Workout attire for the mature woman

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear leggings in public without a long shirt. I have a nice enough rear, but a lot of loose belly flab due to 90 lb weight loss, and it needs a little help to look good.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with my workout bottoms but I stick to Nike or Old Navy compression. As far as tops go I'm a tank top person cause I feel constricted in anything else. Not that I have been cycling I can appreciate a back large pocket big enough for my cell phone because a few tank top options like that for when I am lifting solo at the gym would be nice. Since I tend to work out in the mornings I do run errands afterwards in my workout clothes. It's very common to see. Unless I was already working out for the day I wouldn't put on workout clothes to just go out in.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    mgalvin12 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the feedback. How do you all feel about wearing skin tight pants in public? I think I look good, but I see other women and I can't help think that it looks like they forgot their skirt! Any thoughts?

I don't usually exercise in public.
    I would feel fine wearing knit activewear leggings or shorts to exercise in public though. My pants seem thick enough to me not to look like tights missing a skirt. I would probably wear a looser hip length shirt.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Real pockets. Not these tiny little pockets you can't put anything in.

AMEN!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    cenafan wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    CTcutie wrote: »
    Make tank tops NOT cling to mah belly!!

Same.

I'd like a pair of shorts that aren't corny and long to the knees, but that my *kitten* also does not eat. For now I pretty much can't wear them.

Watch for lululemon clamdiggers. It's an older style but they may bring them back. Luon with a ribbed waistband and fit to the knee. One of my fav styles.

I think I have those actually. They're the best I've tried yet, still a LITTLE long.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm 62. Right now I wear leggings, a sports bra, and some kind of shirt. If my middle trims out I would wear a shimmel with no issues. And I went to the grocery this evening straight from the gym.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Really what I want is a good workout bra. I'm 6' tall and I haven't been able to find a bra for YEARS. Because my torso is so long, it means my bust line is MUCH lower than a shorter woman. So all those "throw over your head" bras don't work for me because they end at the middle of my boobs. And because I am a swimmer I have really large shoulders, so if I actually manage to get one of those things over my head, then I'll never get it off without dislocating my shoulders. Currently I'm wearing ten year old bras. They are pretty sad looking things.

And if we are on the tall thing, longer everything. Longer sleeves, longer tops, longer pants, longer tights, longer shoes, longer shorts. A longer bike shirt would be nice too, which would mean the pocket starts at my low back instead of at my bra line. I'm "mature" at 51, but what I really want is stuff that fits my frame. But if you want specifically mature fashion - I'm less likely to wear neon or patterned tights. Gimme solid black or grey. But lap swimming swimsuits? Gimme all the crazy colours!! Yes to high cut, but a little longer please so they don't creep up my butt while flip turning. Just no giant back cutouts that come around to the sides, cuz they don't flatter quite the same as on a young thing.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. How do you all feel about wearing skin tight pants in public? I think I look good, but I see other women and I can't help think that it looks like they forgot their skirt! Any thoughts?

I almost always run some errand or other after the gym, and I'm not changing, so I'll be wearing my leggings/capris to the store often. Never bothered me. I do throw on my sweater as it gets chilly being sweaty by all the fridges.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    In answer to your original question, less binding waistbands. I'd love a magical elastic waist that is super snug but never adds a crease. I've come across a couple pairs that are engineered just so and hit at just the right place to work but still, more of that.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Pockets!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options

If by "public" you mean "the gym" then I have no problem with it.

• Machka9
    Options
    Regarding pockets on gym attire ...

I will, sometimes, wear one of my sleeveless cycling jerseys to the gym. Cycling jerseys are designed with pockets.
  • Machka9
    Options
    You can see an example of my usual choice of workout attire in my avatar and in other profile photos. BTW - I'm 50. Do I qualify as a "mature woman"?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Skipjack66 wrote: »
    Really what I want is a good workout bra. I'm 6' tall and I haven't been able to find a bra for YEARS. Because my torso is so long, it means my bust line is MUCH lower than a shorter woman. So all those "throw over your head" bras don't work for me because they end at the middle of my boobs. And because I am a swimmer I have really large shoulders, so if I actually manage to get one of those things over my head, then I'll never get it off without dislocating my shoulders. Currently I'm wearing ten year old bras. They are pretty sad looking things.

