1200 calories!

Options
Need meal and snack ideas for a 1200 calorie day. Are you on a 1200 calorie plan if so what do you eat and how often?

Replies

• Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    I'm on 3000 calories :(
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 is a default minimum. More appropriate for sedentary AND either very petite or elderly women.

If I set my weekly weight loss goal high enough I would be on 1200 (as I don't fit the criteria above). But I choose to eat more because I'm well over 50 and want to keep as much lean muscle mass as I can. Aggressive weight loss comes at a higher price tag than I'm willing to pay.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Try a very mild increase at 5% above your tdee
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »

Did I miss something? Is OP trying to gain weight, or did you mean 5% above BMR?

OP - this is a great thread for newbies: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with snacks. Breakfast is about 300kcal (+150kcal on running days - make sure you eat extra if you exercise), usually overnight oats, lunch 300kcal something like yoghurt, cheese and some fruit, then I have about 600kcal for dinner.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »

The what now?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Need meal and snack ideas for a 1200 calorie day. Are you on a 1200 calorie plan if so what do you eat and how often?

How much weight are you trying to lose and what is your weekly goal set to?

1200 is the bare minimum, plus you should be logging exercise and eating at least some of those calories back.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My snack is my protein shake :D 1200 calories isn't a lot so what we do eat has to be very nutrient dense. Plus I get most of my calories from protein. I'm a bit opposite from the poster above. I do three meals a day around 300 calories then my protein shake is filled with all sorts of good protein and fiber (more of a meal). You might as well say 4 meals a day.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I try for 300cal meals with and 300cal buffer for snacks. I try to not eat much in the evening as I have read it is better to eat more earlier in the day and not just before bed.
  • knoxy550
    knoxy550 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200cals. I have porridge and a few blueberries for breakfast, a small apple for snack in the morning. Then soup for lunch (no bread) and a yogurt to finish. Dinner could be boiled potato, 0.5 tin of beans and 2 rashers grilled bacon and before bed maybe 2 rich tea fingers (have medication to take) and cup of tea. If I go over 1200 what extra calories I gain for exercise usually covers it and maybe have a few calories left. U do allow myself some treats as well although I do log them, but knowing I have to record them sometimes makes me think twice before eating the treat as I don't want to go over the cals I am allowed. Hope this makes sense and helps you make up your own meals.
  • DobbyWinky
    DobbyWinky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1,200 a day. Potatoes are really good for lower calorie. They're all carb and starch, but it's not like eating candy or bread all the time. They are also really filling. I suggest having one with dinner. Also, mint chewing gum can help with appetite during the day if you want to snack. Most are five calories a stick, so that doesn't really hurt. Eat plenty of vegetables and light fruits. Like lettuce, you could munch all you want and it would still be low in calories. Just do some research on low calorie foods you can eat in high volume and drink plenty of water.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    1200 is a default minimum. More appropriate for sedentary AND either very petite or elderly women.
    This made me curious to the minimum required for a petite elderly man.
  • novalee1980
    novalee1980 Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I changed it to 1330 calories a day to give myself a little lee way but yesterday I only ended up eating just under 1200. I'm only 5'0 tall. To get in my normal weight range according to the internet I need to lose at least 22 pounds.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I changed it to 1330 calories a day to give myself a little lee way but yesterday I only ended up eating just under 1200. I'm only 5'0 tall. To get in my normal weight range according to the internet I need to lose at least 22 pounds.

Ok, so let's say you want to lose 25 lbs (you can always decide to lose more once you get there if you want!). Based on that, you should really be set to lose no more than 1 lb per week. Get a food scale and weigh all solids and semi-solids - when you're little you don't have much wiggle room. Plus, log your exercise and eat back some of those calories. Good luck!
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Soup! Very low calorie, very filling!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    susanayt97 wrote: »
    Soup! Very low calorie, very filling!

Yes soup is filling, but you don't stay full for very long.
  • novalee1980
    novalee1980 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well I just did a bmi calculator and I need to lose 28 pounds not 22 :(
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    This made me curious to the minimum required for a petite elderly man.

it would be 1500 (which is the lowest for men) unless under the care of a dr
  • raphonzel
    raphonzel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same here, 1200 calories everyday but I eat less than 1200. I feel fine so far. My doctor is monitoring me. So far so good. It is my 6th day of intermittent fasting.