Plantar Fascitiis

Options
This is my second bout with PF. First time around I did all the traditional "fixes"...boot, PT, massage, frozen water bottle...this time I am seeing a podiatrist and orthopedic doctor. Has anyone seen these doctors and if so what did they do for your PF?

Replies

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Custom made supports inserts for my shoes. They are absolutely worth it! Also, if you are actively losing weight you need to go back every six months or so. Good news, at 300lbs I needed then to keep the pain away just walking. Now that I am down to 180lbs, I no longer need them.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Where did you get the custom inserts? I've recently developed it and it's a *kitten*
  • topomapper
    topomapper Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Depends on where it is. The PF inserts at the metatarsal in front and the calcaneous in back. The closer to the metatarsal it is, the easier it is to heal. The farther back it is the worse it is. Most problems are right at the insertion point to the calcaneous and this responds to therapy well. if you feel it way back on the heel that is a problem because the tissue is so thick there and does not respond well to taping, and physical therapy.

01) Avoid dorsiflexion when possible, especially if the area is farther back on the heel.
    02) Tape if near insertion point or forward of that.
    03) Do all the things you have been doing.
    04) Most importantly see a DPM (preferred) or an MD. They will likely put you on a regimen of steroid shots. There is nothing wrong with this and it does work. The steroids can weaken tissue but it can be strengthened with exercise. If you don't already have them, orthotics will likely be prescribed.
    05) You may be sent to PT. They can use ultrasound to heal tissue. Again it works better at PF insertion point forward rather then farther back on the heel. They may also use a Tens device for electro stimulation for pain relief.

Watch out for any practitioner who wants to get out the knife out of the gate. If your symptoms last more than 6 months, then there other non-surgical therapies that have had good outcomes. Of course weight loss helps also.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have had plantar fasciitis, off and on, for many many years.
    I used to play soccer.
    At one point, I decided I have finally had enough. I could not continue to hobble around for days every time after I ran. I had to see a doctor and seriously consider surgery.
    So, I got on the internet and googled: PF and surgery.
    EVERYthing I read said, 'Oh yeah, the surgery often works. But you'll never really walk or run the same again.'
    Yikes! I did not want that.
    But then, in the course of these searches, I came across an scientific journal article by a Dr. DiGiovanni from Rochester, NY. In the article, he said that stretching definitely is a central part of rehab and recovery. But it doesn't work for a lot of people.
    So he devised a way to improve the stretch. Instead of having people stand on a step and let their heel drop, or prop themselves against a wall, with one leg back, and push. He had them use their hand. He had them sit, cross one ankle over the opposite quad, grab the front of the lifted foot, and pull back to feel a stretch along the bottom of the foot, with the toes bent back too!
    Bending the toes back with the stretch is key because it intensifies the stretch.
    He performed a trial. He recruited something like 100 people with intractable PF. They all had to have had their PF for at least a full year and been unable to get it better with any of the conventional stretches/methods. He had them do his stretch for something like 8 weeks, three or so times a day.
    At the end of the trial, almost 90 percent of these people said their PF was either gone or "vastly improved."
    It has worked for me too. Nothing else ever did. I do the stretch and I have Superfeet insoles in all my shoes. Insoles prevent you from aggravating the condition -- setting recovery back. PF heals slowly. You need the protection of arch-support insoles.
    Internet search: DiGiovanni and plantar fasciitis stretch. You'll find descriptions of how to do it and pictures. (I now do the stretch by getting into "hero's pose" [yoga], with my toes on the floor and the sole of my foot facing the wall behind. It is a bet easier to do because you are doing both feet at once and, I think, the stretch is even better!)
    Good luck. I was scared off of doctors and surgery by what I read.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I second the stretches while sitting or laying in bed, in fact, don't get up in the morning and don't put any weight on it unless you stretch really well, with your toes pointed up towards you. I used to have it really bad, and mine was on the heel practically, so stretch even at night when you wake up enough to turn side to side, gentle but as much as possible, throughout the day, keep the fibers lond, because that's what damages and tears them and causing so much pain, when fascia contracts and gets torn under weight or pressure from walking, running, etc. If you sit down for even a few minutes, get into a habit of stretching before you get up, pull your toes up while keeping heel on the floor. And then the rest, rolling frozen water bottle, gel shoes inserts. Good luck, it's a nasty painful condition, but it's something that can heal.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    About that stretching before you get out of bed in the morning.
    Very important, it turns out.
    The plantar fascia does not heal very well during the day because it is always getting tweaked and torqued as you walk and run. So, the tears cannot mesh and start to mend.
    At night, they do, however. At night, the bridged and the knitting of the damaged tissue does begin to occur. Only, it occurs short. Your foot has no pressure on it at night, and the bed covers over your feet make you point them down. Hence, the healing that occurs tends to occur in a shortened position. It is weak. So, you step out of bed in the morning, Much of the healing that took place over night tears again.
    It's why the night boot works. The boot holds your foot with the sole in a more elongated position. It's why, the army, which once was the world's expert on PF, because they got so many chubby, out-of-shape kids in boot camp, and put heavy packs on their backs and marched them, used to give its soldiers with PF a pair of stiff, new boots to wear in bed at night.
    Stretching before you put your foot on the floor in the morning helps prevent that reinjury from happening.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yoga fixed mine! No boot, but I always use super feet insoles in my sneakers. Also got rid of most of my flats & bought higher quality shoes for work. Flip flops kill me, so I switched to Birkenstocks for around the house & outside, too:-)
  • BigMamy
    BigMamy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have suffered twice from this and first time I went through all the usual - tennis ball, frozen bottles, special inserts etc. However, the one thing that fixed it both times was Cortisone injections into my heal. This was an almost instant fix, I kid you not. Injections one day, not sore the next - absolutely amazing. Don't waste your time with all the other fixes that don't work, ask your doctor about Cortisone injections today. You might think that the injections would be sore but for anyone who has suffered from Plantar Fasciitis, the injections are nothing compared to the original pain.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    BigMamy wrote: »
    Don't waste your time with all the other fixes that don't work, ask your doctor about Cortisone injections today.

