AIr Fryer a wonderful thing!

Options

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Experiment number 1 is complete. I was craving chinese food, so I air fried up some chicken chunks tempura style (dipped in corn starch, egg, then corn starch, and tossed it with some brown sauce over riced cauliflower.

Here's my initial thoughts: This thing is combination between a toaster oven and a convection oven. It cooks FAST. The batch of 270g of chicken was cooked in about 13 minutes. I used no oil just a spritz of non stick spray. Clean was easy but more stuck than I thought would.

DEFINITELY makes things very crisp. Probably due to the convection and air. This is better at toasting than a toaster oven is, but the crispy layer is very thin compared to conventional oil frying. Lunch was delicious btw.

GOEgEx4.png
    tx7tJ9f.png
    7U_xuzClQZyufTkye-4edQ.png

Next experiment will either be a chimichunga or a ribeye.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Experiment number 1 is complete. I was craving chinese food, so I air fried up some chicken chunks tempura style (dipped in corn starch, egg, then corn starch, and tossed it with some brown sauce over riced cauliflower.

Here's my initial thoughts: This thing is combination between a toaster oven and a convection oven. It cooks FAST. The batch of 270g of chicken was cooked in about 13 minutes. I used no oil just a spritz of non stick spray. Clean was easy but more stuck than I thought would.

DEFINITELY makes things very crisp. Probably due to the convection and air. This is better at toasting than a toaster oven is, but the crispy layer is very thin compared to conventional oil frying. Lunch was delicious btw.

GOEgEx4.png
    tx7tJ9f.png
    7U_xuzClQZyufTkye-4edQ.png

Next experiment will either be a chimichunga or a ribeye.

Thank you for the info & "how to" Can't have too much info.Your meal looks yummy!

One question,is the size ok .....cooking for 2 ppl?

• Geocitiesuser
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I would say so, yes. The 270g of chicken pretty much lined the bottom, depending on how the chicken is cut/arranged it could have fit more. This thing is massive (the 3.7L). If you're cooking things that can "stack" like fries you can fit a ton.

The fry basket its self is approximately 8" round and maybe 5" deep. So you could probably fit two small steaks, or 4 servings of fries, or whatever else might fit those dimensions. I bought an additional rack, so when I make my steak I'll probably have the steak on the rack above, and the veg roasting underneath it.

It fits "roughly" the same amount as your standard toaster oven, maybe slightly less because the dimensions are more depth than width.

Edit: I also tried a desert chimichunga (tortilla with cream cheese and a quest bar wrapped up). I put a spritz of non stick spray again. It didn't really "fry". In terms of chimichunga you're better off pan frying with a pat of butter if you want the flakey fried tortilla texture. This just sort of toasted it.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Does the outside of the air fryer get hot or warm?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Not really, the one I have is insulated pretty well. It throws off very little heat at all, much less than a stove or toaster oven.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I saw these pans in Walmart that supposedly simulated air frying. I didn't buy them but was interesting.

I want an air fryer, cause I love kitchen gadgets. I have ample counter space so that's not even close to an issue.
  • trisH_7183
    Options
    I would say so, yes. The 270g of chicken pretty much lined the bottom, depending on how the chicken is cut/arranged it could have fit more. This thing is massive (the 3.7L). If you're cooking things that can "stack" like fries you can fit a ton.

The fry basket its self is approximately 8" round and maybe 5" deep. So you could probably fit two small steaks, or 4 servings of fries, or whatever else might fit those dimensions. I bought an additional rack, so when I make my steak I'll probably have the steak on the rack above, and the veg roasting underneath it.

It fits "roughly" the same amount as your standard toaster oven, maybe slightly less because the dimensions are more depth than width.

Edit: I also tried a desert chimichunga (tortilla with cream cheese and a quest bar wrapped up). I put a spritz of non stick spray again. It didn't really "fry". In terms of chimichunga you're better off pan frying with a pat of butter if you want the flakey fried tortilla texture. This just sort of toasted it.

Thanks for the info & explanation.Love when we can hear from someone who actually uses whatever cooking gadget we are interested in.Gonna think some more,the size is my main interest.Many ppl say they wish they had bought the large size Fryer. No way I'd have space for 2!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Remember the physical size of this thing is huge too. So it's not really space efficient. The cooking basket is 8" round and 5" deep but the unit it's self is kinda huge. Here is the one I have http://amzn.to/2vprYJt

• Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Final experiment I'll share and some final thoughts. This time I through a .45lb thin sliced ribeye in there with a dash of spices and some non stick spray. I cooked it a total of 7 minutes at 400 degrees (maybe a pinch too long). The meat came out tender, but it doesn't get hot enough to caramelize the fat and the steak never got a "crisp" skin like I was hoping. It basically had the texture of a baked steak. A little bit of corn starch would have created a faux crispness I think, but that defeats the purpose of "healthy" frying.

IrmIOGU.jpg

Here's an image of the unit so you can see how freaking giant it is. I could have just barely fit two of these steaks in there.

u1Jtc2i.jpg

My final thoughts for this thread is that it is indeed, a toaster oven with a fan. Clean up is easy. It will crisp up only very certain foods, I may still try some frozen foods in here that would conventionally call for frying. The crispness it makes is much different from frying.

