Jane plan v weight watchers

Options
Hi

I've ordered Jane plan due to back surgery exercise is very limited and having most food delivered is much easier portion control etc I tend to cook for 8 people when it's just me.

I then also joined weight watchers as this will give me the motivation to stick to the plan.

But I've added my daily meals into here great it seems I'm within the calorie amount even having a non Jane plan breakfast. But when they are added into the WW app I'm going to be way over.

Which one should I worry about? I have at least 5st to loss

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what matters for weight loss. Eat fewer calories than your body expends in a day.

Look up your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) aka maintenance. You need to be under this number........
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that WW's system isn't strictly tied to calories, but also provides incentives and disincentives to try and get you to eat healthier. The system here is going to be more transparent because it's just calories.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    MyFitnessPal is so easy. I regret the years and money I spent on other plans.
    * I saw your diary. You are going to starve at 1200 daily calories. Up that to 1400 and give it a try first.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

TeaBea wrote: »
    Calorie deficit is what matters for weight loss. Eat fewer calories than your body expends in a day.

Look up your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) aka maintenance. You need to be under this number........
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I'm going to be way under that but atm a online calculator won't give the correct figure due to the surgery recovery my body will be burning more than normal, as recovery can peak and fall for different reasons. Also different people recover at different rates.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You can stay within WW points, and the correct number of calories if you are willing to eat low/no fat and low/no carbs. I personally believe that most people need both of those things, especially fat. When I double tracked calories and points, I would be under my calories goal, but 15 points over my WW goal. Just wasn't for me.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    I'm not a low fat person when you look into anything 'low fat' it's either tiny or high in sugar.
    I'll probably use weight watchers for the weigh in bit and log on here.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are going to go mental trying to reconcile three plans. Pick one. Then adjust for experience. If you aren't losing on points, lower your points. If you choose to track calories, track your calories for a couple weeks and see if you are losing weight. If you are, you have found the appropriate daily calories.

P.S. There is no such thing as a flatter tummy plan as Jane is claiming to offer. I can understand why you want food delivery if you are recovering from back surgery, but the claims to flatten your tummy turns me off right away.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    I know it won't give me a flat tummy but it's under 1200 calories you add in extra things like fruit and veg.

I need the motivation previously I went to an extremely good (by eye watering expensive) gym in London where it was purely weights and abs a personal trainer for each session and an eating plan. Every 2 weeks you were measured and weighed knowing I was going to be measured and weighed kept me going. Unfortunately I don't live in London and weights are banned for the foreseeable exercise is up to two months then it's only gentle so I will have to hope I can lose weight through diet and I can't cut carbs.

In the past weight loss has always been a combination of exercise and a low carb diet (either high fat or high protein). So this situation I'm in now is fair from ideal recovering from a broken ankle was much easier as I could lift, ski and swim once the cast was off.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    aneary1980 wrote: »
    I know it won't give me a flat tummy but it's under 1200 calories you add in extra things like fruit and veg.

I need the motivation previously I went to an extremely good (by eye watering expensive) gym in London where it was purely weights and abs a personal trainer for each session and an eating plan. Every 2 weeks you were measured and weighed knowing I was going to be measured and weighed kept me going. Unfortunately I don't live in London and weights are banned for the foreseeable exercise is up to two months then it's only gentle so I will have to hope I can lose weight through diet and I can't cut carbs.

In the past weight loss has always been a combination of exercise and a low carb diet (either high fat or high protein). So this situation I'm in now is fair from ideal recovering from a broken ankle was much easier as I could lift, ski and swim once the cast was off.

carbs wont make you fat so no worries. I eat a lot of carbs and had no issues losing in the past even not exercising due to an injury.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that WW's system isn't strictly tied to calories, but also provides incentives and disincentives to try and get you to eat healthier. The system here is going to be more transparent because it's just calories.

The smart points system also seems to bring out the most creative & manipulative ways to cram as many calories into as low a point value as possible. People love bragging about eating entire watermelons for 0 smart points. While I was on WW, I gave myself a huge pat on the back for making an entire meal for 0 smart points (it was about 250 calories & included egg whites, fruit & Canadian ham).

OP, having been very successful on WW, I still recommend just sticking with calories. You can look right at the nutritional facts label & know that food's values without having to "translate" it into smart points. Plus, WW changes their algorithms & points programs regularly enough to be incredibly annoying for those who are use to a particular system. Calories will be calories forever.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, I confused myself trying to line up points and calories. Either I was over one trying to match the other or vice versa. Stick to the one system that suits your needs. It all comes down to making a caloric deficit.