Kettlebells

Options
Does anyone use kettlebells to work out at home? My colleagues have been talking about how great they are, and I've been told by my physio that I need to do some work on my core strength. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to start with these and what weight to go for at first? (As a complete beginner!)

Replies

• ScottMermer
    ScottMermer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been using kettlebells at home for the past few years with great results. I usually burn around 500 calories, as measured by my Garmin Fenix 5, during a workout. Here's a link for a really great book to get you started.

https://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Strength-Secret-Soviet-Supermen/dp/0938045695
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I started with a 20lb kettlebell but that's because I have work a lot of physically demanding jobs over the last few years. I worked as a landscaper couple summers full time and part time, laying pathway stones, building retaining walls and what ever else you can think of. But now I work in an office and only landscape part time so I gained 24 pounds because I didn't change how I would eat when I was landscaping after I transitioned into the office.

8lb might be a good start or a 10lb depends on your fitness level, some people suggest women start with 18lbs

there are lots of moves that you can do with 2 hands that help with core and if you go too light could end up just throwing it around with out proper form.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use KBs at the gym where i have a wide assortment of weights to choose from. Its challenging to get the most benefit of a KB workout when you have just one KB. There are lots of options to do at home besides KB, look into body-weight programs, or TRX. I love my TRX at home and use it almost every day and its my favorite thing to use for core exercises.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i use KBs at the gym where i have a wide assortment of weights to choose from. Its challenging to get the most benefit of a KB workout when you have just one KB. There are lots of options to do at home besides KB, look into body-weight programs, or TRX. I love my TRX at home and use it almost every day and its my favorite thing to use for core exercises.

Not really, an appropriate sized Kettlebell will last at least 6 months. A matched pair will last much longer.

Second the recommendation for Pavel's book/books. Note: There's a certain amount of Shtick involved in his writing. some people don't like it.

Sara Lurie's DVD is a bit more accessible.

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I got the DVD, "Iron Core Kettlebell" when I ordered my kettlebells from Amazon. I like my 15lb ones and the DVD makes you sweat.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just got a set of three kettlebells from Walmart on sale (online). I started using them at the gym and wanted some at home for the days where I just won't get there. I really enjoy using them and it's a good intensive workout and I don't spend nearly as long in the gym!

Thanks to everyone who posted above about books and DVDs. Also there are some other great threads in this section that talk about kettlebells - just do a search.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice! I have ordered an 8kg one as I think you're right, the smaller weights might not do much and it seemed like a good mid-point to start! Will look into the DVDs/books. Are there any good video workouts on youtube?
  • SonyaCele
    edited August 2017
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Not really, an appropriate sized Kettlebell will last at least 6 months. A matched pair will last much longer.

Second the recommendation for Pavel's book/books. Note: There's a certain amount of Shtick involved in his writing. some people don't like it.

Sara Lurie's DVD is a bit more accessible.

you mean like using the same weight KB for lateral raises that you'd use for KB swings for 6 months , and no means of progression ? eh, i dunno about that. I'm not saying you can't get a workout with 1 KB. I suggested you aren't gonna get the most beneficial workout you would otherwise. There are a lots of at home options besides a workout with a solitary KB that the op should checkout.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for the advice! I have ordered an 8kg one as I think you're right, the smaller weights might not do much and it seemed like a good mid-point to start! Will look into the DVDs/books. Are there any good video workouts on youtube?

think about also getting a set of resistance bands, they aren't too expensive and they are great to use in conjunction with KBs for additional resistance on some exercises.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm going to third the recommendation of Sara Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell. It is relatively inexpensive on Amazon and her instruction is really good. I think 8k is a really good place to start. Be mindful that you will probably want something heavier after about 4-6 weeks. Maybe even sooner. You may want to look into getting that 12K sooner rather than later.

YouTube can be super dicey when it comes to KB videos. I've seen a lot of poor instruction on YouTube and I've seen people suggest things that will get you hurt. The better content I've seen is aimed a people who have been using Kettlebells for a while.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've never used a KB before. I would encourage you to go to a KB class or at least a few personal training sessions. Form is very important. We have no way to know where you should start, it could be 5 lb, it could be 30 or even more. I use a much heavier KB for squats and swings than I can possibly handle on my upper body. Also, most KB exercises can be done with dumbbells.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I do two arm and one arm swings followed by a few rounds of gladiator complexes. I'm glad I had a trainer show me how. On my own I was using too much arm and not enough lower abs/hips. Eventually I would have blown my shoulder if I hadn't fixed my form. I agree with the comment that you should have someone show you how to use them properly before starting

I started with 10s and 15s and now use 25s for everything. I'll be upping my 2 arm swing weight this week to 35.
  • spyro88
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am seeing a personal trainer in the gym next week so will ask them to show me. Certainly don't want to do any damage! I will look at the DVD and resistance bands too :)
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I do Kettlercise, kettle bell DVD workouts at home. Had a local instructor at gym for a while but gym changed classes. They are really good.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My wife and I do training together in our garage, including kettlebells. We have most of the weights under 53 lbs doubled and singles up to 80 lbs. However, the kettlebell I fear the most is the little 5 lb guy because my wife has me hook it on my foot and do burnout ab rounds.

I consider kettlebell training to be a very good use of your time. But be a stickler on form because the safety issues in kettlebell correlate closely with poor form.
  • spyro88
    Options
    My wife and I do training together in our garage, including kettlebells. We have most of the weights under 53 lbs doubled and singles up to 80 lbs. However, the kettlebell I fear the most is the little 5 lb guy because my wife has me hook it on my foot and do burnout ab rounds.

I consider kettlebell training to be a very good use of your time. But be a stickler on form because the safety issues in kettlebell correlate closely with poor form.

Amazing! Thank you for the safety tip - I will definitely get some advice! :)

• resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    KBs are great. Mix up your routine with some dynamic callisthenics and you'll collapse in a heap afterwards. And use an interval timer I do 30 secs to 1 min workout and 30 sec rest. Go for a short sharp run, 20 mins or so of fartlek ( think that's how you spell it?!) then 2 sets of 15 different exercises, KB and callisthenics- you'll be breathing out your *kitten*! Pinterest app has loads of KB routines. But always always squeeze your tummy and *kitten* in when doing KB. it protects and improves your core at the same time.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I got a 30, 50, 70lb and I love them!
    I'd recommend a lighter pair if you can only get one. 15-30ish? I know Walmart sells some lighter ones.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I started doing kettlebell workouts by following Bodyfit by Amy on youtube.

This is a good starter workout but she has plenty of others

https://youtube.com/watch?v=076353c2Hik

I also do Kettlercise workouts which are a bit tougher (and not so much fun)
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    A pair of adjustable dumbbells are far more useful and practical.

s1poxlssj5lh.jpg