Workout attire for the mature woman

Options

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    mgalvin12 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the feedback. How do you all feel about wearing skin tight pants in public? I think I look good, but I see other women and I can't help think that it looks like they forgot their skirt! Any thoughts?

I love leggings- no regrets- wear them out in public all the time.

Being said- a good jogger that is cut more generously for booty would be GREAT! I have to wear over sized joggers to get one that accommodates my booty.

Otherwise I have to reach for my harem pants- and they are just- not good for lifting.

LMAO harem pants that is exactly what that feels like! haha
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. How do you all feel about wearing skin tight pants in public? I think I look good, but I see other women and I can't help think that it looks like they forgot their skirt! Any thoughts?

Being said- a good jogger that is cut more generously for booty would be GREAT! I have to wear over sized joggers to get one that accommodates my booty.

Otherwise I have to reach for my harem pants- and they are just- not good for lifting.

LMAO harem pants that is exactly what that feels like! haha

I mean- I'm a bellydancer... I love my harem pants- but not for lifting. Like- something a little more functional LMAO
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    1. Pockets with zippers!!!! Real pockets too!

7. Sleeveless shirts, some of us have smaller chests and regular tanks can hang VERY low in front. Or larger chests and then the tank top screams BOOBS!

Most definitely this.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

Discount Dance supply (they are online). Ballet dancers (dancers in general) tend to have tiny waists and muscular legs. Their joggers/warm-ups are cut for them, they are also made slightly more generous in the butt area to allow for easier movement in deep plus aka squats.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Did want to mention, when looking for shirts, don't forget the men's dept. I wandered into K-Mart amd was checking out their workout shirts. Nothing really. Then I wandered further back and found some sleeveless men's tech shirts for $4 each. Bought one to try out and really like it. I went by there this morning and bought 2 more. They might not work for busty women, but I'm not one. The arm holes are a bit larger might be the only downside.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Skipjack66 wrote: »
    Really what I want is a good workout bra. I'm 6' tall and I haven't been able to find a bra for YEARS. Because my torso is so long, it means my bust line is MUCH lower than a shorter woman. So all those "throw over your head" bras don't work for me because they end at the middle of my boobs. And because I am a swimmer I have really large shoulders, so if I actually manage to get one of those things over my head, then I'll never get it off without dislocating my shoulders. Currently I'm wearing ten year old bras. They are pretty sad looking things.

And if we are on the tall thing, longer everything. Longer sleeves, longer tops, longer pants, longer tights, longer shoes, longer shorts. A longer bike shirt would be nice too, which would mean the pocket starts at my low back instead of at my bra line. I'm "mature" at 51, but what I really want is stuff that fits my frame. But if you want specifically mature fashion - I'm less likely to wear neon or patterned tights. Gimme solid black or grey. But lap swimming swimsuits? Gimme all the crazy colours!! Yes to high cut, but a little longer please so they don't creep up my butt while flip turning. Just no giant back cutouts that come around to the sides, cuz they don't flatter quite the same as on a young thing.

I agree with all the tall things, mostly for tops, I don't wear long pants for working out very often, so that doesn't usually cause problems. Shirts are almost always too short. I have a large bust, so tank tops that are a little higher cut so the sisters don't try and peek out would be nice
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    1. Pockets with zippers!!!! Real pockets too!
    2. Workout pants that are cuffed at the ankles (hard to find)
    3. Longer tank tops
    4. Sports bras with zippers, removing them after a workout shouldn't be a workout
    5. Shorts that run mid thigh: 99% are either booty shorts or come to the knees.
    6. Drawstrings!!!! Seriously, losing fat is great, then your workout gear falls off.
    7. Sleeveless shirts, some of us have smaller chests and regular tanks can hang VERY low in front. Or larger chests and then the tank top screams BOOBS!

Shock Absorber for zip-up front-fastening sports bras. If you don't have a local stockist, look online.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Skipjack66 wrote: »
    Really what I want is a good workout bra. I'm 6' tall and I haven't been able to find a bra for YEARS. Because my torso is so long, it means my bust line is MUCH lower than a shorter woman. So all those "throw over your head" bras don't work for me because they end at the middle of my boobs. And because I am a swimmer I have really large shoulders, so if I actually manage to get one of those things over my head, then I'll never get it off without dislocating my shoulders. Currently I'm wearing ten year old bras. They are pretty sad looking things.

