Just started and over daily calories already

Options
Well I decided to jump on board and loose some weight, I have a friend who is going to be my work out buddy... but tonight when I log on to start calorie counting I was over

Replies

• teamregs
    teamregs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also log anything before I consume it, as well as making sure I properly weigh things out has really helped. Also Watermelon is great low calorie snack.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I always log the day before. Most of the time I don't know what lunch or dinner will be (I eat with my family), so I leave a safe amount of calories for those.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    It's a learning process and it may take practice to find your groove.

I log things before I consume them. That way, I can see how many calories will be used by the item and can change my mind about how much I want (or if I want it at all) before I consume it.

This^

It takes some practice. I log breakfast & lunch in the morning. But because I've had lots of "practice" I pretty much know what those numbers are while I'm packing my lunch & breakfast for work the night before.

Plan as much as possible. Going out to dinner? Look up the menu/nutritional info on line. Figure out what your order will be before you get there.
  • jonathanq0623
    jonathanq0623 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it. You'll get the hang of it just keep your head up!
  • Adelemlvc
    Adelemlvc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was well over my first day, that's how I realised I was such a glutton haha it gets easier. Good luck.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out now, too. There is definitely a learning curve. I have been surprised at how many calories some foods have and how little others have. I am learning what is low in calories but fills me up. I think if we are learning from our "mistakes" then that is a good thing. If we don't make changes then we can't expect change. It is so hard not to get discouraged.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a learning process! It can be a good idea to just log everything for a week without trying to make changes, so you can look at how you are currently eating and get an idea of what changes will be best for you. For example, you may be able to substitute lower calorie foods, or cut your portions, or avoid certain situations which cause you to overeat. Good luck!
  • GABRIEL1919
    GABRIEL1919 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey there.. you ain't alone ... we all in this together.. keep it going
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    That's perfectly normal. No one starts out great, it's a learning process. Congratulations on starting, by simply doing that you are already way ahead of most people.
  • TNClutchman
    TNClutchman Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there. This is one day at a time. You can make great strides. People here are great help friends. I have been on here for a while and got badly side tracked. Back to give it another go. Feel free to add me if you like. I will do my best to give you encouragement.
  • mariopichardo21
    Options
    It's all a learning process. It's so worth it once you get the hang of it.