Only Cardio.. Is it good enough??

Options
Hi Guys .. i joined MFP 2 months back and have lost 4 lbs so far. I had been doing strength training and 30 minutes of cardio. Recently I increased my cardio time to 40 minutes. I try to mix up my regular cardio with High Intensity cardio. 3 days back i felt a sharp pain on my heel.... Apparently my husband thinks it could be Heel Spur so i have not been doing any weights.. just swimming for Cardio(and m a learner not a pro). I am feeling much better now.

So here is the Question.. Should i start doing JUST cardio for a while?? My weight has been stuck ..it keeps on varying between 157-158.5 ... i do weight it increases the day i dont do weights it decreases.. Should go back to the same routine ..i.e. Strength training and Cardio or Just cardio... any suggestion would be helpful..

PS.. i maintain my daily calories nd i dont eat my earned calories..

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: xoxo SUE

Replies

• cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    If it is what I am thinking I get the same things. A sharp pain that lasts a while right in your heel. Feels kinda like a splinter just not as stabby. If that makes sense. I let it rest a day and it although sore seems ok. I chalk it up to poor form while running. You are supposed to hit ball of your foot first not heel. After a day o so the pain goes away and does not come back for a while, like say I land on my heel hard and repeatedly. I am not sure what weight training could cause this problem as I have yet to add this to my workout. I hope maybe someone can help you or possibly seek a docs advice.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    lift heavier if your weight is stuck, or lift faster, do plyometrics...change something up. eat exercise calories in form of protein~!
  • kizzyvasta
    kizzyvasta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :happy: As a fitness professional for the past 25 years I say continue your strength training. Cardio exercise increases your metabolism for a little while after you finish, but as you add muscle you actually burn more calories even at rest. Way more calories every day! This is because muscle is more metabolically active and you expend more calories just maintaining the muscle. Also muscle is very lean so, while you may not see the weight loss on the scale, you will surely lose more inches. And isn't that what really matters? Smaller clothes size? Of course, continue to do cardio for the health of your heart and lungs (and some calorie burn). Don't forget, a pound equals 3,500 calories. So you must create a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose one pound - both from reduced food intake and calories burned during exercise. Hope this helped.
  • sue567
    sue567 Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks Guys for the suggestion.. i guess i'll start up with my weight training again.....
    @cheeksv ... i was landing on my heels ..prolly thats the reason for this pain... thank a ton
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No it's not enough. Increasing muscle mass with increase your metabolism. You must do strength training!
  • sue567
    Options
    No it's not enough. Increasing muscle mass with increase your metabolism. You must do strength training!

M just scared i don't wanna get big.. i mean i wanna be skinny nd toned not muscular ..
  • NickAmrine
    NickAmrine Posts: 34
    Options
    I personally would do strength training... maybe not as often try just 3 times a week with a day or 2 in between each time you lift..you probably won't get big unless you are trying to.... instead of lifting heavy weights, lift lighter weights for more reps and that should get you more toned and not bigger
    also increasing your protein intake and decreasing your carb and sugar intake should bust through that plateau and lower your body fat %
  • sue567
    Options
    I personally would do strength training... maybe not as often try just 3 times a week with a day or 2 in between each time you lift..you probably won't get big unless you are trying to.... instead of lifting heavy weights, lift lighter weights for more reps and that should get you more toned and not bigger
    also increasing your protein intake and decreasing your carb and sugar intake should bust through that plateau and lower your body fat %

Thats doable... ,, Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • shorton1311
    shorton1311 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have read on some sites, to lose weight you do weights but you do it with the lightest weight and do more reps. I do my exercise in the military fashion(since I was Army) do cardio every other day(at the moment I do 30min a day) and then on the other days I do the weights. I do three reps and at the moment I do ten on each machine(except a few I do more-until I feel the burn) The only difference is is I still do 15 min of cardio on those days(I gotta get rid of these thighs) Sundays are my off day :)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I too will affirm the others encouraging you to maintain the resistance training. I alternate resistance and cardio days never doing both on the same day. This lets me recover and manage any soreness. I hit each 3 days a week with nothing on Sunday. Recovery and sleep are important.

Also mix up your activities so that the body doesn't adapt to much. The swimming is great. It may be a better choice than running. Biking (even stationary) is also good for a change up. As for resistance trying alternate heavy/low rep weeks and lighter/higher rep weeks.
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I lift heavy weights 3x a week. My cardio is just my warm ups now and sometimes a bike ride on my off days if the weather is nice. You wont get big since we are women. Dont have the hormones to do that! I have been dropping pretty steady with eating more protein and just watching my sugar and carbs. Drink a whey protein shake after your workout its very important for repair and rebuilding :)

I do 4 sets of 8 reps at pretty high weights. Also make sure you do thinks like pull ups, walking lunges, and squats. The basics work :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No it's not enough. Lifting weights would be enough though.

