Okay, I'm dumb - can someone help explain Protein Powders to me?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I've been recommended by my doctor to increase my protein for headache/migraine management, and so that I feel full and don't overeat. I genuinely struggle to get enough (eg like 60g or more) unless I'm well over maintenance calories. If I'm eating at a reduction, I usually get around 40-50g and sometimes it leaves me feeling unwell. Which leads to eating more, and then not succeeding at keeping a reduction. I'm working on including more higher protein foods, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I was thinking about getting protein bars as a compact emergency snack, but saw that I could make them myself with protein powder with (hopefully) fewer weird things and fake chocolate coating lol. So I started looking into protein powders and uh....I am very confused :p I've read a lot, but I'm not sure if what I've read is...correct. Help?

1) Whey vs Casein vs Other

From what I understand, Whey absorbs quickly (good for strength training people post-workout) but doesn't leave you full. For some people this also hurts their stomach and can cause gas, bloating, and other upsetnesses (yikes!)

Casein absorbs slowly and leaves you fuller longer. Both Casein and Whey are derived from milk and have a "milky" aftertaste? Which I understand isn't too terrible? Supposedly?.

- From this, I would guess that having a mixture of like 1/4 whey and 3/4 casein would be best for like achieving fullness and not being hungry later? Am I dumb?

Also egg protein is listed sometimes as chilling in the middle of those two, so that also sounds like a reasonable option, although I have no idea what that would taste like - and as I plan to eat eggs perhaps that's too much egg? idk.

Most plant-proteins are lower in protein and less complete, and supposedly don't mix as well/have a worse aftertaste. I've previously tried Vega and couldn't drink it no matter what I did, so I believe it. I had thought before it would be better environmentally/health-wise to try to use plant proteins but after that experience....I'm open to other options.

2) Sweeteners/additives

Some have sugar alcohols like maltitol that will give you the runs (aka RUN AWAY). I only know to look for maltitol but I know there are others....I would like to avoid that please!

Sometimes brands are listed as "good" because they are low carb or low sugar, then other places listed as "bad" because of artificial sweeteners and "additives" (whatever that means...).

I don't have a problem with aspartame or sucralose, and I've had things with Stevia that didn't taste bad (although I've heard that it can taste awful), but I did read that "maltodextrin" is something to stay away from, but not why... I'm confused :p

3) Taste

A clearly subjective measurement. Some people LOVE Vega and I couldn't choke it down, even a tablespoon in a huge fruit smoothie. (I'm not sure what the factor was, but it was absolutely undrinkable to me).

But I've been researching what people like based on taste, and the ones recommended seem to be MusclePharm (both the 'for ladies' and 'for dudes' versions - an aside, the packaging for all of this kind of stuff is kind of horrifying and embarrassing as heck, why? lol) Phase 8, and Syntha-6.

So as a question, or a tl;dr lol, what protein powders do you use and why? do you prefer a type (whey, casein, other) or a mixture and what difference does it make? what ingredients do you look to avoid? and how does it taste?

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I kinda think they all taste horrible as a drink. However I use the protein cheesecake recipe on here and use that to keep my protein levels up. In cheesecake I like many of them.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I am partial to Isopure, but get terrible migraines with any sweetener, aside from sugar, so I use the Unflavored Whey Isolate. It mixes well in chocolate milk, baked goods, and is a staple in my chocolate milk/protein powder/coffee routine. When I'm willing to endure a migraine/take a pill and go to bed, I borrow hubby's Dutch Chocolate Isopure....super delicious mixed with chocolate milk.

