1200 calories a day

Options
12346»

Replies

• FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    5'3'' and currently 189lbs, with 54lbs to lose. I'm doing 1200 calories for a while and I feel fine. I eat at least 300-500g of vegetables daily, and my protein intake is high. I've cut down considerably on the carbs (but over 8 months' time) and my energy levels feel elevated. Some nights I am unable to finish my dinners as I feel stuffed, so I make sure to eat vegetables, protein and starch, in that order.

I am incredibly sedentary as I am studying for finals and living in a dangerous place that do not allow for roaming around (lions, hyenas, etc). Fortunately I am moving within two weeks, and would gradually up my exercise level. Whilst doing so I will also up my calorie intake, as needed. I do not want to maintain a 1200 calorie intake for the rest of my life because it feels very restrictive and would be a problem socially, so over time with added exercise and knowledge I will increase it.

As for now I am coping very comfortably with 1200, and I think my body needed the shock to get my metabolism going. I haven't been losing at all for three months when I was eating around 1500.

I am weighing and tracking every bite that I eat, so I am not actually eating more than 1200.
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    5'3'' and currently 189lbs, with 54lbs to lose. I'm doing 1200 calories for a while and I feel fine. I eat at least 300-500g of vegetables daily, and my protein intake is high. I've cut down considerably on the carbs (but over 8 months' time) and my energy levels feel elevated. Some nights I am unable to finish my dinners as I feel stuffed, so I make sure to eat vegetables, protein and starch, in that order.

I am incredibly sedentary as I am studying for finals and living in a dangerous place that do not allow for roaming around (lions, hyenas, etc). Fortunately I am moving within two weeks, and would gradually up my exercise level. Whilst doing so I will also up my calorie intake, as needed. I do not want to maintain a 1200 calorie intake for the rest of my life because it feels very restrictive and would be a problem socially, so over time with added exercise and knowledge I will increase it.

As for now I am coping very comfortably with 1200, and I think my body needed the shock to get my metabolism going. I haven't been losing at all for three months when I was eating around 1500.

I am weighing and tracking every bite that I eat, so I am not actually eating more than 1200.

Lions and hyenas are the best excuse for not jogging I've ever heard! I just live in a neighborhood with gang activity, now I feel really whiny for complaining! Best of luck with your finals, and your weight loss.

Ah, South African problems lol. (Nah just kidding, I live on a game reserve so it doesn't apply to the country as a whole). Having the carnivores around can actually be quite good motivators for runners - IF you can run faster than them :wink:

Gang activity sounds horrid, though. All the best to you too! I'm going to forward and send you a friend request
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    In the beginning of this journey for me (over a year ago) i started on 1200 calories and have lost over 75 pounds slowly. What I am now learning as I read and research, I probably have set myself up for a certain amount of struggle with my metabolism losing the weight on such low calories. I have been heavy lifting for 6 months now and have upped my calories to 1500 a day on non liftt days and more on those days. My weight loss has stalled but I am being patient, giving my body time to readjust to this. Learning how to fuel our bodies as opposed to feeding the beast....is a long road that cannot be cut short. good luck. BTW, I am 52 years old with a desk job. I had 100 pounds to lose so I am within 30 pounds of my goal.
  • MimiLaza
    MimiLaza Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yup I'm doing it, I'm eating every couple of hours. Fruit, yogurt, string cheese, nuts, whole wheat toast. I'm not starving. I hope I can stick to it after I reach my goal weight but we will see :|
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    MimiLaza wrote: »
    Yup I'm doing it, I'm eating every couple of hours. Fruit, yogurt, string cheese, nuts, whole wheat toast. I'm not starving. I hope I can stick to it after I reach my goal weight but we will see :|

Be careful, if you stick to it after you reach your goal weight you will most likely continue losing.
  • MimiLaza
    Options

Be careful, if you stick to it after you reach your goal weight you will most likely continue losing.

I don't plan on being as strict, I need to learn how to choose the right food and not just what taste great, like pizza and fries LOL
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I don't plan on being as strict, I need to learn how to choose the right food and not just what taste great, like pizza and fries LOL

If pizza and fries are wrong, I don't want to be right.... perhaps you could learn how to incorporate those foods in moderation in the context of calorie appropriate, overall balanced diet.
  • MimiLaza
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

If pizza and fries are wrong, I don't want to be right.... perhaps you could learn how to incorporate those foods in moderation in the context of calorie appropriate, overall balanced diet.

Yes that is what I am learning how to do. :D
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Gibby349 wrote: »
    Is there anyone who is losing weight who are surviving off of 1200 calories a day and when I say surviving I mean feeling full and satisfied .Also are you dropping two pounds a week from doing this ?

I have maintained 18 lb weight loss for past year or so with walking and goal of 1200 cals. I average about 1500 to 1800 cals actual intake which is still low for my body type. 1200 is always the goal.

I shop with meals in mind and do eat favorite foods. I'm not a regular snacker, mostly meals ..I try for 3 a day.

Portion control
    Label Reading
    My fitness pal
    Stop when I reach those daily targets
    Enjoy food
    Enjoy exercise just as much
    Water goal is a challenge but I keep water all around and it's my beverage of choice when dining out.
    Do not weigh every day
    Try again each day to eat better than the day before
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

I love pizza and fries.. together...alone etc...but I have to decide if I want pizza or a soda? Can't have both or I eat veggie pizza or one less slice of pizza than usual. I delay food intake and try to see how it fits in my daily eating plan