And if we are on the tall thing, longer everything. Longer sleeves, longer tops, longer pants, longer tights, longer shoes, longer shorts. A longer bike shirt would be nice too, which would mean the pocket starts at my low back instead of at my bra line. I'm "mature" at 51, but what I really want is stuff that fits my frame. But if you want specifically mature fashion - I'm less likely to wear neon or patterned tights. Gimme solid black or grey. But lap swimming swimsuits? Gimme all the crazy colours!! Yes to high cut, but a little longer please so they don't creep up my butt while flip turning. Just no giant back cutouts that come around to the sides, cuz they don't flatter quite the same as on a young thing.

Champion makes adjustable strap sports bras, in both racer back and tank back styles. (Walmart, Target, Kohl's...most department stores carry them). UnderArmor makes them with adjustable straps AND a zip front: but they tend to run about $60/each.

For swimsuits go to a sports wear store (Academy, Dick's), you'll have a much better chance at finding "long" sizes, I know for a fact Dick's has "long fit" Speedo one piece swimsuits.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    You can see an example of my usual choice of workout attire in my avatar and in other profile photos. BTW - I'm 50. Do I qualify as a "mature woman"?

Just barely.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    jlscherme wrote: »
    I'm tall, I'd love to have just regular Medium sized t-shirts or tanks to be longer. 99.999% of all tops hit right in the middle of my butt. To get them longer, I have to get XL or XXL, or men's...and then they're baggy all over. Hate. I want my crotch and my butt covered.

Also, another "tall" complaint: I would LOVE to find bike shorts, or just spandex shorts, that actually hit right above my knees, as they show in the PHOTO on the package. Due to long upper legs, these shorts hit several inches above my knee, so my excess lower-thigh flab bulges out at the bottom. GAWD I hate that. I've even bought Tall from Title IX spandex shorts (thinking their quality would translate into a correct tall fit), and they're still too short. I can't fold up capris, the lower hem is too tight when it reaches my lower thighs. Ugh.

In essence, if a company decides to make a "tall" version of anything, can you not think of the truly tall women instead of this faux-tall?

(jeans, too...."tall" sizes are still too short for me in most cases).

JCPenney's Xersion brand and Made For Life brand carry tall women's. At 5'11'' they are almost too long!

Thank you, looking online now!
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Skipjack66 wrote: »

Champion makes adjustable strap sports bras, in both racer back and tank back styles. (Walmart, Target, Kohl's...most department stores carry them). UnderArmor makes them with adjustable straps AND a zip front: but they tend to run about $60/each.

For swimsuits go to a sports wear store (Academy, Dick's), you'll have a much better chance at finding "long" sizes, I know for a fact Dick's has "long fit" Speedo one piece swimsuits.

Thanks! My choices are a little more limited though, as I don't live in the states with those same stores (except Walmart which doesn't carry the same bras as in the states obviously). I also need a small bra band (32), so a lot of those sports bras with adjustable straps still aren't long enough (because small doesn't equal tall). However I plan to do a search while I'm in the US in November. Gonna hit the Orlando outlet mall scene and hoping I can find something while I'm there. I do buy my swimsuits at a specialty shop, but they don't seem to carry the tall speedos. I should probably try online. The under armour sounds like my best option - if they have an outlet there. I don't see champion brand here very much. Thanks again!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I love leggings- no regrets- wear them out in public all the time.

Being said- a good jogger that is cut more generously for booty would be GREAT! I have to wear over sized joggers to get one that accommodates my booty.

Otherwise I have to reach for my harem pants- and they are just- not good for lifting.