When will people recognise my weight loss

Options

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to know if the person thinks I'm losing cause personally I don't trust scale. I have a feeling that I'm gaining
    [/quote]

How your clothing fits and measurements of waist, hips, thighs, etc... can be good non-scale indicators.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It depends on a TON of things. How heavy you were/are. how closely are these people looking at you. How you hold your weight. How you dress. how quickly you lost it. how comfortable are they with talking to you about it.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I get comments whenever I get new clothes in a smaller size. Or when I get a haircut. Basically anything that causes people to step back and reassess their mental image of me.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It took 40 lbs before someone said anything to me. Since then only a couple other people have said anything (I'm down 66 now). I'm still big overall and I think people are awkward bring up weight in general.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    For me they did not start noticing until I bought new better fitting clothes They had noticed my clothes hanging around me but not quite seen the loss as I still wore what they'd seen me wear for years.

This was true for me. I couldn't afford new clothes for at least the first 30 lbs, but once I stopped wearing my old dumpy stuff, people started to comment.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    in my experience it takes about 20 lbs of weight loss before people notice.
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've found it takes about 30lbs before anyone will really notice AND say something. Also because your clothes start not fitting right anymore. :3
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I could see a difference around 8lbs down. But those few I asked for validation admitted that they didn't see much difference with the caveat that they see me every day. Others started commenting around 15 lbs down. The "you look AMAZING comments started coming in around 20-25 lbs down. The awkward comments began rolling in around 30lbs down, along with the "don't lose anymore, you're already too thin." And the weirdos catcalling, ogling and hitting on me at random (I may have been unhappy with my weight at the beginning, but at least my extra fluff spared me from that), started when I hit my goal of 35lbs down.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight it took around 30lbs I think before my coworkers started commenting on it. Some of them commented on how they noticed it around the back of my neck. It depends really on where you're losing it and how much of it is fat I guess too. My mum and I noticed it in my face first I think.

I'd suggest taking measurements too because as much as I never saw a difference in my waistline, I went down a size or two in my jeans which was awesome. Might also just depend on what kind of clothes you're wearing too that they might not be able to notice it.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    People started noticing around 25 pounds.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My neurologist was very excited about my 13 lbs, lol. And my husband is a sweetie, so mentions it, even though he's fibbing. But otherwise, no one else, lol.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to lose so people haven't notice my weight loss lately. Not even my husband. I had to show him a progress picture so he could see that I am in fact losing.

... oh but let me gain 5lbs and all of a sudden everyone notices a change lol

Ugh, so true.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    From my experience, most people never commented how BIG I got. I think in their mind, if they verbally said how much I'd lost, they'd be admitting they noticed how big I got. I think in general, people are too nervous to offend. I do have a before picture when I started a new job last May where I was like 40 pounds heavier. I bring it up and show people and then they feel more comfortable saying something.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    I started at 125 kg. About the time I lost 10 kg, I didn't notice any loss myself when looking in the mirror but I had 2 people at work notice my face looked thinner (less bloated I suppose). One of my coworkers asked if I was losing weight and I responded yes. Then he said "on purpose?", oh well I suppose he was concerned I was ill or something. Was still odd.

Someone I haven't seen in a while did that to me. I've been so happy about my weight loss. This person mentioned I'd lost a lot of weight and asked with a concerned face if it was "for health reasons." She was asking if I was seriously ill or dying.

Yes, I lost it for health reasons -- because I was fat and didn't want to drop dead from a heart attack.

To the OP, they'll say something eventually, and besides saying you look great you might get some really weird remarks.

I don't know how "weird" it would be to question that someone's dramatic weight loss isn't a result of serious illness (especially given that it's probably more statistically significant than an obese individual actually losing weight).

I would be much more concerned with offending someone dealing with a grave health issue by "congratulating" them on their weight reduction, than whether I made someone feel better about noticing a barely perceptible vanity loss.

"Weird" was a polite way of putting it. Nosy hits the mark. The woman was hinting around to find out if I was seriously ill and offended me. She doesn't know me well.

I lost about 40 pounds. I don't know how dramatic that was over 6 months. I was technically obese before I lost the weight, but not morbidly obese.

I would never in a million years dig around to find out if somebody I didn't know well was seriously ill because they were thinner.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I started at 125 kg. About the time I lost 10 kg, I didn't notice any loss myself when looking in the mirror but I had 2 people at work notice my face looked thinner (less bloated I suppose). One of my coworkers asked if I was losing weight and I responded yes. Then he said "on purpose?", oh well I suppose he was concerned I was ill or something. Was still odd.

Someone I haven't seen in a while did that to me. I've been so happy about my weight loss. This person mentioned I'd lost a lot of weight and asked with a concerned face if it was "for health reasons." She was asking if I was seriously ill or dying.

Yes, I lost it for health reasons -- because I was fat and didn't want to drop dead from a heart attack.

To the OP, they'll say something eventually, and besides saying you look great you might get some really weird remarks.

I don't know how "weird" it would be to question that someone's dramatic weight loss isn't a result of serious illness (especially given that it's probably more statistically significant than an obese individual actually losing weight).

I would be much more concerned with offending someone dealing with a grave health issue by "congratulating" them on their weight reduction, than whether I made someone feel better about noticing a barely perceptible vanity loss.

"Weird" was a polite way of putting it. Nosy hits the mark. The woman was hinting around to find out if I was seriously ill and offended me. She doesn't know me well.

I lost about 40 pounds. I don't know how dramatic that was over 6 months. I was technically obese before I lost the weight, but not morbidly obese.

I would never in a million years dig around to find out if somebody I didn't know well was seriously ill because they were thinner.

It's probably the fishing and probing that's problematic. I work in a fitness center, so weight is a common topic. I ran into a member in the hallway and they said they lost x lbs. I said "On purpose?" and they said "Yeah!" so I said "Awesome!" Sometimes you just have to come out and say what you mean.

I seldom bring up someone else's weight with them, though. I just find it so uncomfortable when they do with me, but a lot of people want to accomplish what I have so it comes with the territory, unfortunately.