Macros on MFP - they are not making sense to me

Options
My food today-
B : 30g oatbran + 50ml milk
L: 2 egg whites, 23g avocado, 1 tomato, cucumbers, onion
S: 1 whole-wheat bread + salad
D: Homemade veg broth soup no oil (mainly onion, carrot, green beans, cabbage)
116g grilled chicken breast no oil

Macros tell me I have had full 50/50 carbs but 32% protein target being 20%of total food. Am I overdoing protein?

Replies

• Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I also don't track my gym sessions on MFP because it is a pain to do.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd go by the grams amounts instead of using the percentages. The percentages can be kind of misleading if you're just getting started. How many grams of protein did you get and what was your goal? (and do you have any reason to worry about going over your goal? A lot of us treat the protein goal in grams as a minimum amount to reach every day instead of a maximum to stay under)
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the question. You can set the macros to be whatever you want them to be. So you've eaten 50% of your calories from carb and 32% of your calories from protein and 18% of your calories from fat, right? But MFP only wants you to eat 20% of your calories from protein, is that what you're trying to say?

If you prefer to eat more protein than the preset macros, and I do, change it up to 30% or similar and lower the carb or fat target.

I think I have mine set at 35% carbs, 30% protein and 35% fat, but usually I pay more attention to the grams than the percentages. I like to get at least 100 grams carbs and try to aim for a minimum of 90 grams protein. I have trouble getting enough protein.
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Options
    O that makes sense now. I didn't realize I could change it.
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Options
    Also, I will start tracking in grams now. However, how do I know how many grams of protein, carbs or fats I should be having?
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Also, I will start tracking in grams now. However, how do I know how many grams of protein, carbs or fats I should be having?

It's kind of a personal decision.

The USDA recommends the percentages that are the MFP default, I think. Athletes or bodybuilders may want quite a bit more protein than that. Keto dieters probably want quite a bit fewer carbs than that recommendation and quite a lot more fat.

I just go by what makes me feel best. My thyroid does best if it gets at least 100 grams carbs. And I faint a lot and have hormonal issues if I eat as little protein and fat as the government thinks I should have. And if I keep the carbs, fats, protein relatively equal, I tend to be more satiated.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

A lot of that is up to you. There's no single perfect macro split that you must hit. There are fat and protein minimums that you should probably aim for just for general health, but unless you have medical conditions that you're trying to manage through diet, there are a lot of different macro goals that will work for you.

Personally, I found good success using the setup described here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Options
    This makes so much more sense. Thanks a million!
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Options

It's kind of a personal decision.

The USDA recommends the percentages that are the MFP default, I think. Athletes or bodybuilders may want quite a bit more protein than that. Keto dieters probably want quite a bit fewer carbs than that recommendation and quite a lot more fat.

I just go by what makes me feel best. My thyroid does best if it gets at least 100 grams carbs. And I faint a lot and have hormonal issues if I eat as little protein and fat as the government thinks I should have. And if I keep the carbs, fats, protein relatively equal, I tend to be more satiated.

I have hypothyroidism too. I have days when I really crave carbs but most of the time I feel more satiated when I have a good portion of protein in my meal