Hypothyroidism and calculating Basal Metabolic Rate

Options
13»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Please I warn all of you, do NOT take Armour!!!
    I tried it a year ago and it almost took my life on numerous occasions! I here the same lies about Armour being a better choice than Levothyroxine, but please don't believe it. Armour made my thyroid go nuts. It was dangerously low, then dangerously high, then ended up with Hashimotos. It made me suicidal, constant severe panic attacks, insomnia, and depression. I had to stop working. I urge all of you to try something else other than Armour. It can kill you.

Hashi's is an autoimmune disease, and Armour didn't give you that. It's genetic.

The very high/very low thyroid levels you describe actually sound like a typical thing that happens when Hashi's is acting up. I've had similar happen to me on Synthroid and I know others have as well. It's not the drug, it's the disease.
  • alexandra9119
    alexandra9119 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi I am on the generic. I was on 125mg even though my labs were okay I still told my endocrinologist that I felt blah and I couldn't lose my stubborn weight. My thyroid was a little off with the labs but I now take 137 that and small healthy portions during the week and on weekends I treat myself in moderation. I literally dropped my weight and now I'm my old weight from my 20s. I was diagnosed when I was 26 . I felt nauseous sometimes I was doing my externship and just didn't feel right and I just thought it was because I was busy and didn't give myself time to relax. My actual thyroid gland was getting bigger. It was not obvious lol but I have hoshymotoes very bad and have autoimmune system problem I can't fight flu or anything else like a normal adult that has a healthy immune system. Only go to an endocrinologist ONLY for thyroid . They know that's their specialty!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    bex879165 wrote: »
    Before I would recalculate your BMR, I would have your thyroid labs taken and reevaluate your medication. If you are taking a synthetic medication(such as synthroid), I would consider changing to a natural form of thyroid(armour thyroid). Check out www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. Some studies, and people's testimonies about changing medication, have shown that armour thyroid, naturesthyroid, and I think there are a few more names, to improve people's thyroid symptoms. Some of the synthetic thyroid medicines actually don't treat all of the aspects of the thyroid. I think there are four different things that a thyroid panel checks for and synthetic meds only treat a couple of them.

Have added this site to my favourites for later but looks really interesting!!

Personally, I cannot stand this website. It's biased, sensationalist language and "information" is hardly helpful.

About.thyroid.com has some great message boards with folks who are on armour as well as synthetics and provides a balanced approach to managing hypothyroidism.

If you're not already, get a referral to an endocrinologist who will better understand symptoms and treatments. Regular GPs generally don't have the most up-to-date info.

I tried armour and it didn't work for me. The synthetics have been much better for me. What you need is a doctor who will listen to you and treat your symptoms and not not go by the numbers. There's a normal range for a reason. You need to find your sweet spot. I do better at the lower end of the normal range.

The poster who mentioned timing was right--wait at least 4 hours before eating and know that calcium can impact absorption. So can antacids, but they impact almost any medication. Take them as far away from thyroid meds as possible.

I take my meds in the middle of the night. The T4 (synthroid, levoxyl) accumulates over time, but the T3 (cytomel) is fast acting and in and out within 24 hours. Missing a dose can drastically affect a TSH test.

I've read soy, stone fruits, and vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower (especially raw) can impact people. I think the affect is individual, if at all. I eat tons of the above and am fine.

My doctor also showes me a couple studies about selenium and thyroid function. I now eat one Brazil nut a day. The only food I don't log. More is not better--selenium is classified as a heavy metal and can be dangerous in higher doses.

Many people with Hashi's also have other immuno disorders like PCOS. Be sure there's nothing else there affecting your body and ability to lose weight.

I've lost almost 120 pounds post-diagnosis, once my levels were stable. The biggest problem for me was calorie intake, not a slower metabolism. I thought, I SWORE, I was eating minimal calories. Truth is, I wasn't. I was exercising, but wasn't that active overall. I thought I could exercise my way through to a deficit. I overestimated my calories out. I made some changes. Been in maintenance for almost three years. It is possible.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am hypo, taking armour thyroid and aiming for 1200 net a day. I eat back exercise calories and losing 1.5lbs a week or so. So far mfp and my bmr calculation have been accurate
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have a question too......

I only started taking levothyroxine on Wednesday, Im already on some meds that I take all together at night when I go to bed (amitriptyline for the nerve pain in damaged nerves from emergency c section in Nov 15, the combined pill ...but am stopping this soon as having marina coil fitted this month, and codeine as well as ventolin and fostair for my asthma)

so I have been taking the levothyroxine at the same time as all of the above..........should I be taking it at a different time to all of these other meds or is it ok to take it at night at the same time??
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend it - but ask your pharmacist, they should be able to tell you about any potential interactions with other drugs
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    ok thanks will have a chat with them
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Clinical data shows that hypothyroidism impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) by ~5%. That's about 60 kcals/day out of a 1200 kcal/day budget.

If you are really curious get a metabolics workup done. Several outpatient clinics out there that can conduct metabolic testing and give you a fairly accurate panel.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    So, here's the thing with the generic drugs. My old endocrinologist told me this and kept me on name-brand drugs. The medicine is exactly the same between the generic and name-brand meds. However, different generics use different colorings, fillers, binders and coatings, while your name brand meds always use the same stuff. My old doc though the interaction of the different things could make a difference. When you're on generic drugs, what you get can change from prescription to prescription as the pharmacy will often buy whichever generic is cheapest at the time when they stock up. Your medicine is consistent, but your medication might not be--if that makes sense. My doc thought thyroid issues were hard enough to deal with, why throw another variable (or four) into the mix. Dunno if it was true, but she was concerned enough to fight (and win with the insurance company) to keep me on the name brand stuff.

I am now on generic meds, but I have Kaiser now and they make their won generics or contract from the same companies consistently. Mine are always the same, and SO MUCH cheaper!