1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I do about 1300 and I'm losing a pound a week. I feel very full and satisfied but I eat tons of vegetables !! My diary is open if you want to look. I'm 5"8, 133 pounds for reference so if you're a bit bigger you could eat more and still lose. I wouldn't focus on trying to do it super fast. A pound a week is fine no matter what weight you're at! Just move in the right direction. Even if 1500-1700 (maybe even higher depending on activity and weight) is totally fine if it's more sustainable
  • kapendell
    kapendell Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
  • kapendell
    Options
    Yes I do use a food scale every single time. I also measure using measuring cups and spoons depending on the food item. I am still feeling good and have a lot more energy than I used to eating all junk foods.
  • Ariliz23
    Ariliz23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm shooting for 1200/day. Over the last year, I've actually gained 3 lbs! : ( My issue is that I was actually eating WAY more - particularly fats - because I wasn't measuring. I started measuring and I'm like, "THAT'S a tablespoon???" Wake up call. So, I'm working on it.

Here's my snag. I hate meat. I'm working on eating fish and my dr has me drinking a protein shake each day. But it's fruit, soy milk and protein powder coming to - 300 calories. It does not fill me up so I have an ounce of almonds. This takes me up to 463. At breakfast. And while a piece of ezekiel bread with peanut butter and some fruit fills me up until lunch, the protein powder doesn't.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? I have been reading that it's less about calories and more about WHAT you're eating. If you eat 1,500 calories of veggies, meat and fats it impacts weight loss positively. If you've got refined carbs in there but you're eating 1,200/day you can gain. I don't know if this is a thing, but I'm asking.
  • kapendell
    Options
    Ariliz23 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm shooting for 1200/day. Over the last year, I've actually gained 3 lbs! : ( My issue is that I was actually eating WAY more - particularly fats - because I wasn't measuring. I started measuring and I'm like, "THAT'S a tablespoon???" Wake up call. So, I'm working on it.

Here's my snag. I hate meat. I'm working on eating fish and my dr has me drinking a protein shake each day. But it's fruit, soy milk and protein powder coming to - 300 calories. It does not fill me up so I have an ounce of almonds. This takes me up to 463. At breakfast. And while a piece of ezekiel bread with peanut butter and some fruit fills me up until lunch, the protein powder doesn't.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? I have been reading that it's less about calories and more about WHAT you're eating. If you eat 1,500 calories of veggies, meat and fats it impacts weight loss positively. If you've got refined carbs in there but you're eating 1,200/day you can gain. I don't know if this is a thing, but I'm asking.

I've heard the same thing about the type of calories making a difference but then I hear it's only about caloric deficit. So I don't know. I just eat as clean as I can and stay around 1,200.

About that shake. Would you maybe be willing to change the fruit out for vegetables? Not sure what fruit you're using or the calories but if you used kale or spinach leaves I think that's a very minimal amount of calories for 2 cups worth.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i'm only 5'2" so that's part of the reason I'm 1200-1400 calories per day. I used to always be hungry trying to eat this little...until keto. fat is the key to feeling full. It's not drinking tons and tons of water. It's satisfying your hunger. ketogains is a great resource.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    i'm only 5'2" so that's part of the reason I'm 1200-1400 calories per day. I used to always be hungry trying to eat this little...until keto. fat is the key to feeling full. It's not drinking tons and tons of water. It's satisfying your hunger. ketogains is a great resource.

I'm 5'3" and do 2600 a day...and weight stable (my goal)

Fat may make you feel full but not everyone

5'2", 45, and my weight has stayed stable this week eating 2500-4000 Calories. Fat not only doesn't make me feel full but because I don't have a gall bladder it empties me out for around 24hours if I eat too much.
  • dlharris1
    dlharris1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it at all was absolutely starving. I increased to around 1500 and still lost. That 300 made a huge difference to me
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I eat between 1200-1300 calories a day. Here is how to do it with out feeling hungry. Vegs lots and lots of vegs. Limit bread, rice, potatoes and you will be fine. My doctor told me 1200-1500 calories are what women need. She also told me to limit and very small quantities of starches. Before eating the starches on my diet of 1200 calories I would be hungry all day. Now I eat most veges and protein and do not feel hungry all day.

