c25k starting 1st August - support group?

Options
Hi everyone,

About me: I started MFP in Feb this year. I've been doing well so far but want to get my fitness in check. I've never been a runner in my life but successful people here have nearly always got themselves addicted to running. So this is my plan!

I've signed up for a 5k run on 30th October this year and am really going from Couch to 5k. I'm starting the c25k programme tomorrow (!st August). Are there any complete newbies out there who would like to join me? Or some people who are in the first week or so of c25k training.

I'd be great to start a small support group to help each other along.

Leila x

Replies

• LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join this support group! I've been stuck on week 3 of c25k, and could use some encouragement!
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    I would love to join you! I started C25K two weeks ago, but repeated Week 1 since I still didn't feel ready to move forward. I'm starting Week 2 this week and am looking to do my first 5K on October 1st.
  • LiveLaughLose♥
    Options
    Hi! I was planning on starting the C25K program tomorrow as well! I actually used to be a runner, but when I started gaining weight I (of course) became completely lazy. I've heard great things about C25K and have really been wanting to start it. I'm excited to have a support group for it! Good luck, we can do this!
  • kiwilan
    kiwilan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start tomorrow too! I have never done it before but have seen so many people do it! I used to really enjoy running as well. So yeah! I will be a newbie :)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Glad there are others out there! Are you going to be running outside? or on the treadmill? x
  • kiwilan
    kiwilan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Outside :)
    I see you live in Oxford! I live in North Wales on Anglesey so I have many hills and countryside around me! What about yourself?x
  • linbaby4
    linbaby4 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'd Love to join!
    I'm have one day left on week one.!
    And I love it already!!!
    You can count me in!! :)
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I started C25K yesterday, so tomorrow (August 1st) is my day 2! I could use the motivation to stick to it! I'll be lurking/posting with you all!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm a C25k grad- started in February, finished in April... running 3-4 miles a day, 4-5 days a week.
    Here's some advice- take your rest days, download a podcast or have the phone apps which tell you when to run and when to walk so you can focus on your running. This isn't a race, run/jog slowly- speed will come later. Get some good running shoes from a running store.
    For the pp who is stuck on week 3- I was, too, but I just went ahead and did week 4 even though I didn't feel ready for it, and I did great on it. You might want to just try it and see how you do.
    It's an awesome program!
    ~maddymama
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do this, but I don't know what it is or how to do it. I ran a half marathon in Feb., and got PF and a stress fracture. I need to start back slowly and do some Fall races!
  • roselover58
    roselover58 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I can't start until the beginning of September, but will cheer you on!
  • kalougri
    kalougri Posts: 12
    Options
    I will join in. I re-started my diet nearly two weeks ago and since then, have been doing a two mile walk/jog every evening. Have been wanting to start this programme and get into running since seeing a few online friends having so much success with it. I have definitely strengthened a bit in the last week, the running parts of my walks have become longer so I am just going to go for it!

Downloaded the bluefin C25K app for my android and am raring to go. Good luck everyone else who is starting this week :)
  • sue567
    sue567 Posts: 128
    Options
    I am in... i just recovered from my Heel Spur nd today was my 1st day of runningon the treadmill... i downloaded the application 2 weeks back but didnt get a chance to start it.. August here we come.. :glasses: :glasses: :bigsmile:
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 of C25K tomorrow. This is actually my third time using it. I first did it back in 2007 and got hooked. After the 5K I kept going and did a 10K, then a half marathon, then a full. Then I got pregnant with my first. When he was 18 months old I started it again and got halfway through then had to stop because I broke my foot (not from running). Before my foot was fully healed I got pregnant with my second who was just born last month.

Just stick with it and pick a pace that you can maintain.
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    my mom and I are starting c25k tomorrow as well! i could definitely use some motivation
  • shonasteele
    Options
    Yay! Good timing - I just did Day 1 and am still alive to talk about it so I am IN! I convinced my hubby to do it with me but can still use all the support I can get! I tried running 3 months ago but quit because of sore knees. This time I'm prepared to go to a sports therapy clinic and get some help with my knees in order to get me through it as I know in the long run (no pun intended) the benefits will far outweigh the cost of a couple of appointments .

Never thought I'd hear myself say it, but I'm actually looking forward to it! :smile:
  • akninsas
    akninsas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner and I have been wanting to try the program so I will start tomorrow!!!
  • sheabutt
    sheabutt Posts: 24
    Options
    I sure do need some inspiration - I'm in! I'm due to start my W2D2 today. But I'm thinking of repeating my Day 1 as it was one hell of a run. Haha.

All my previous attempts at doing C25K have always stopped at either Week 2 or Week 3. I sure do hope I can complete it this time round.

Here's to graduation!

ps: anyone wants to be friends in Fitness Pal? I'm new. Heh.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I just did Week 1 day 1 today. It was actually the second time I did day 1, I did one day last week just to see if I could do it. I was surprised that it wasn't as hard as I had anticipated. However, having said that, the idea of going longer than I did tonight in a week seems intimidating. I am going to get new shoes because I am concerned about the impact on my shins and knees. I am definately only going to do it 3 days a week and take it slow because I am also doing 30 day shred so I don't want to overdo it.
  • knfowler
    knfowler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow as well! I've never been good at running but I have always wanted to try... I'm excited to begin this with all of you!