Breastfeeding and weight loss

Options
I need help im so confused as to what my calorie intake should be. Im exclusively breastfeeding my 3rd baby who is 12 weeks old.
With my third i was mix feeding and eating 1400 cals a day. But i felt that was a bit low for me.

Replies

• JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think just like pregnancy you just need to increase your calorie intake by 300kcal/day.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Your intake will depend on your goals.

If you want to lose weight, eat at maintenance for yourself as a bare minimum. Exclusively breastfeeding a 3 month old burns between 300 and 700 calories daily but probably on the higher end of between 500 and 700 calories. Just exclusively nursing and eating at maintenance calories will create a safe calorie deficit and cause weight loss in nearly every nursing mother and will allow you to maintain high enough calories to support breastfeeding.

If you want to maintain, eat 300 calories more than maintenance. If you find yourself losing weight over a few weeks, add 100-200 calories more.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    this post has great info on breastfeeding and calorie counting in the second half

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Speak to your OB first. I have read and hear from some breastfeeding moms that their milk supply gets low once they start a diet.

This is only from experience. Not sure about the science behind it.
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My baby is 8 months old. I am still breast feeding. I had a lot of weight to lose. So have been on 1200 Cal's + gym 4 days a week. I have not had any problems with breastfeeding. If you still feel you want to increase your milk supply, fenugreek really helps. I also found oats helpful to boost supply.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Speak to your OB first. I have read and hear from some breastfeeding moms that their milk supply gets low once they start a diet.

This is only from experience. Not sure about the science behind it.

The body just needs energy to function, and more energy to create breastmilk. When faced with a deficit it is normal for the body to try to conserve. There is variability among women, some are able to cut back quite a bit and still produce but for others supply is the first thing to go. I suspect it is a combination of fat stores available and hormonal reponse.

My baby is 8 months old. I am still breast feeding. I had a lot of weight to lose. So have been on 1200 Cal's + gym 4 days a week. I have not had any problems with breastfeeding. If you still feel you want to increase your milk supply, fenugreek really helps. I also found oats helpful to boost supply.

I am glad this is working out for this poster, but OP be aware that 1200 calories is simply not enough for many breast feeding women. I would advise against cutting this low, at least all at once. You can try slowly working your way down, but try to avoid making big cuts and shocking your system.