RX Bars are a good source of protein without the "weird ingredients".
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress as a brand and because there seem to be a gazillion different versions, I always check the label and look for the ones that have 75-80% protein by gram per serving. So, for example, a "serving" of 32 g would have at least 24 g of protein. I like the whey/casein mix (soy does not really agree with my stomach). I choose the chocolate flavors, and always add at least 5 g of cocoa powder (sometimes up to 15 g) to improve the taste. I find it tastes better when mixed with milk plus ice cubes. However, I can also make a protein smoothy using greek yogurt and frozen fruit that has the same amount of protein and only a few more calories. So the powder stuff may not be necessary for you :)
  • kiela64
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I kinda think they all taste horrible as a drink. However I use the protein cheesecake recipe on here and use that to keep my protein levels up. In cheesecake I like many of them.

Yes, I was thinking I would make some things by recipe like bars/balls/etc. Where did you find your recipe? I'd be interested in it if you pass it on!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I love Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey Protein line. I like both the Rich Chocolate and Strawberry flavors. I don't worry too much about whey vs. casein personally, but I do find that my shake (120 cal, 25g protein) is satisfying (for me) so I haven't dug into the idea that one is better than another (and I think that it may be entirely personal about which one works better for you). I usually have one as an afternoon snack around my workout and occasionally, when I have a sweet tooth craving, I just make one. I used to buy cheaper protein powders, but they mixed poorly and tasted chalky to me- the difference for paying a bit more was worth it to me.

Again, you don't have to drink them- I consume a lot of dairy, eggs, meat, etc to reach close to my goal (~115g/day) but the protein shake really helps fill in the gaps. I am aiming for more protein than the average person needs, however, because I really feel like high protein helps me more than any other macro break down, plus I do weight lifting and want to maintain my muscles.
  • jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think Isopure toasted coconut tastes the best. I cannot stand drinking them, but this one I can get down. It also mixes well in smoothies and other recipes. For most of my protein I eat a lot of egg whites, chicken breast, and turkey. I also really like Premier Protein bars, they have 30g of protein per bar, but might have too much "weird" stuff in them, I don't think so and they don't mess up my digestive system like some others do. Quest makes protein chips which seem bizarre, but are really pretty good.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much are you aiming for, out of how many cals?

Open your diary
  • kiela64
    edited August 2017
    Options
    How much are you aiming for, out of how many cals?

Open your diary

My diary is open I believe, but I haven't used it in several months. My last year of undergrad was hellish and I just ate badly and didn't care because I needed a 4.0 (and I got it! Lol but yeah mental/physical health in the trash). I previously lost ~20lbs and put them back on.

MFP recommends I hit 73g of protein/day on 1460cal (to lose 1/2lb per week). I'm 5'2 and 197lbs. I'm in physio for my knee/ankle/weak glutes (I have a sad, weak body that I'm trying to fix. Exercise needs to be part of my life, and I eat better when I exercise, but atm I'm rather limited to light/gentle cardio such as walking and the stationary bike and gentle yoga).

I went back to find where I had logged and yeah, it's just partial and a mess. I used it to check some things but not others and yeah.... I have 2 weeks of vacation before I start grad school (thankfully part time now, so hopefully I can be a person) and I'm brainstorming solutions and making some plans.

My plans so far are:

A) no more buying food (which will be easy, since grad school has taken all my money lol)

B) packing a meal AND a snack or two to get me through the day.

I've done okay making meals of lentils/beans and rice or chili and rice, etc and freezing them but I would often get tripped up when I needed more than my meal to get through long days at school and I'd buy things. Thus, I'm looking into additional snacks - greek yogurt, hardboiled eggs, and possibly protein bars either homemade or purchased.

That last train of thought led me to researching protein powder, because I thought it would be good to make things like protein bars/balls/other recipes and freeze them. I thought it would also be a change from the soft texture of yogurt and eggs that can leave me craving something more solid. It would also be a good back up to when I'm lazy/overwhelmed (which happens because I'm a flawed human that sometimes gives up on doing Things) so that I have a thing to eat that I'll know is okay.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I use Sunwarrior, Warrior Blend, chocolate flavor. It is plant-based, but the best one I've found (I'm with you on Vega - yuck!) In a typical serving, it has 17g protein which you're right, is lower than some powders, but to me it is worth it because I know what I'm getting ingredient-wise. Plus my body doesn't handle whey well, so I like that it's plant based. I just mix it with water and a little almond milk in a shaker cup, that's it. Only 100cals, plus lots of other "goodies" like amino acids. I haven't tried making bars out of it but I'm sure you could find a recipe. It's so low calorie that you could probably even eat 2 bars to double up on the protein!

