Strength training fail?

Options
kimblelynne
kimblelynne Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I went to the gym on Tuesday after deciding I was really going to focus on toning my arms and tried new machines. Now my arms hurt really bad from doms but I can't even straighten my left arm. It's like its locked at a 130 degree angle. What's going on?!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You went a little too hard right out of the gate. It's probably a good idea to wait until you feel normal to go back. In the mean time read over this thread and find a plan, because following a plan can keep you from doing too much at once:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You may want to make sure you're drinking lots of water and eating adequate protein to help with your current recovery.
  • kimblelynne
    kimblelynne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have a tendency to do that unfortunately. Never experienced this much pain though! Or an inability to straighten my arm
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Have you tried and heating pad and possibly take some pain reliever. Also soaking in a Epsom salt bath
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If your arm swells or your urine is a funny color, go to the ER immediately - very sore muscles can be rhabdo. If it's just DOMS you should be fine in a couple of days.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    is it 'can't straighten it because ow ow ow muscles' or 'can't straighten because won't straighten at all'?

if the former there's lots of good information on stretching out there on the internet. do it gently while the muscles are so pissed off, just to make sure you don't tear anything. and if you can regain any range, then try to make sure you use it to prevent the muscle from shortening up again. it seems counter intuitive, but a lot of soft tissue stuff does improve the more you use it.

if it's a hard restriction, i.e. something off in your elbow joint, that too might improve as the muscles chill out. but don't try to force one of those even gently.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You went a little too hard right out of the gate. It's probably a good idea to wait until you feel normal to go back. In the mean time read over this thread and find a plan, because following a plan can keep you from doing too much at once:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You may want to make sure you're drinking lots of water and eating adequate protein to help with your current recovery.

Just belaboring this...when you go back, start working with an actual program that is balanced and progressive.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym on Tuesday after deciding I was really going to focus on toning my arms and tried new machines. Now my arms hurt really bad from doms but I can't even straighten my left arm. It's like its locked at a 130 degree angle. What's going on?!

I like to call this the "beginner's blowout."

You did too much too soon.
  • vonveganstein
    vonveganstein Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    T- Rex arms You over did it, it will get better in few days