Will I use it again? Yeah, since it's out, I'll keep tossing things in there to find things that come out good. If anything it generates less heat and cooks faster than my stove. Would I recommend it? Only if you really like kitchen gadgets and have a lot of extra counter space. Otherwise the promise it sells (low oil fried foods) is a lie. Basically everything @crazyravr said lol. It's better used as a quicker/more efficient way of baking small amounts of food.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I saw a youtube video with gordon ramsey where he claimed an air fryer would give a steak a crisp outer layer so figured it was worth a shot. Never again. I typically won't cook steak in anything but stainless steel using real butter.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I've had a few things in an air fryer, and while its okay I too agree an oven or toaster oven could give you the same result. However my mom cant have any fat, she has gastroparesis so he doctors have recommened an extremely low fat diet for her, for her the air fryer gives her crispy foods that seem fried that she simply cant eat anymore, so I do think it has some value, but its not something I would waste my counter space on.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have a grandmother in law that has every single cooking appliance that exists in this world. Even that nu-wave. And the roticerrie. You name it.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I have a rotisserie as well. Love it. The only reason I don't use it more often is that I'm typically cooking for one and I struggle with controlling myself near 3lbs of freshly roasted meat. Probably one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.
  • trisH_7183
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do have counter space,but have decided to to pass on the air fryer......thanks to all the info & pictures.Already have buyer's remorse about a few gadgets,no sense in adding more.Been cooking for so long,can slice,dice,cook & bake in no time.BTW,a ribeye is yummy on the grill or cast iron skillet.Thanks again to all who tell it like it is.
  • Italiandiva38
    Italiandiva38 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I own a Nuwave Brio air fryer and love it! A friend recommended it to me but she has the power XL version, mines a 3.5 quart so it's a bit smaller.
  • katnippers
    katnippers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One nice thing is you don't have to keep an eye on food in the Air Fryer like you do cooking on the stove. You can do other things while it is cooking.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Bought an Air Fryer last week. Nuwave 6 Quart Air Fryer. Love fried foods but not the oil.

Friday Night I just wanted to test it out, so I quartered some fingerling potatoes lengthwise. Popped them in the microwave until they were almost tender then added about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and some garlic seasoning. Heated in Air Fryer at 360 for 10 minutes. Came out perfect. Just like steak fries.

Saturday night I decided on Fettuccine Alfredo for dinner. Threw the Sausages (whole -- skin removed), Sliced Red Peppers and Mushrooms in the Air Fryer, while I cooked the sauce and the pasta. Same scenario as above. Sausage came out crusty on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. Peppers and Mushrooms were perfect.

Sunday Night I decided to try something bigger. Took 4 large Chicken Breasts, brushed on a little vegetable oil and dredged in Italian Bread Crumbs that I had seasoned with Garlic. 360 Degrees for 25 minutes. Came out crusty on the outside and tender and moist on the inside.

I BBQ a lot, but with winter coming on, this appears to be my new "go to" for food prep.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Bought an Air Fryer last week. Nuwave 6 Quart Air Fryer. Love fried foods but not the oil.

Friday Night I just wanted to test it out, so I quartered some fingerling potatoes lengthwise. Popped them in the microwave until they were almost tender then added about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and some garlic seasoning. Heated in Air Fryer at 360 for 10 minutes. Came out perfect. Just like steak fries.

Saturday night I decided on Fettuccine Alfredo for dinner. Threw the Sausages (whole -- skin removed), Sliced Red Peppers and Mushrooms in the Air Fryer, while I cooked the sauce and the pasta. Same scenario as above. Sausage came out crusty on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. Peppers and Mushrooms were perfect.

Sunday Night I decided to try something bigger. Took 4 large Chicken Breasts, brushed on a little vegetable oil and dredged in Italian Bread Crumbs that I had seasoned with Garlic. 360 Degrees for 25 minutes. Came out crusty on the outside and tender and moist on the inside.

I BBQ a lot, but with winter coming on, this appears to be my new "go to" for food prep.

Name one thing that you have done above, that you could not simply accomplish in the oven you already have at home?

Basically, everything I listed above. I've never made fries in my oven. I've never made fried chicken in an oven, unless is was frozen, packaged and already cooked. I've never had sausage come out with the texture and tenderness as what I prepared this weekend.

If I had a convection oven, maybe. But, I don't.

I could have done it all in a deep fryer, but then I have to dispose of the grease and clean all the counter tops. And, deal with the extra calories.

I don't like cluttering my kitchen with all the latest gadgets, but this one was worth it.

• TheRoadDog
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    All that can be done in an oven at home. You should try sometime. Toss fries in a bit of oil, put in oven for 40 minutes. Same with chicken. Dip in egg wash, then bread, then bake. If your oven is more than 30 years old, maybe it cant do that, and upgrading would only increase your home value.
    Really, read the reviews.

I'm happy with my Air Fryer. Thanks.