And if we are on the tall thing, longer everything. Longer sleeves, longer tops, longer pants, longer tights, longer shoes, longer shorts. A longer bike shirt would be nice too, which would mean the pocket starts at my low back instead of at my bra line. I'm "mature" at 51, but what I really want is stuff that fits my frame. But if you want specifically mature fashion - I'm less likely to wear neon or patterned tights. Gimme solid black or grey. But lap swimming swimsuits? Gimme all the crazy colours!! Yes to high cut, but a little longer please so they don't creep up my butt while flip turning. Just no giant back cutouts that come around to the sides, cuz they don't flatter quite the same as on a young thing.

I agree with all the tall things, mostly for tops, I don't wear long pants for working out very often, so that doesn't usually cause problems. Shirts are almost always too short. I have a large bust, so tank tops that are a little higher cut so the sisters don't try and peek out would be nice

I have the exact opposite problem, small chested. So looser fitting tanks tend to hang down to nearly my second set of eyes. Sleeveless T's cut for women would help both of us out!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    cenafan wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    CTcutie wrote: »
    Make tank tops NOT cling to mah belly!!

Same.

I'd like a pair of shorts that aren't corny and long to the knees, but that my *kitten* also does not eat. For now I pretty much can't wear them.

Watch for lululemon clamdiggers. It's an older style but they may bring them back. Luon with a ribbed waistband and fit to the knee. One of my fav styles.

Who's the genius that came up with that name?
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There is not a decent runner's windbreaker out there that isn't pink. I want a windbreaker that covers my butt.

There's nothing more miserable than to come in from a cold run, sweating, with a frozen butt.

And while you are at it, add reflective tape.

I got one at Target last year!!! Butt covering is a must for me! It was purple, not pink. Maybe they have them this year?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I get that I'm a niche consumer, but I'm going to take this opportunity to vent.

I'm the rare post-bilateral-mastectomy woman who didn't have reconstruction, doesn't usually wear prostheses (especially not to work out!), and is very active. On my left side, I also had lymph nodes removed, so there's a small ditch or divot from my underarm out onto my chest wall.

Tank tops? I wish, especially when rowing in 90 degree F weather! They're cut way too low in neck and arms. Men's sleeveless ones in smaller sizes (so kind of tight) used to sort of work when I was fat, but now that I'm a small or even extra-small in women's tanks, men's small is way too big in the arms and body, and boys' sizes seem to be the giant armhole singlet style.

(BTW, women's tanks come slightly closer to modesty if I wear them backwards, as both arms & neck have more generous fabric on that side. I don't know whether this is a viable strategy for the small-breasted. Won't work with any normal bra, for sure.)

Also, you discover that there's a function breasts somehow have of keeping things from creeping up as well as keeping them from slipping down (under stress from different types of movements). Following convention, I still like to cover my chest area, but even flat bra tops ride up or down (think about how you see this on 6-year old girls - same in 60+ year old ones).

To my relief, some one-piece swimsuits still work without breasts or prostheses (requires extensive shopping).

Thanks for letting me complain. I now return you to regular-people workout clothing problems. ;)

I don't have your specific issues, but I also don't like low armpits on tanks. My armpits have loose skin after weight loss and sports bras push the skin into wrinkles, which do not look good in tanks.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Regarding pockets on gym attire ...

I will, sometimes, wear one of my sleeveless cycling jerseys to the gym. Cycling jerseys are designed with pockets.

I know at least 1 person who competes in orienteering in cycling jerseys - pockets rule!
  • ritzvin
    Options
    I normally wear 7" spandex-type smooth shorts for running, gym, or under a skirt/dress in daily wear. (normally with panties when running because seams).
    http://a.co/7YF83tR I'm fond of the Under Armour ones too, but they are more expensive.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this in the shower this morning. I would like a workout skirt; kind of like a tennis skirt but made out of the soft thinner wicking material. So I could have my shorts but a little more material to cover my lady bits for a little more modesty than my workout shorts. Long shirts to cover that area drive me crazy. I like my tops to be more fitted and a little cropped since I sweat around my waist/hip line a lot.