No offense, but your doctor was wrong. There are plenty of women on here (some in their 40s and 50s, btw) who have reached their healthy goal weight and maintain on over 2000 calories a day. I'm 44, 5'4" 130 lbs and I maintain on 1800 per day and lost weight on 1500.

Not directed at you but just in general, we need to stop perpetuating this myth that all women need to be borderline hungry while eating like little fragile birds to be a healthy weight. Your body needs fuel, fat, protein, and fiber to be strong and healthy and active. And the majority of women will need more than 1200 to achieve that, even while they are trying to lose weight.

I'll get off my soapbox now :(

I will take your place!

I'm 5'2 and over 40 with a desk job and maintaining my weight under 120 lbs with a TDEE of 2200. I lost my weight (> 30 lbs) eating between 1600-1900 calories/day. The simple fact is that most people, even petite women, don't need to go as low as 1200 to lose. They either buy into that magic number, or they've chosen too aggressive of a goal for themselves (2 lbs/week is not realistic for someone with less than 50 lbs to lose) or they aren't eating back exercise calories.

What happens time and again in these situations is that people think they have to go all out with a big calorie deficit, they convince themselves jay dieting is supposed to be miserable and it's ok to be hungry, and they end up not sticking with it.... perpetuating this yo yo cycle.

As the wise rabbit once said, "the winner is one who eats the most and still loses the weight"

Same here. I'm just shy of 5'2, over 50, with a desk job, and maintain under 115 lbs. I was losing on 1600-1900 calories/day. Current TDEE is ~2000.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Are you tracking Fiber in your food diary? I swapped out Sugar and Sodium for Fiber and Iron (I'm anemic). Protein shakes alone don't fill me up either - I need fat and fiber in them as well.

Here are some combinations that I find very filling:

121bcc63c95214c4fe52989c16e50019.png
    Any thoughts or ideas on this? I have been reading that it's less about calories and more about WHAT you're eating. If you eat 1,500 calories of veggies, meat and fats it impacts weight loss positively. If you've got refined carbs in there but you're eating 1,200/day you can gain. I don't know if this is a thing, but I'm asking

I would lose on 1200 calories of junk if I could stick to it, which I couldn't because 1200 isn't enough calories for me in the first place and I don't find junk filling at all. I could have 1200 calories worth of pizza or ice cream at a sitting and feel hungry again the same time I'd feel hungry after 400 calories of fish, potato, and broccoli.

Here's a meal suggestion for you - tuna, cottage cheese, lettuce, and lots of your favorite salad veggies. My tuna comes packed in oil otherwise I would add a little olive oil or mayo.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Calories count most for weight loss.

What you eat matters for nutrition and satiety.

I'm a vegetarian, and don't need to use protein shakes unless I'd like to, and I get plenty of protein.

Is there a reason your doctor has you on the protein shake other than getting supplemental protein?
  • bgulk
    bgulk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost 37 pounds in a little over 90 days eating 1200 calories a day, no problems. But I'm only 5'3 and don't do any physical activity. Keep my protein up and carbs low- like under 120 a day.
  • raphonzel
    raphonzel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started 1200 calories and below a few days ago plus exercise. I thought I was going to be hungry but surprisingly I'm not. For breakfast, 1 cup black tea or coffee, 1 cup nonfat milk, 1 serving whole wheat cereal. For lunch, 1 cup brown rice and 1 small fish with veggies and soup made from calamansi juice, it is like lemon. For dinner 2 slices of bread, 1 slice of turkey bacon,1 serving of butter or 1 cup nonfat milk and 1 serving of whole wheat cereal plus some tropical fruits. I would drink more than 8 glasses of water for the whole day.
  • macw1_2000
    macw1_2000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been on JC and it's 1200 calories. I feel full all the time and sometimes can't even eat what I'm supposed to because I'm so full. I think it's just about what I chose to eat - before I was on this and on a 1200 calorie diet, I was starving. I think bread and sugars just make you hungrier.