Women that are 'scared' of becoming big are a massive insult to anyone trying to put on muscle. The fact is, you couldn't if you tried. People dedicate their lives to getting bigger and still fail.

I make sure not to handle a golf club incase I turn pro.

I stubbed my toe on a football and was horrified that I might start getting millions a year to play internationally.

I make sure never to sing out loud incase a record producer overhears me and I have to start touring with my new album.

I dare you, any of you, to try and get muscular.

You will fail
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    there are plenty of things that aren't bad for your foot...

i have plantofaaciitis (spelling?) and my heel pain is constant... so i don't run much or for long. but i use the elliptical, and that is perfectly fine, also the bikes are fine, you are using the front of your foot more.

and i also can jog occasionally on an incline and it's better than on a flat for some reason. I never jog more than once a week because it gets too painful on my heel.

i also do some weight exercises that really get the heart rate up. stand up with 2 dumbells near your feet, bend (squat) and pick up the weights, do a bicep curl, then lift like a clean and jerk above your head, then back down and put them on the floor, bend over into the push up position (try to do a full push up because it's only one, so you don't have to do many in a a row and you get a break in between each), do a push up and return to start position. do 10-12 of them and you'll be sweating. don't use the mini smallest dumb bells, go for the ones in the middle of the rack (i use 7-8kg). going down to the push up position and then up to standing just gets you worn out, it's killer.
  • sue567
    Options
    I lift heavy weights 3x a week. My cardio is just my warm ups now and sometimes a bike ride on my off days if the weather is nice. You wont get big since we are women. Dont have the hormones to do that! I have been dropping pretty steady with eating more protein and just watching my sugar and carbs. Drink a whey protein shake after your workout its very important for repair and rebuilding :)

I do 4 sets of 8 reps at pretty high weights. Also make sure you do thinks like pull ups, walking lunges, and squats. The basics work :)

This is pretty much exactly what i had been doing i just wanted to make sure that I am on the right track.. Thanks..
    I had been doing weights every day.. 6 days a week and cardio too 6 days a week... nd i was getting frustrated because my weight was stuck.. oh well i'll just keep on doing it nd hopefully soon my plateau will break..:smile:
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I can share my experience with no warranties expressed or implied.

I do 1.5 hours of cardio a week. A few strength workouts mixed in but not many. My greatest fear is an injury so I am very careful with all the exercises. I have plenty of time to get there and I know an injury would screw it all up. I'm down 50 pounds and people say I look good.

Good luck with your program.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This is pretty much exactly what i had been doing i just wanted to make sure that I am on the right track.. Thanks..
    I had been doing weights every day.. 6 days a week and cardio too 6 days a week... nd i was getting frustrated because my weight was stuck.. oh well i'll just keep on doing it nd hopefully soon my plateau will break..:smile:
    Are you varying the muscles you work each day? If you're doing a full body weight training session, you really need to take a day off in between sessions to let your muscles recover. After strength training, your muscles hold onto water to help repair themselves faster. If you don't give them a chance to heal, they'll just keep holding onto the water.
  • mislove68
    Options

Are you varying the muscles you work each day? If you're doing a full body weight training session, you really need to take a day off in between sessions to let your muscles recover. After strength training, your muscles hold onto water to help repair themselves faster. If you don't give them a chance to heal, they'll just keep holding onto the water.

Yes rest and repair are so important! You dont want to over train yourself which leads to many issues. I was working out 6 to 7 days a week and since I cut back to to my 3x I have seen a so much better change. I know it sounds counter-productive to workout less and see more results.

Oh and I do upper body say Monday, Friday and lower body Wednesday. Then the next week i switch those. You get a ton of rest between the muscles.
  • sue567
    Options

I never took a break.. every day was a diffrent body part.. and i have been doing all guy workouts.. like man makers, squats with the rod and weights, deadlifts and all.. nd i take Choclate weigh protien sometimes as meal replacement after my workout... How much water muscles retain ?? see when i do legs the next day i would do arms then next day abs ..

So basically i need to do less weights but carry on with my cardio..??
  • mislove68
    Options
    So if you workout 6 days a week do 3 days of strength and 3 days of cardio. Do them on separate days. You dont need to do cardio 6 days a week.

Also search for this forum "Relatively light people trying to get leaner" read this will change you!
  • ninjahonor
    Options

M just scared i don't wanna get big.. i mean i wanna be skinny nd toned not muscular ..

Females biological nature will not allow them to be "bulky" without the use of drugs to enhance something. The reason behind this is because women's muscles tend to be longer than mens. This means you will slim up while guys will get bigger. To do an interesting test, measure the length of your bicep and do the same with a male. You should notice that male biceps are shorter which allows us to leverage more weight. This is why men generally can life more than women. However, longer muscles means you expend less energy doing tasks than we do.