One of the things I'm thinking of rewarding myself once I have a waist that's smaller than my hips is a dress for running in - fitted to the hip with a skirt just long enough to cover my shorts. And functional pockets either in the dress or the shorts for my phone, keys and a snack. Also in a colour that I actually like rather than whatever is in fashion this year! I sew so I can pretty much have what I want, so long as I don't want to change physics...
  • ritzvin
    Options
    I was thinking about this in the shower this morning. I would like a workout skirt; kind of like a tennis skirt but made out of the soft thinner wicking material. So I could have my shorts but a little more material to cover my lady bits for a little more modesty than my workout shorts. Long shirts to cover that area drive me crazy. I like my tops to be more fitted and a little cropped since I sweat around my waist/hip line a lot.

One of the things I'm thinking of rewarding myself once I have a waist that's smaller than my hips is a dress for running in - fitted to the hip with a skirt just long enough to cover my shorts. And functional pockets either in the dress or the shorts for my phone, keys and a snack. Also in a colour that I actually like rather than whatever is in fashion this year! I sew so I can pretty much have what I want, so long as I don't want to change physics...

Columbia makes some decent running dresses. They also make some running skirts - I like a longer inseam than found in theirs though. A few companies make running skirts with longer inseams, but they are pricier than the shorter ones. If you don't mind <5", Colorado skirts aren't expensive. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&amp;field-keywords=colorado+skort&amp;rh=i:aps,k:colorado+skort
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'd like longer tops, in an A-line style. You know, slimmer at the waist, a tiny bit of flare around hips & butt. Sleeveless, short-sleeve, and long-sleeve styles. Ditto the previously mentioned desire for real POCKETS. I am amazed at the number of designers of women's clothing who fail to put pockets in any kind of pant. I won't buy them!

I hate spending a lot on workout clothes than I need to, so I shop at TJ Maxx, Walmart, K-Mart & Target. I've found that Hanes long-sleeved tees and Danskin short-sleeved tees (from Walmart) work well for me. Also, Sears & K-Mart carry the Everlast brand, which I like for tight-fitting mid-calf & long pants for the gym and "yoga" style looser pants for yoga.

Everlast also make the very first sports bra that I LOVE. It really holds the girls firmly in place, and the pads are just enough to disguise the nips. So comfortable I could wear it all day. It doesn't have the criss-cross straps which I find painful on my shoulders & back. They're adjustable and wide enough not to cut into my shoulders. I wish I'd bought 2 or 3 of them instead of just the one. BTW - I don't try to struggle with pulling my bra on & off over my head - I step in and out instead! Of course, I've got fairly slim hips, a pretty flat butt & fairly big boobs so it works for me. It obviously wouldn't work for other body types.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Columbia makes some decent running dresses. They also make some running skirts - I like a longer inseam than found in theirs though. A few companies make running skirts with longer inseams, but they are pricier than the shorter ones. If you don't mind <5", Colorado skirts aren't expensive. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&amp;field-keywords=colorado+skort&amp;rh=i:aps,k:colorado+skort

Thanks, that's interesting to know. I might nosey around for ideas :) I do have a very clear picture in my head of what I want though - that's the danger of sewing, you can get really specific about stuff and actually get to wear it!
  • ritzvin
    edited September 2017
    Options

Thanks, that's interesting to know. I might nosey around for ideas :) I do have a very clear picture in my head of what I want though - that's the danger of sewing, you can get really specific about stuff and actually get to wear it!

I'm actually wearing a Columbia running dress in my current profile photo. (I only have the 1 style of dress in racerback.. discontinued model).

ETA: that model had pockets too.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options

I had a couple of running skirts back when I used to run. They were in style at the time and easy to find everywhere. I loved them. They were so comfortable and I loved that they covered my "lady bits" as you say. My favorite one that I wore for most of my races was from One More Mile. I don't know if they still make them (or are even still in business).