Aside from meat, my other 2 favorite sources of protein are Greek yogurt and string cheese.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Protein powders/bars usually do little to nothing for my hunger/satiety... I opt for another small meal rather than a snack whenever possible. Little snacks or drinks just do nothing for me.
    Whey- I am a fan of BSN-Syntha 6, however that has slightly higher carbs than most people prefer from a powder. (I think that's why it tastes to good though;) Another great brand is MTS Nutrition. Tastes pretty good on it's own, even better with milk.
    Casein- I will not drink this as a shake. Nope. It just has a really strange texture, no matter what brand I've tried. While it is slower digesting, I don't feel that has any effect on my hunger. It is still a liquid/powder, and I would rather eat things.

As far as getting more protein in, I try to pre plan my day to include a decent serving of protein at every meal. I usually opt for chicken, beef, or eggs/egg whites as my main protein sources. (I usually eat all 3 of those every day, actually.) Then add some voluminous, low calorie veggies, sweet potatoes, etc-things to bulk up your meal. (Carbs and fats have their place with satiety as well though.)

If you eat 3 meals at 25 grams of protein each (about 4 ounces of meat) you're already at 75 grams right there. You're done with your protein, and you can use the remainder of your calories as you please.

OP- do you eat meat? I see you made no mention of any, but you did mention things like cheese and eggs.

Seems like you might be better off doing more meal planning, than planning more snacks/drinks which may still leave you craving something "solid."
  • kiela64
    Options
    Protein powders/bars usually do little to nothing for my hunger/satiety... I opt for another small meal rather than a snack whenever possible. Little snacks or drinks just do nothing for me.
    Whey- I am a fan of BSN-Syntha 6, however that has slightly higher carbs than most people prefer from a powder. (I think that's why it tastes to good though;) Another great brand is MTS Nutrition. Tastes pretty good on it's own, even better with milk.
    Casein- I will not drink this as a shake. Nope. It just has a really strange texture, no matter what brand I've tried. While it is slower digesting, I don't feel that has any effect on my hunger. It is still a liquid/powder, and I would rather eat things.

As far as getting more protein in, I try to pre plan my day to include a decent serving of protein at every meal. I usually opt for chicken, beef, or eggs/egg whites as my main protein sources. (I usually eat all 3 of those every day, actually.) Then add some voluminous, low calorie veggies, sweet potatoes, etc-things to bulk up your meal. (Carbs and fats have their place with satiety as well though.)

If you eat 3 meals at 25 grams of protein each (about 4 ounces of meat) you're already at 75 grams right there. You're done with your protein, and you can use the remainder of your calories as you please.

OP- do you eat meat? I see you made no mention of any, but you did mention things like cheese and eggs.

Seems like you might be better off doing more meal planning, than planning more snacks/drinks which may still leave you craving something "solid."

I do eat some meat, but I don't enjoy much (very picky with fat and texture) and I refuse to touch it raw so I'm not cooking it myself. Usually about 2oz/person is in dinners at home, and only a few times a week, some weeks not at all.

I've never had that much protein in a meal XD usually about 10-15g. And I've never had meat 2x in a day except when I've stayed over at a friend's house.

