Atkins Support Group

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Lite salt? What is lite salt?
    Salt substitute is made with potassium instead of sodium, but I never knew there was a combo.
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    I am almost a week into induction. I am pretty sure that I am in ketosis as I am exhibiting nearly all of the symptoms that I have read about (but I don't have the strips). My appetite is pretty under control, but I feel fatigued. Very fatigued. I got eight hours of sleep last night, but I still feel like I need to take a nap right now. Any suggestions

It might mean you need to salt your food! Sodium depletion is a side effect of induction because your body is using ketosis as a diuretic! As your excess water weight is released so is your chemistry altered. I use lite salt because is has sodium with potasium. You will feel better if you mix a tsp into some warm water and glug it down! Or you can just make some bullion cube broth and drink that.
    I didn't know lite salt had potassium in it!! I should get some... I've been really worried about my potassium levels- I'm not even getting half of what I should be according to MFP and I have a history of arryhthmias that I don't want to aggravate. I was thinking of a supplement, but salt with it already in there sounds good as well.

Be careful with some brands of Lite salt. Dextrose is added as an ingredient. Morton lite salt claims that the amount they add in their Lite Salt is so small it won't cause harm, but i've read about quite a few people the low carb forums that say it does effect them. Just be careful. :)
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    may i join i start induction tomorrow and need lots of advise thanks
  • Dee830pgh
    Dee830pgh Posts: 1
    Thanks so much for starting this topic! I am new to MFP, and three days into the Induction Phase. I feel that I finally have found the right plan for me. I've read all your posts, and appreciate all the ideas, advice and encouragement you've all expressed.

I look forward to being part of a great group - as the Beatles said - "I get by with a little help from my friends".
  • deathcab87
    deathcab87 Posts: 10 Member
    I just started induction and I'm so relieved to have found this thread, thanks so much for starting it!

I'll definitely be checking and posting here regularly :)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :)

Z
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    I am almost a week into induction. I am pretty sure that I am in ketosis as I am exhibiting nearly all of the symptoms that I have read about (but I don't have the strips). My appetite is pretty under control, but I feel fatigued. Very fatigued. I got eight hours of sleep last night, but I still feel like I need to take a nap right now. Any suggestions

It might mean you need to salt your food! Sodium depletion is a side effect of induction because your body is using ketosis as a diuretic! As your excess water weight is released so is your chemistry altered. I use lite salt because is has sodium with potasium. You will feel better if you mix a tsp into some warm water and glug it down! Or you can just make some bullion cube broth and drink that.

I have looked at my sodium and potassium for the past 7 days. My sodium is close to what MFP recommends (2,500) usually between 250-500 mg short. My potassium on the other hand is about half of what MFP recommends. Do I need to consume even more sodium than what MFP recommends during ketosis? Is it possible that the low potassium is causing the fatigue? If so, what do I do about it? Should I take a supplement? Where do I get lite salt.? I know I have a lot of questions thanks for all of your help?
  • parshath
    parshath Posts: 6
    Hey all- just wanted to tell ya about my splenda experience. I lost 8 pounds in induction and stayed there for a week. Some folks on the Atkins Bulletin Board suspected it could be due to artificial sweetner. I enjoyed: sugarless gum, sugarless Jello, Mio beverage enhancer...I think that's it. Well I cut out the Jello and Mio and the gum to 3 slices a day and in 2 days I've lost 2 pounds!! I was told that even at zero carbs, some bodies treat Splenda and the like as sugar, anyway, that's why you limit it to 3 svgs. Lucky me that my body is so on the job. Boooo! I really like the Mio sweet tea, but I guess plain water is good, too.

You might try a different artificial sweetener and see if that works better for you. Truvia is supposed to be pretty good and better for you than Splenda. Not sure how many pre-packaged items are out there for sale that use it, but you can buy some packets and add it, plus lemon or lime juice to your water for a low cal drink.

Recent research (cited from a magazine that I cannot remember) suggests that small amounts of the insulin hormone is released from a sweet taste in anticipation of sweet food or drink, regardless of sweetener. Various tests suggest that aspartame does affect insulin levels in a similar way sugar does, while splenda, stevia, and possibly other sweeteners may not have such a profound effects. My understanding of insulin is to remove sugar and excess nutrients from the bloodstream, and store them inside muscles and fat cells. If there is little insulin, then there will be less fat being stored, also little insulin may work very well with amino acids in opening muscle tissue and increasing lean muscle mass.

