Eating exercise calories.

Options
How many of you eat your exercise calories?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I do. Not all of them, but definitely some of them.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    I do. All of them.

Do the experiment: pick either "yes" "no" or "some of them." Do that for a month, see how it affects you. I use a set number for an hour of moderate exercise, because I've been at this for ten years and I know from past data that is what works for me.
  • ndjohnson526
    ndjohnson526 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat them but sometimes do.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I try not to eat them but sometimes do.

Well, you'll find out if that works. It's a big ole science project. You're the guinea pig. :)

Welcome to the site.
  • skigal303
    skigal303 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do. All of them.

Do the experiment: pick either "yes" "no" or "some of them." Do that for a month, see how it affects you. I use a set number for an hour of moderate exercise, because I've been at this for ten years and I know from past data that is what works for me.

Where do you find that setting?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    skigal303 wrote: »
    I do. All of them.

There's not a setting. You can manually adjust your exercise calories burned as you enter them into your diary.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    MFP calculates your deficit without exercise. When you exercise you increase that deficit, possibly to dangerous levels. It takes energy to fuel your workouts.

You WANT a 500 calorie deficit to lose 1lb per week 1,000 is really the highest you should go (assuming you're 75lbs or more overweight) unless you've significantly more than 75 to lose. I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact numbers.

Exercise is for health and fitness. Calorie deficit is for weight.

And just my n=1: to lose 1lb/week I'm on 1380 calories, meaning I probably maintain on around 900. If I walk for three hours at 3mph, MFP tells me I burned just under 800 calories. If I don't eat some of those back, I'm pretty darned hungry.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat back my calories from exercise. In order to lose the weight (2 lbs. a week) MFP has me set at 1280 calories which is NOT a lot of food. So I exercise and can eat more. I also enjoy working out, it is stress release and also will keep me in better condition than not exercising.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    skigal303 wrote: »
    I do. All of them.

It's not a setting. It's a decision. So you either eat them back, you don't, or you eat some of them. Pick one.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I choose to not eat my exercise calories. If I'm working hard to burn them, I don't want to eat them back. My doctor and dietician are completely supportive of NOT eating exercise calories.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I do so I reach at least 1200 cals net for the day
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I use TDEE so I don't have to deal with eating back exercise calories. My daily calorie burn is pretty consistent day to day, so I just focus on keeping calories where they need to be and turn off the "add back calories" feature on MFP.
  • Gab149
    Gab149 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    zjpq wrote: »

I didn't say you didn't. I was just speaking generally.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm a huge runner....I run 4-7 miles per workout. Im burning a lot of cals. If I don't eat a bigger dinner and eat back some of those cals I feel like crud. Huge deficits are great if you want to hurt yourself. Also, remember that exercising is worth it for more than just losing weight, you're also toning muscle, being healthy and maintaining an awesome metabolism.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    belleflop wrote: »
    I'm so confused by this. Why in the world would you eat back calories burned from exercise? For example: If I burn 900 calories at the gym and my TDEE for maintenance is 3000 and I eat 2500 calories that day, I have a deficit of 1400 (500+900) with exercise. Eating back the 900 calories I burned from exercise would only give me a 500 calorie deficit. Wouldn't staying home not exercising and eating -500 TDEE maintenance produce the same result net calories wise? Someone explain the logic of this to me please.

Unless you are overestimating your exercise burn or underestimating your food intake, you will burn out with a deficit that steep. Gotta fuel those workouts. That's why I eat back most of my exercise.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Gab149 wrote: »
    zjpq wrote: »

I didn't say you didn't. I was just speaking generally.

Huh? Was answering the OP...