I'm definitely working on meal planning, but this was an idea to help. The meals I've typically made for my lunches are rice and beans/lentils. Usually ends up around 400cal and 13g protein. Dinner is usually closer to 600-800 which with a 500cal breakfast still leaves me well under that 73g of protein and not a lot of calorie wiggle room with 1460 - hence I go over because I'm still hungry XD
  • kiela64
    Options
    I actually found some Vegan Protein+ from Genuine Health in the cupboard, back from when I tried Vega. This isn't good but it's edible. Too sweet from the Stevia, but oh well. I re-tried it in a hot chocolate with cocoa powder added and it was okay. Couldn't finish it, but it might be worth trying some of the recipes with - I've seen a lot say not to use whey because the texture can be ruined with cooking.

Thanks for your help! I wish I did get 25g/meal but I just don't know how to eat that way. I'm going to try! Maybe I'll get there eventually.

I think when I finish this one, and if I have success with some recipes, I may try an unflavoured/unsweetened powder. The taste of this isn't gag-inducing, but after a while sipping on it the too-sweet flavour gets overwhelming (I needed to chew some gum after).

I'll keep an eye out for Sun Warrior, thanks brianneangell08! I'm definitely a greek yogurt fan too. Greek yogurt and hard boiled eggs are my best ideas for increasing protein, but i'm hoping this will add variety.
    psuLemon wrote: »
    1. A lot of proteins will run blends of whey and casein, but the main difference is the absorption rate as you noted. Personally, I don't notice a difference in fullness with either. Whey is more mixer friendly, but casein is better with making things like ice cream. I do use whey in a recipes (i.e., overnight oats) to help boost protein content. I'd recommend getting some samples of a few brands to see what you like best. I personally like Muscle Pharm and Quest, but a lot of people like PEscience, MyProtein and ON. I think all plant based proteins taste like crap. And they have lower Leucine contents which is the driver for muscle protein synthesis, which supports muscle recovery/growth.
    2. This is personal preference. I don't get reactions to any sweetener. I do tend to stay away from maltodextrin because it's a very cheap sugar additive and somehow companies always overprice product with it because it's "marketed" as a fast acting sugar to replenish glycogen.
    3. Do not buy any supplement marketed for ladies. It's going to be overpriced and inferior. There is no difference for protein when it comes to sex. The only supplement that should be marketed towards women are multivitamins because of folic acid/iron levels.

Thank you! I am definitely not a fan of the Vegan Protein+ one I found, but it doesn't make me gag and I'm tight on money atm so I'll use it up. I did read that things not tasting fantastic is a good way not to overeat, but in my experience if nothing tastes good at all I give up and eat other things (weak I know lol).

Re: 3 - YEP I definitely saw a huge markup. I made a lil chart of the different ones I read about by protein grams per 100cal and price per pound. The only one that beat the FitMiss (which amounted to $25/lb) was the unflavoured whey from Nestle Boost which was $40/lb. Others were more like $11-$17/lb. But so much of the packaging for dudes is just flat out embarrassing lol I can see why rebranding works. I don't think I could stand my parents seeing something that looks like the MuscleMilk or Phase8 container in the cupboard haha. I'd need a plain container to store it in.

I did look for samples but I didn't see any. But since I'm not getting anything right away I'll keep my eyes open. It would be useful for sure!
  • kiela64
    Options
    jgnickel wrote: »
    I think Isopure toasted coconut tastes the best. I cannot stand drinking them, but this one I can get down. It also mixes well in smoothies and other recipes. For most of my protein I eat a lot of egg whites, chicken breast, and turkey. I also really like Premier Protein bars, they have 30g of protein per bar, but might have too much "weird" stuff in them, I don't think so and they don't mess up my digestive system like some others do. Quest makes protein chips which seem bizarre, but are really pretty good.

Thank you! I'll look for them! :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    first and foremost; i rarely drink protein powder plain. like... almost never. it's my opinion that unless you may a shake with fruit (fiber+bulk) and peanut butter (fat) chia seeds (fiber, fat, some protein), etc. it just isn't worth it. Not only does it taste better it makes drinking a protein supplement actually enjoyable.

as for what types.... i always recommend a whey protein isolate. zero digestive problems (even for those who are lactose intolerant), excellent smooth consistency, available all over the place, etc.

