Does milk really do a body good?

Options
jg627
jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
ugh, I just finished a 12 in italian sub from subway overloaded with veggies. I had to split it in half and ate each half in 2 hour intervals, but now my stomach hurts.... I may have gotten too used to eating small amounts at a time due to my low calorie diet. Has anyone tried supplimenting calories with 2% or whole milk? I read about some people in the powerlifting community who drink a gallon of milk in a day while doing intense weight training. I was just looking up on the nutritional information for milk and it's got a near perfect balance of fat, protein and carbohydrates. By the way, I'm pretty big, so my maintenance calories is ~3000. I got big by eating burger king, which is extremely calorie dense and doesn'[t fill your somach as much, but now I'm trying to eat healthy food, which is lower in calories and higher in nutrients, but it's hard to meet my calorie goals and I don't want to go too low and make myself sick. I've also started lifting at the gym recently and I love it.

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    1% milk or almond milk are good options as well.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    not when you're lactose intolerant :frown:
    Milk does my body ALL wrong.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    No...dairy is not very healthy for you at all.

http://josquin.tripod.com/milk.htm
  • jg627
    Options
    I think I might try it then. It may also fit my lifestyle as well... I got into this mess by working all the time, being tired, waking up late for work and it was just extremely convenient to hit the burger king drive through and get a #2 large with coke. And since milk is mostly water anyway, that will also help me get my daily water.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I hate drinking my calories but then again I have 1350 cal a day. Milk is controversial on this board. If it fit in your life style, it's not a bad idea.
  • jg627
    Options
    Controversial or not, it can't possibly be any worse than burger king :-)
  • rebel9
    rebel9 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have always used either skim or 1% milk to supplement my diet.

I make post workout protein shakes with it, I drink a glass in the morning with breakfast, and I will have a small glass before bed if I am really trying to lose weight (the few calories and relatively high amount of slow-digesting protein help boost metabolism).

If possible, try to drink milk that has no hormones (rBGH and rBST). They are used to help the cow produce higher amounts of milk. A lot of people think that this is one of the reasons that cancer is being found at much higher rates today. The countries of the European Union, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand have all banned the use of these hormones for this reason. I don't know if this is actually true (the cancer, not the banning of the hormones), but I don't want to take a chance since cancer and numerous other diseases run in my family.
  • jg627
    Options
    I have heard about cows getting steriod shots. I want to be steroid free. Do you happen to know where I can find more information about that?
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i love milk. i will never stop drinking it. that being said, i only drink fat free organic milk and only about 1-2 glasses a day.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Did you know that those who are lactose tolerant are mutants? Neat huh?
  • jg627
    Options
    Hey mutants are cool if they have an adamantium coated skeleton or can manipulate magnetic fields. Sorry, had to throw that in there :-) (that's not to say lactose intolerant people can't be cool too)

Back on target... I'm not lactose intolerant and I like milk, but I'm just getting sick of eating all the time because of all the massive amount of calories I need. Otherwise it wouldn't be such a big deal. I'm not into the low fat diets. I want to keep my tonails healthy and not digging into my toe and I need amino acids for the gym. The one problem I see with milk is the low amount of polyunsaturated fat compared to the rest. Almond milk is exactly the opposite. Heavier on polyunsaturated, but 0 saturated. High amounts of saturated fat is bad, but avoiding it altogether is even worse.
  • jg627
    Options
    Heck, maybe the best of both worlds might work... fill your glass with half milk and half almond milk. that could work. I've never tried almond milk though. Does it actually taste like milk?
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

Did you know that those who are lactose tolerant are mutants? Neat huh?

I had my suspicions...