Steroid injections don't fix the underlying cause of PF, they mask the symptoms temporarily. More on that here:
    https://runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/should-you-fear-cortisone
    :+1:
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I had PF for about a year. I tried all the things recommended with no relief. I finally went to the podiatrist where he had custom shoe inserts made for me. They helped a lot, but I still had pain. After a few weeks, he gave me the steroid shot and that took care of it. That was almost 2 years ago and still no more pain. He also told me that my PF was from my daily treadmill workouts and to stop doing them, which I did.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have custom inserts that were fitted and provided by my podiatrist.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    CarolPre wrote: »
    I had PF for about a year. I tried all the things recommended with no relief. I finally went to the podiatrist where he had custom shoe inserts made for me. They helped a lot, but I still had pain. After a few weeks, he gave me the steroid shot and that took care of it. That was almost 2 years ago and still no more pain. He also told me that my PF was from my daily treadmill workouts and to stop doing them, which I did.

My husband had to do the cortisone shots and he wished he would have done them sooner. It was the only thing that worked for him.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I did all the traditional things to try to fix mine. Nothing worked very well. When I finally got my hypothyroidism diagnosed and got on medication, it was one of the first symptoms that went away. Plantar Fasciitis is a very common symptom of hypothyroidism.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I did all the traditional things to try to fix mine. Nothing worked very well. When I finally got my hypothyroidism diagnosed and got on medication, it was one of the first symptoms that went away. Plantar Fasciitis is a very common symptom of hypothyroidism.

Ditto here. As soon as my thyroid was treated, the pain vanished.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had it in both feet for over a year. Mine was resolved with acupuncture surprisingly as physio was not helping. My Physio suspects it was tight calves that caused it and now if I even feel a twinge I do the following stretches for a few days and it goes away. While inserts are great for many people the underlying cause can also be tightness from hips to calves putting strain on your feet.

http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »
    I had it in both feet for over a year. Mine was resolved with acupuncture surprisingly as physio was not helping. My Physio suspects it was tight calves that caused it and now if I even feel a twinge I do the following stretches for a few days and it goes away. While inserts are great for many people the underlying cause can also be tightness from hips to calves putting strain on your feet.

That's why my podiatrist told me to stop using the treadmill. It was causing a strain on the leg muscles.

• GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems in the plantar of one foot (feels like a knife slicing through my heel) and the tarsals of the other foot..(feels like they are all broken.. which could be possible. I had a horse step on my foot and bend it in half over the side of a side walk when I was 16.. I never went to the doctor for it. It flairs up randomly now and can be excruciating.)

I push through the pain mostly. I don't like doctors.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    CarolPre wrote: »
    thebuz wrote: »

That's why my podiatrist told me to stop using the treadmill. It was causing a strain on the leg muscles.

So not actually addressing the source of the problem. That's disappointing.
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had severe plantar facitis and I completely got rid of it by taking a foam rolling clinic and repeatedly foam rolling it after exercise as well as diet and nutrition focus. Fascia is an important part of staying healthy and being able to maintain working out. Look into how to maintain healthy fascia and you might get some good tips.
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oh also look into making sure you are using appropriate shoes for the appropriate activities. This also helped considerably. I never found a need for finding the right shoes until I worked out consistently for a long period of time. Running shoes don't work great for much more than running so I got myself a pair of running shoes and a pair of crossfit/ heavy support on the outside for weight training shoes.