You could also start adding in snacks like a fage yogurt (20g protein), a protein bar, or even making protein baked goods (like brownies, cheesecakes, bars, breads, cookies, etc.)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as a fellow vegetarian i highly recommend prepping meals high in protein beforehand so it takes the guess work out of the equation.

for recipes:
    https://theproteinchef.co/category/healthy-recipes/vegetarian-recipes/
    https://theproteinchef.co/healthy-recipes/
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My Dr. had me increase my protein and recommended Premier Protein Shakes, with 30g of protein each. 92puaqxtvb6t.png

Only 160 calories each. They do have some artificial sweeteners but only 3 net carbs each. I have vanilla, chocolate and banana cream but there are other flavors. He has me drinking 3-4 of these a day, then 1 meal with 6oz meat/fish with some green leafy veggies. All this last week I had 18 pre-cooked frozen shrimp from Costco and 2 cups of spinach\collard greens\broccoli etc. They don't seem that filling (11.2 oz) but 15 minutes after having one I am no longer hungry. I also try and drink 8oz of water each hour. "try". I don't always make it. They do make powder and bars but I know the bars have some sugar added which jumps the carbs to like 25. So have not tried them. The powders also have some sugar and run about 8 carbs a serving. So I just stick the the drinks which are also very nice at work. I just keep a few in the fridge.
  • kiela64
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    first and foremost; i rarely drink protein powder plain. like... almost never. it's my opinion that unless you may a shake with fruit (fiber+bulk) and peanut butter (fat) chia seeds (fiber, fat, some protein), etc. it just isn't worth it. Not only does it taste better it makes drinking a protein supplement actually enjoyable.

as for what types.... i always recommend a whey protein isolate. zero digestive problems (even for those who are lactose intolerant), excellent smooth consistency, available all over the place, etc.

You could also start adding in snacks like a fage yogurt (20g protein), a protein bar, or even making protein baked goods (like brownies, cheesecakes, bars, breads, cookies, etc.)

Yes! I am mostly planning to use the protein powder to make those sorts of things like bars and cookies etc. Thank you!

I've never heard of fage yogurt, that sounds really high! I've been using Liberte and Oikos greek yogurt, and it's only around 15g in 3/4 of a cup (I never have that much, usually more like a 1/2 cup so it's less). I'll have to look into that.

And thank you for the recipes! I have usually plugged my recipes into the recipe maker in MFP but I've never quite mangaged to get more than 10-15g/meal tbh.
  • kiela64
    Options
    My Dr. had me increase my protein and recommended Premier Protein Shakes, with 30g of protein each. 92puaqxtvb6t.png

Only 160 calories each. They do have some artificial sweeteners but only 3 net carbs each. I have vanilla, chocolate and banana cream but there are other flavors. He has me drinking 3-4 of these a day, then 1 meal with 6oz meat/fish with some green leafy veggies. All this last week I had 18 pre-cooked frozen shrimp from Costco and 2 cups of spinach\collard greens\broccoli etc. They don't seem that filling (11.2 oz) but 15 minutes after having one I am no longer hungry. I also try and drink 8oz of water each hour. "try". I don't always make it. They do make powder and bars but I know the bars have some sugar added which jumps the carbs to like 25. So have not tried them. The powders also have some sugar and run about 8 carbs a serving. So I just stick the the drinks which are also very nice at work. I just keep a few in the fridge.

Wow that is very high! Much higher than anything I've seen. I'll keep an eye out for that brand thank you!
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Why do you not want to touch raw meat? Is it concern about cooking it properly? Texture/feel?

You can, at least in the UK, buy things that are precooked, like meatballs, prawns and chicken. You can also get a lot of things canned. It's more expensive but it might help you out a bit. I really enjoy prawn omelette - here's a recipe with 39g of protein per serving and 386kcal :)
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1506635/prawn-and-broccoli-asian-omelette