Where would you like to retire?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Wife and I are currently doing a lot of work on our home in preparation of selling in 2019 when we retire. Plan is to move to Vegas. Summerlin area. Just started researching homes there. Picked Nevada because of the Tax breaks. I want to go to Culinary School. Can ride year round. Homes are affordable.

Plus, if you live in Vegas, you know your kids will come visit.
  • 1Coolwhip
    1Coolwhip Posts: 126 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DonM46 wrote: »
    Fredericksburg, Texas

The Schlitterbahn!!!!!!!!!

I want to retire where I can take a trip to visit cold weather if I feel the need.
  • bmaw01
    bmaw01 Posts: 40 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't like to use the word retire. If you look up its history you see it was first introduced in Germany during the late 1890's as a way for the "old people" to make way for the young. They picked 65 because back then people were dying before 70. Other countries saw this and just emulated the same system. In America, retirement was brought about as a way to keep the spirits up for the factory workers. The carrot was placed in front of them, and they were told that they could have the carrot if they worked 40 sad years in the factory, so they could one day retire on their little pension.

Saving money for old age is important. I'm not saying be reckless and live like you're 20 forever. I just like to look at it differently than most people. In my case, I have investments that allow me to live the way that I want. TODAY. Not in 30 years, but today. I'm all about having freedom in my life. Freedom to choose what I want to do today!

I've lived in South Korea, China, Thailand, Vietnam, and Japan. I'm going to go on a 3 month meditation retreat next year. I plan to visit parts of Mexico, South America and Europe in the next few years. I also have plans to purchase a condo in Vietnam. All before the age of 47.

BTW, I've seen way too many people who retire and they either drink themselves to death or they gain a lot of weight and have life threatening health issues. Retiring doesn't mean to detach from life. Just my opinion, of course.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Wherever @CoffeeAndContour lives
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden has an interactive map of their locations so I'll probably hit the road and see where it takes me.
  • Corprina
    Corprina Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Costa Rica. Vacationed there last November. The people are very nice. It is exquisitely beautiful and diverse. Won't be able to eat out much though, way too expensive!
  • cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In my 40's.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If all goes well, I'll have a home base somewhere where international travel is pretty easy and spend much of my time traveling the world with my wife...come home for a bit and then hit the road again. That's how my wife's parents roll and it seems pretty awesome...

Otherwise, somewhere that I can stretch my dollars...we've entertained Costa Rica and Colombia is also on our radar...we visited Colombia last year and it was friggin' incredible...
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Buena Vista, CO
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    xxJAFLxx wrote: »
    Costa Rica. Vacationed there last November. The people are very nice. It is exquisitely beautiful and diverse. Won't be able to eat out much though, way too expensive!

What?? What part of CR are you visiting?
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Dalyan in Turkey probably. It has mountains, beaches and a whole lot more
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Skrib69 wrote: »
    Dalyan in Turkey probably. It has mountains, beaches and a whole lot more

Plus a location like that is three steps ahead of both the authorities and those fellas from tijuana.
  • TreasureDiver1
    TreasureDiver1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Inverness.

I used to live in Inverness when I was just a kid! :) - Hope you get there.