to bake, but I keep to recipes that are fewer than 200 calories per serving.

Once a week, I have a frosted shortbread cookie.

I definitely find it easier to know that I can HAVE treats, but I feel full on my daily calories when I limit them.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    sure, as long as you aren't eating, like, a whole tub! Work it into your calories and make sure you do some light exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Yep. I do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    If you are overweight, you might need to cut back. But you don't have to cut it out entirely. I eat sweets daily and often my sweet is ice cream.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    dieselbyte wrote: »

Overall health also includes a healthy relationship with food, not to mention all other aspects of life outside of food. Restricting "treats", unnecessary "rules", or labeling foods healthy vs junk/treats can lead to a failure to adhere or maintain a lifestyle in the long run. Many individuals on this site have lost and continue to maintain their weight by eating whatever foods they choose, as long as it fits into their caloric plan. While your rules may work for you, they aren't necessary, nor do they make weight loss "easier".
    GottaluvFood's rules sound like a healthy relationship with food to me, and they seem to make weight loss easier for her. I can't see any touting of good food/bad food, or cutting out anything, quite the opposite, in "Elimination has a bunch of traps of it's own". Don't conflate necessary with effective.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    dieselbyte wrote: »

GottaluvFood's rules sound like a healthy relationship with food to me, and they seem to make weight loss easier for her. I can't see any touting of good food/bad food, or cutting out anything, quite the opposite, in "Elimination has a bunch of traps of it's own". Don't conflate necessary with effective.

Maybe you missed the part when I stated GottaluvFood's rules may work for you, or maybe you read "elimination" in my post, when I never made mention to it. My response is about restriction and labeling food. Poster suggested OP will find weight lose (sic) easier if treats are not a routine. My point is any food can be a routine, as long as it fits overall caloric/macro intake goals. Posters "rules" may sound healthy to you, but IMO, limiting a food to once or twice a week simply because it is viewed as a "treat" isn't healthy - nor is making a rule of no desserts without company, especially if poster leads with "overall health as a goal". Again, that's my opinion, but I never stated poster was wrong. While this may work for GottaluvFood, it surely isn't necessary - and one can make the argument that this may not be an effective long term plan. OP "loves" mint choc chip. Why limit something you love if it can fit? There was no mention to cutting out anything in my post, because poster didn't suggest cutting out foods. Maybe read my post again?
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    You can do what you choose for your weight loss. Be aware of the calorie content and account for it.

I personally had peanut m&ms as my must have treat for quite a while. I learned very quickly that portion control with them was a challenge so I put allowed portions of them into containers and prelogged. After a few weeks, I grew frustrated with how hard it was to fit in nutritionally dense food along with them in my daily calorie amount and stopped eating them daily. Now I might have a portion a couple times a month. I still love them. I just leave them out of my plan most of the time and don't miss them.