Gaining Muscle

I have been successful in gaining 6lbs of muscle. I started at 110lbs and now I am currently 116lbs!

I'm wondering if I go back to a calorie deficiency in order to lower my body fat percentage can I still gain muscle? If so, any tips? I lift heavy at least 3-4x a week and 1 day of intense cardio.

Thanks!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Sounds like you are doing well! However, the 6lbs you gained was unfortunately not pure muscle, at least 50% (if not more) was fat gain as well. If you decide to cut now to lower your bodyfat % you may not see that much difference with a smaller amount gained, that is why some people may have to bulk/cut several times before they are satisfied.

When you cut, the aim is to preserve as much of the muscle you built, most likely you will not build much or any in a deficit. When I cut, I keep protein high (at least 1g per lb bodyweight), continue to lift, and keep the deficit small to moderate (nothing too aggressive).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I also concur the 6 pounds being all muscle gains. Its hard to gain muscle being a women, and you maybe have gained 1/2 of your weight gain in muscle.

Sounds like you are ready to recomp, eat at maintenance (with a slight deficit if you choose), continue to lift and be sure you consume ample protein during this process daily. I look at protein, especially if adding in a small cals deficit for you to be around 1 gram per your body weight.

Recomp takes quite a while to start achieving any measurable results, so be patient and stick with your regime! Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    It has taken a whole year to gain the 6 lbs ladies, so thanks but my trainer does keep track my measurements. It's not mostly fat.. especially since it's my stomach that has gotten flatter.. I have abs now. The gains have mostly been lower body with a little upper body.

so how much fat do you now want to lose?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2017
    I have been successful in gaining 6lbs of muscle. I started at 110lbs and now I am currently 116lbs!

I'm wondering if I go back to a calorie deficiency in order to lower my body fat percentage can I still gain muscle? If so, any tips? I lift heavy at least 3-4x a week and 1 day of intense cardio.

Thanks!

No, you won't gain muscle in a deficit.

With proper programming/nutrition , you will continue to gain strength if you were in a caloric deficit.

Depending on how small a deficit you would be at, you could still see changes in you body you might desire.
  • destinykeith22
    destinykeith22 Posts: 17 Member
    It has taken a whole year to gain the 6 lbs ladies, so thanks but my trainer does keep track my measurements. It's not mostly fat.. especially since it's my stomach that has gotten flatter.. I have abs now. The gains have mostly been lower body with a little upper body.

I would like to get down to 10-15% body fat to see definition in my muscles. Right now I'm a fit thick chick. I'm 5 even, and I weigh 116lbs.. most of that is my lower body..
  • TavistockToad

I would like to get down to 10-15% body fat to see definition in my muscles. Right now I'm a fit thick chick. I'm 5 even, and I weigh 116lbs.. most of that is my lower body..

i thought 10-15% for a woman is competition level and not at all sustainable for any length of time?

do you know what your current bodyfat % is?
  • sardelsa

i thought 10-15% for a woman is competition level and not at all sustainable for any length of time?

do you know what your current bodyfat % is?

This.

10-15% is very lean for a woman and not a place you want to stay too long. I am not ripped but I see decent definition in my muscles and I am nowhere near that level, if anything I am closer to 20%.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I'm at 21% body fat right now and have baby abs. I'm 5'3, 135lbs. It's possible that at your size (5', 116, which is very small), you don't have the muscularity to really see muscle definition.

If this is the case, eating at a deficit isn't going to reveal muscles that you haven't built. It's possible to gain 6lbs of muscle in a year; I put on 10. I think you need to continue what your doing, continue to build muscle, and then cut.
  • destinykeith22
    I'm at 21% body fat right now and have baby abs. I'm 5'3, 135lbs. It's possible that at your size (5', 116, which is very small), you don't have the muscularity to really see muscle definition.

If this is the case, eating at a deficit isn't going to reveal muscles that you haven't built. It's possible to gain 6lbs of muscle in a year; I put on 10. I think you need to continue what your doing, continue to build muscle, and then cut.

Thank you! I lift heavy and have went up in weight over the past year. It just seems that no matter how much I lift my muscles are staying the same. I have hit a tough spot.. I also use the correct supplements.... Protein and BCAAs

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I bulked for a full year...maintained...cut (which was terrible)...bulked again. It's a process and takes a long time and a lot of patience. I've been working on bulking/cutting for almost 3 years now and am finally pleased with my level of muscularity.
  • TavistockToad

Thank you! I lift heavy and have went up in weight over the past year. It just seems that no matter how much I lift my muscles are staying the same. I have hit a tough spot.. I also use the correct supplements.... Protein and BCAAs

if your muscles are staying the same its because you're not in a surplus or enough of one, or you arent on a progressive overload lifting programme.
  • sardelsa

You don't need supplements to gain muscle. If you are not in surplus or your training is not optimal, that could be why. It also takes time as mentioned.. I am going on my third bulk cycle.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

if you bulked for a year at a .5 per pound week gain, that would be two pounds a month and would mean that you gained 24 pounds with 12 of it being muscle and 12 being fat.

since you bulked for a year at 6 pounds you can assume that you gained three pounds of muscle and three pounds of fat, and that is a fairly aggressive assumption for a female.

the only way to gain six pounds of pure muscle in one year is to use steroids...and even that won't ensure 100% muscle gain ..

what is your trainer using to measure this 100% muscle gain...?
  • destinykeith22

if your muscles are staying the same its because you're not in a surplus or enough of one, or you arent on a progressive overload lifting programme.
    I

Okay, thank you! I may up my surplus then! I usually do the heaviest I can for 6-8 reps. If I can do more then I go heavier..
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member

Your build sounds similar to mine. I'm the same height and I have pretty decent muscle mass. Not a ton, but a good amount. At 104/105 I'm probably in the 20%BF range and have oblique definition but not abs unless I really restrict carbs to lose water weight. I have to get around 100 or below to be fairly lean with abs. If you've been lifting heavy for a while at your current weight, you probably have a bit more muscle mass so you may not have to get as low.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Btw, here's proof that I dropped the fat and gained muscle... it's been a year.. I'm positive it was a mostly (not all) muscle gain

no one is doubting your progress...

we are just doubting the 6 pound of pure muscle gain...

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Btw, here's proof that I dropped the fat and gained muscle... it's been a year.. I'm positive it was a mostly (not all) muscle gain

no one is doubting your progress...

we are just doubting the 6 pound of pure muscle gain...

^This. Great progress, but 100% muscle gain and zero fat gain isn't possible - even with gear.