1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• splinker
    splinker Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Gibby349 wrote: »
    . Also please keep in mind that MFP expects you to log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories. So even if your starting goal is 1200, you should be eating 1200 plus exercise calories.

This is something I can't figure out with the program. It seems that if I don't log enough exercise, it subtracts (a lot) from my daily allotted calories. But it does this even when I log something like 120 minutes of tennis. I feel like MyFitness is conspiring with my fitbit to punk me.
  • JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If I was put on a 1200 calorie diet, I'd just work out a *kitten* ton and make more calories for myself lol. See if that works if you eventually start to feel hungry and unsatisfied.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm five foot and do 1200 calories a day. I have enough energy to work out daily and I lift weights too. I am no where near cutting 1000 a day doing this. Due to a low maintenance calories for my height I cut about 500 through diet on 1200 calories and burn some exercising (additional 200-300 a day). I don't eat those back. I'm not hungry but I do high protein and I think that's why. My goal is 100 grams a day which is very manageable with egg whites, chicken, and I even squeeze a protein shake in there. I have recently taken up making sure I get lots of fiber and that helps too. You can find lots of items with high fiber in them. I do have one cheat meal a week. I go out to lunch on Fridays with my friends. FYI I weigh everything and still get all my daily nutrients plus some
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    splinker wrote: »
    . Also please keep in mind that MFP expects you to log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories. So even if your starting goal is 1200, you should be eating 1200 plus exercise calories.

This is something I can't figure out with the program. It seems that if I don't log enough exercise, it subtracts (a lot) from my daily allotted calories. But it does this even when I log something like 120 minutes of tennis. I feel like MyFitness is conspiring with my fitbit to punk me.

@splinker there are probably two things going on - your Activity Level is set to higher than Sedentary and you have Negative Adjustments enabled.

Make sure your Activity Level is appropriate for how you spend your day outside activities like tennis and considering unchecking Negative Adjustments.

5ncf4se7iwzr.jpg

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    For the most part, this thread makes me really sad. It seems people are being overly restrictive, not getting enough nutrients (and by the time you see/feel the effects, the damage has set in and takes so much time and effort to fix) and have no where to go down, calorie-wise, as they lose weight and need to drop the ceiling a bit. I mourn for all the lean mass being lost along with the day and water weight.

It just seems like folks take the most extreme and restrictive approach and that's usually not necessary. The weight didn't come on overnight, and it's not coming off that way, either. Weight-loss is a marathon, not a sprint.

Someone in here said once, "Whoever eats the most and loses weight wins."

I'm 5'3, lost almost 120 pounds and have been in maintenance for almost three years. At 46, I'm in better shape now than I was at 30. Please take care of yourselves! It's worth it in the end to get there and be able to hold on to what you've lost.

If it makes you feel any better, I still contend that easily half of the women who say they are eating 1200 and feel great and it's plenty of food... aren't using a food scale and aren't actually eating 1200 cals. The rest are divided between, smaller older women who really do have lower calorie needs and are appropriately eating that little, and unfortunately the rest are the women you are speaking to. I just wish people weren't as fast to encourage other women to eat so little. Like you, it makes me sad :(

What makes me sad is that as one of these smaller women I had to stick to 1200 before exercise to lose weight. I'd do enough exercise just so that I had enough to eat while losing at a faster pace than 1 pound a month. No way would I have restricted myself so little if I didn't need to. I enjoy eating too much for that.

I'm short, too, 5'3. Now at 115-120. I maintain with at least 1900 a day. I didn't have the leeway until I really tightened up my logging and had reliable CO information as well. I have a desk job, but I make sure I take walk breaks to keep my activity level up (and my brain from frying by staring at a computer screen).
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm fine on 1200 cal and some days I don't even make it to that. I don't have a problem overeating anymore as long as I'm making healthy choices and drinking enough water. I work a desk job and the only snack I keep in the office is peanut butter and a box of unflavored oat/quinoa packets for days I don't have time to grab lunch or didn't bring anything with me.

I've got about 20# I'm looking to lose still but it's coming off and I feel great lately.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Ah man...I'd love to lose weight on 1800 cals. I gain so easily if I head towards an average of 1900 :(
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Ah man...I'd love to lose weight on 1800 cals. I gain so easily if I head towards an average of 1900 :(

You might initially but with your level of activity you may start to see a downward trend soon after but you would need to be ok with the scale going up briefly

Mine went up about 5 when I started increasing calories and then slowly trended down - trick was minor bumps (10g carbs or so after it leveled out)