Walking

Options
For the past three weeks I have been walking over 10k steps per day. I rarely eat over 1800 calories, usually I end the day at around 1400. I try and keep control of my macros and keep my protein up using whey powder and bars and have cut out things like bread and unhealthy snacks. I am currently at 330lbs and have lost some during the past 3 weeks. I still find achieving 10k/5 miles per day very challenging but I haven't missed a day. I try and maintain a good pace and always end my walks tired out and sweating. I worry that I'm not doing enough though. Could anyone advise wether I should perhaps include gym sessions or try and up my daily steps? I'm having a slight crisis of confidence about not being as effective as I possibly can be.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    losing weight is all about your calorie deficit.

for fitness, walking is a great starting point especially given your size. by all means join a gym if that's what you want to do long term.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing for now, then reassess how you feel in a month's time.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    what fish said
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    yep, I agree, keep it going for 90 days, you are at the three week mark, KEEP GOING!!! takes 90 days to really see a change that is why every thing you see on TV is for "90 days" takes three months to really see a change with Exercise and a Diet, but keep going!
  • takesonetoknowone
    takesonetoknowone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yep, I intend to keep going, I think I was just worrying myself needlessly. It's hard sometimes and can get somewhat repetitive and boring. But I make allowances in my weekly meal plan for the things I love but shouldn't necessarily have too often and that keeps me focused.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing is a challenge for you then keep doing it. When it is no longer a challenge then it is time to do more.

This. 100%
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. The thing is to keep challenging yourself while also pacing yourself appropriately. Just keep adding a little bit at a time and you will keep making progress. That outlook got me from 301 to 155.
  • jehramsey
    jehramsey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I originally started my weight loss journey a little over 2 years ago I walked and done a low fat diet. I walked an average of 5 miles a day. The first year I lost 80lbs. For starting out you are doing great! Keep up the good work!
  • lolliopopsnrainbows
    Options
    You are doing incredibly well and as @TimothyFish said - if you're finishing your walks hot, sweaty and out of breath then it is sufficient for you. Once it is no longer a challenge then I would suggest you add some more things to make it challenging again (intervals of power walking perhaps). Also, I get bored if I'm constantly doing the same exercise all the time so I tend to switch between walking, cycling and swimming so you could consider something similar maybe?

Whatever you decide to do - you have made a fab start and though most of the weight loss will be from counting your calories, you'll also be getting lots of health benefits from exercising too!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Just tossing in here, I lost a bunch of weight through walking alone. You may want to add in strength training or yoga or something later on, but walking is great exercise. As others have said, when it stops being challenging, it's time to add more, but I would add that if you get bored it's time too!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    Just tossing in here, I lost a bunch of weight through walking alone. You may want to add in strength training or yoga or something later on, but walking is great exercise. As others have said, when it stops being challenging, it's time to add more, but I would add that if you get bored it's time too!

This. I tried walking regularly but got so bored I couldn't stand it. The boredom is what made me take up running instead.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I love walking! I've lost 43 lbs strictly just walking.