Of course do what you find works best, this is just some info I ran into that might help us over a hurdle if someone else finds these issues.
  • parshath
    parshath Posts: 6
    I'm sold on the low carb idea, it makes sense to me at least. I have failed Atkins induction more times than I can remember, and have found the Primal/Paleo diet advertised on marksdailyapple.com to be easier to follow, with similar perks to Atkins. Atkins advocates tell me you will lose weight slower on a Primal diet, but I find it significantly more sustainable and am losing weight at a remarkable rate, in comparison to MFP's guided recommendations anyways.
  • kittrelle
    kittrelle Posts: 67
    I'm sold on the low carb idea, it makes sense to me at least. I have failed Atkins induction more times than I can remember, and have found the Primal/Paleo diet advertised on marksdailyapple.com to be easier to follow, with similar perks to Atkins. Atkins advocates tell me you will lose weight slower on a Primal diet, but I find it significantly more sustainable and am losing weight at a remarkable rate, in comparison to MFP's guided recommendations anyways.
    Good for you! I debated the Paleo/Atkins routes with myself, but really the shunning and/or limiting of eggs and dairy scared me away. I LOVE the fact that you can have so many veggies and fruits, though!! I need to lose a lot of weight, though, so I went with Atkins for quick results, and more control which my carb cravin self needs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member

It's really all about finding what works best for each of us. Nothing wrong with losing weight a little more slowly if you find it a better option for you. Good luck!
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    I have to start induction again :( I went 3 days with absolutely no troubles and had entered ketosis but then on Saturday night I was at an engagement party where I hardly knew anyone and everyone was drinking so I got really drunk to get rid of the awkwardness (silly, i know). I haven't had alcohol all year so it was definitely a one off. Then Sunday morning I was still at my friends house and they made breakfast and I stuffed up again there too because I was still a bit drunk, then today I ate rice and butter chicken cos I felt like a failure! I can feel I have gained weight but hopefully it comes off just as fast once I get back into it. Atkins seems like the best thing for me to lose weight! I just have to learn how to deal with saying 'no' in social situations.
  • dittiepe
    I have to start induction again :( I went 3 days with absolutely no troubles and had entered ketosis but then on Saturday night I was at an engagement party where I hardly knew anyone and everyone was drinking so I got really drunk to get rid of the awkwardness (silly, i know). I haven't had alcohol all year so it was definitely a one off. Then Sunday morning I was still at my friends house and they made breakfast and I stuffed up again there too because I was still a bit drunk, then today I ate rice and butter chicken cos I felt like a failure! I can feel I have gained weight but hopefully it comes off just as fast once I get back into it. Atkins seems like the best thing for me to lose weight! I just have to learn how to deal with saying 'no' in social situations.

You might be retaining due to the alcohol and possibly a load of sodium. Just jump back onto induction and forget about the weekend. It's a learning process, and thankfully Atkins is forgiving :)
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466

Don't feel bad. I carbed up on pancakes and waffles yesterday morning, and had pizza with cheesy bread for late lunch/dinner. If you work out, you'll have your glycogen stores filled up and ready to go. If not, don't worry too much about it. You (We) probably gained some weight, but a lot of it is just water.

Thankfully our bodies aren't so sensitive to just a couple days of eating. Just because you're on low carb, doesn't mean you can't live your life and indulge every once in awhile. Just got to make sure to get back on track.
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    I have to start induction again :( I went 3 days with absolutely no troubles and had entered ketosis but then on Saturday night I was at an engagement party where I hardly knew anyone and everyone was drinking so I got really drunk to get rid of the awkwardness (silly, i know).

I've read that using IF (intermittent fasting) can work as a substitute for induction.
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    Thanks for the support :) You're all very helpful! I'll just get back into it tomorrow morning.
    @pork_belly - I've tried intermittent fasting, it's not for me unfortunately. Triggers binges. :( Even today i thought to myself "I'll fast today and It'll make up for the weekend..." i only lasted a few hours and then I was eating leftovers which I wouldn't have touched if I had just gone back into induction and eaten protein/fat.
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    I restarted induction today after going on holiday and eating off plan. The good thing is I don't really crave carbs anymore unless I let myself get ravenously hungry so I'm feeling quite optimistic.
  • TAMMY_76
    hi guys i got a quick question..can you use metamucil to up your fiber on atkins..i got the sugar free kind
  • dittiepe
    hi guys i got a quick question..can you use metamucil to up your fiber on atkins..i got the sugar free kind

Yes you can :)
  • TAMMY_76

Yes you can :)
    thank you so much :flowerforyou:
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Good for you! I debated the Paleo/Atkins routes with myself, but really the shunning and/or limiting of eggs and dairy scared me away. I LOVE the fact that you can have so many veggies and fruits, though!! I need to lose a lot of weight, though, so I went with Atkins for quick results, and more control which my carb cravin self needs.

I am debating the no dairy part of Paleo/primal. I love cheeses and cream in my coffee. I probably would lose faster if I could let go of those, but for now I am happy with my dairy....